New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

I needed to take advantage of the expanded 80gb cap on the Express plan, so I was forced into upgrading my modem.  The local Rogers Store was selling the new New Rogers Gateway Hiltron for $149.  I knew that this was going to be a gong show, but I really had no choice.

I currently have my own wireless router,  A 10 year old Linksys WRT54G which gives maximum bar signal strength all throughout my 2 story house and I have it located in the basement.  I generally get download speeds of 16 to 22 mbps on my laptops and Ipads in all locations in the house.

Now the story.....I hook up this new New Rogers Gateway Hiltron box.  Connects flawlessly out of the box.  I am getting speeds well over 30 Mbps!! on my laptops (while beside the unit) and Ipads were only getting 6 to 7 Mbps right beside it.

I start to move around my house.  By the time I get to the 2nd floor, the speed had dropped to 6 Mbps on the laptops and 3 Mbps on the ipad.  During that time the connection kept dropping randomly every 15 minutes.

I am not happy!!

I call Rogers Tech support and tell him that I want to use this new BOX as a modem in Bridge mode.  After a few reboots and reconnecting my old linksys, I now enjoy speeds of 18 to 25 Mbps on ALL devices in all corners of my home.

UNREAL

My next call will be to customer service to voice my displeasure.  Other than that, life is good.  lol

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

It is the same story with every garbage gateway provided by Rogers - POOR WIRELESS RANGE AND DROPPED CONNECTIONS! Smiley Sad

Unfortunately, it is the customers who have to suffer because of policies and business practices created and pushed from the top down by a very select few. There are times when I actually feel some sympathy towards the CSRs and the social media reps who are actually forced to defend the dreadful equipment provided by Rogers. It is interesting to read the comments from customers on Facebook (on a daily basis) who complain about these modems and their poor performance and seeing the same canned responses from Rogers. Never do they admit the deficiencies in their equipment. Never do they inform customers of what the solution is - bridge mode with your own router. One can only assume that their hands are tied. One can only hope though that they report customer experiences to the "select few" and that one day, Rogers might provide some decent equipment. 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@IHR:

your comments: "...times when I actually feel some sympathy towards the CSRs and the social media reps who are actually forced to defend the dreadful equipment..." are totally correct and to the point.  The CSR's are, for the most part, just the messengers.  It is inappropriate as well as unjust to shoot the messenger, no matter how frustrated we are with the service we get from the Company.

I know I personally have found that difficult.  So, let's hear it for the poor CSR's in the front lines who get to deal with the problems and customer frustration on a daily basis.

skinorth

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364 and REALLY slow speeds FIXED 03-12-2012

No It should keep its settings. The only way it would go back to reuter mode is if u physically reset the modem via control page or the little black button on the side with the "U" looking symbol on the side of the modem. But honestly it doesnt take much to set it back to bridge mode, while connected to the modem, open up a browser page and for the URL put in "192.168.0.1" their will be a login page (factory set login name is "cusadmin"  and password is simply "password". Just look around on the different tabs and u will see a spot to change it between "reuter mode" and "bridged"......I hope that helps.    Also for any of the people having problems with speeds after 4pm - 12am, mine was dropping down to 1 mbps on a 35 mb connection so after much messing around with service calls and techs, i was told by someone on here to get ahold of the CAT team, and i did.....they knew exactly why.........he said collingwood, ON had alot of congestion and their are replacing curtian handware to fix the problem......they called back with an update 2 days later, saying the next day the problem would be fixed..........and it is   Wired im running 45 mbps and 2.95 mb up.

The CAT team gets it figured out quick

I've Been Around

It's a piece of crap for wifi. Getting half the signal quality I was with the old Scientific Atlanta little blue box modem plus a store-bought wifi router. Took me over 2 hrs to stream a movie off AppleTV with the "upgraded" Hitron. Plugged my old wifi router into the Hitron, and I do now get better speed than my old setup but now I can't get anything else to work. So yeah. This is nowhere near a "plug and play" solution.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I know it is too late for a Christmas present from Rogers, but my hope for 2013 is that Rogers will finally realize that their so-called "plug and play" solution does not work. The choices are obvious - either find a gateway modem that actually works and will provide a decent Wi-Fi connection with range throughout your house and no dropped connections or a good, solid stand-alone D3 modem. There are just too many frustrated customers out there for Rogers to continue to ignore. Or can they?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have tried Hitron and it is not better than Roger's D3 modem. My wireless speed went down to 3 from 16.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sa89:

Was it on the wireless on the Hitron? It's likely the wireless that's doing it :(. Some people have reported insanely slow with the wireless on these devices.
Putting it In bridged mode with your own, should be fine, I have that setup and on wireless (near the router) can pull max speeds for my plan

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I want to take advantage of the higher speeds and bigger bandwith allocation, but after reading this board, I have no interest in getting this Hitron modem.  Is there no alternative?  By that I mean, can't a person simply go to BestBuy and purchase a modem that will allow the switch to the higher-speed service, but not have to use the Rogers modem?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There have been a VERY VERY few who have got 3rd party modems working.. but pretty much.. they cant be registered on the rogers system.. therefore cant be allocated.. and wont work.

Depending on which package you go with.. some need the Hitron.. some can use the SMC or CISCO as well.

The device.. as a MODEM itself, is not bad.  If you change it to bridged mode, they tend to work well.  Its just everything else otherwise.. the wireless, the administration, etc.. that sucks.