New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

@JetCanada wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to make the HITRON just be a cable modem and still use my Netgear R6300.   So far no, no luck.

It has become a common occurrence ever since the D3 gateways were introduced. First the SMC; then the Cisco; and now the Hitron. Trying to get Rogers to admit that there is anything wrong is like trying to take candy from a kid. They will tell you just about anything: reboot your modem; change the channel; don't place the modem too near walls or locate the modem in a centralized location (which may not always be possible). This week on Facebook, I finally saw a post from a Rogers Rep who finally admitted that a more powerful router might be needed. Come on Rogers - customers are not supposed to have to use their own router with a gateway. It defeats the purpose and besides, you are charging customers an extra $3.00 per month to use an inferior piece of equipment.

Anyway JetCanada, at the very least, you should be able to call Rogers and they can remotely change your modem to bridge mode, thereby allowing you to hook up your Netgear R6300.

anh2
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Everyone,

Something dawn on my last night. Did everyone pc have NIC with capacity at 10/100 not 10/100/1000 port and using category 6 but using old cat5e? I am thinking this could be part of the cause for wired user having some trouble. I checked with manufacturer, there should be an administrative page whereby you can set the LAN port to 10 or 100 full or half duplex as well. Will try to implement these setting and if the modem and its lan port fail again with another desktop then i will buy gigabit nic card wtih cat6 before sending back this modem since the client is very happy with wireless speed. They have not reported any packet loss yet.

Good luck all.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Another interesting read for those, like myself, who had high hopes that the Hitron would be an improvement over the SMC or the Cisco!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27598072-Extreme-Plus-Hitron-Technologies-CGN2-ROG

JetCanada
I Plan to Stick Around

This is the new cable modem and wi-fi router all-in-one gateway from Rogers.    I replaced my old D2 modem with this gateway because it was the only device that Rogers offered to get the higher GB download limit.    Upon connecting the device, the following problems immediately happened:

- It isn't dual band.   The 5GHz band immediately disappeared, leaving only the 2.4GHz band.   Not a problem, unless you have a dual band router (Netgear R6300) and were connecting devices at the higher speeds.

- The wireless signal was extremely poor, even in the same room.  I have 2 x Windows PC's, 2 x Macbooks, 2 x iPhones, 1 x iPAD, 1 x Wii, 1 x PS3, and 2 x wireless printers.    With the Netgear R6300, every device connected anywhere in my house with a strong reliable wireless  signal.   With the Hitron CGN2, every device constantly kept disconnecting and my entire home network came to a grinding halt for three days.

If you are having this issue, here's how I fixed it:

1. Get a decent wireless wi-fi router.   I recommend the Netgear R6300, but feel free to substitute your favourite here.

2. Make sure your Hitron CGN2 is turned on and connected to the Internet

3. Call Rogers, navigate to the live tech support for Internet, and ask the tech to switch your gateway to bridge mode only (apparently this option is not available to you via the admin GUI).   This will disable the wi-fi and routing features of the gateway.   Your gateway will reboot and reconnect to the Internet.

4. Plug the Internet port on  your router from step #1 into port 1 of the CGN2.  Make sure that your router is on.

5. Power cycle the CGN2 by pulling out the adapter, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in.

6. Run the setup on your router.   It will reconfigure the WAN portion and should keep all of your current wireless settings.

Every device came back on-line immediately after doing those steps with a much stronger signal and seemingly reliable connection.     I will monitor for a few days and if there are issues, I'll add another post.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, that is the solution to every one of the gateway modems provided by Rogers - bridge mode and use your own router. Thanks for informing people that the only way to put the Hitron into bridge is for Rogers to do it for you. It really is sad that this company, who once provided decent equipment, can no longer provide anything that is not a POS! Have a read here as well.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27598072-Extreme-Plus-Hitron-Technologies-CGN2-ROG

JetCanada
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you IHR.  That is exactly what I ended up doing.

1. Make sure the HITRON CGN2 is connected to the internet

2. Call Rogers and get to a tech that will turn it to bridge mode

3. Wait until it reboots

4. Connect Internet port of router to port #1 of CGN2

5. Power cycle CGN2

6. Run setup on router

Bingo... everything worked like a charm.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i agree, we shouldnt have to do this..

But thank you, for the step by step instructions on how to do it.

EddieDZ
I Plan to Stick Around

Well it turned out it was not my hitron modem causing the packet loss, after swapping the modem it was still happening, tech came out today and had to replace a damage cable line outside the house. All is good now, shouldnt have blame the modem right away but then again thats all we do anyway hahahah
Lawful
I've Been Around

I have been getting disconnected way too often lately so I assumed that it was my smc that needed an upgrade since it's been with us for quite a while now. After I exchanged the smc for the hitron modem I set it up via the usb key that it came with and well, I still get disconnected. This wouldn't be so bad if I was able to log in to the modem which I can't because I always get "The Login Attempt Failed"

I've tried cusadmin/password cusadmin/(password on the usb setup) etc

It doesn't work. I was on live chat with someone and as soon as I told them the setup password didn't work either, I got disconnected. Hopefully someone will see this and know what the username and password is.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

It seems like a lot of people would like this information. It also seems like they are out of luck.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27462919-Hitron-Modem-Rogcesadmin-password

If you are looking to have it put into bridge mode so that you can use your own router, I also read on another forum that the only way to do this for the Hitron is to call Rogers and have them do it remotely.  

Perhaps someone from Rogers would care to share, especially in view of the fact that every D3 gateway provided by Rogers seems to suffer from disconnects.