New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

I don't think Rogers is capable of fixing the problems with any of their D3 gateways. The only solution is a standalone D3 modem.

Kingscorpio
I've Been Around

Has Anyone faced with issues where you select DHCP reserve as forever and still the IP's change. I am using Hitron as my Router and Buffalo WRT G300NH as my access point.  Everytime I reboot any of my machines even the wired PC's which are directly connected to the Hitron router, the IP's change. 

For reference I am attaching an image where you cna clearly see same mac address having 2 IP addresses. 

http://postimage.org/image/6pq2ho55v/

As a security had to scramble some Mac's.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are using DHCP on those devices, they will grab normaly new addresses, when the device restarts, etc... they will grab IP addresses based on the order that they connect to the device.

Really all in all, if you dont want to have to change the addresses all the time, you would be better to set a static address for the device, then you know it will never change.

I have 10+ devices that connect to the internet in my household.. the only things that i do have set to connect with dhcp is the cell phones and tablet.  All the PCs are set static.

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@All:

the key point to keep in mind with dhcp is that you cannot rely on the IP address being assigned to a given device to be the same over time.  My experience has varied in this regard.  Some of the router equipment that I use seem to assign pretty much the same IP address to the same device each time.

This may be the result of having a fairly static population of desktop PC's, etc.  So, at one time I did create an IP addressing plan and assigned the desktops here fixed/static IP addresses, outside of the dhcp range being used by the dhcp server function on the router.

You can find out the dhcp IP address range being used by looking at the "Setup" pages for your router.  It is usually located on the same page where you enable or disable dhcp on the router.  In many cases you will be able to change the dhcp IP address range on your router if you need to do so.

Devices like laptops, tablets and smart phones being portable, will potentially need to be used in other locations, on other networks/LAN's.  In that case it is mandatory that the device use dhcp to obtain its IP address.  It is simply impractical to require the users of such portable devices to perform some kind of reconfiguration when they need to connect (typically by WiFi) at another location than the "normal" home/office network.  The same holds if you have, for example, laptops (or even desktops that get taken elsewhere) that use wired ethernet access.

If you absolutely must have a fixed IP address on a device, then it is mandatory that you develop some kind of more or less formal IP addressing plan/strategy and assign a fixed/static IP address to each of those devices.  Make sure that those fixed/static IP addresses fall outside of the dhcp range being used by the dhcp server/router you are using on your network.  If you do not, you risk getting IP addressing conflicts, which will cause trouble for  you.  You will experience mysterious communications failures and "duplicate IP address" messages on your computers.

skinorth

User216
I've Been Around

Just got this modem to replace my old Cisco one.

Wireless range is clearly less than my Cisco.  Plugged in speeds are good.

Both units were in the exact same place with exact same connections.  Now a number of rooms in my house no longer have access.  Tried customer service.

I have tried changing channels.   channel 1 is bad, channel 11 decent.   

The unit does not have the range of my old cisco router:<  

looking at other options now:<

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rogers168 wrote:

Just got this modem to replace my old Cisco one.

Wireless range is clearly less than my Cisco.  Plugged in speeds are good.

Both units were in the exact same place with exact same connections.  Now a number of rooms in my house no longer have access.  Tried customer service.

I have tried changing channels.   channel 1 is bad, channel 11 decent.   

The unit does not have the range of my old cisco router:<  

looking at other options now:<

Channel wise, 11 technicaly has the highest frequency of them all, so it would usualy go farther.

Really in the end, if with any of the gateways, if they do not have the range you need, your best option at that point, is to add a 3rd party router.
You can either just add it as an access point (the gateway still handling DHCP, etc), or change it to bridged mode, where the gateway will now act like a modem.

anh2
I've Been Here Awhile

I have one client today that has the opposite issue with his wireless connections from various laptop(window 7 and mac) connecting fine. But connecting via rj45 we have issue, both chrome and ie9 (window 7 sp3 prof) have extreme slowness, ping router no problem, ttl91 ping rogers.com ttl120. Connecting to router admin pages to make changes face issue of being timed out. Called tech support, they replied could be cable rj45 is damaged. Found another brand new in plastic bag, still same issue. Tested cable with laptop window 7 dnload speed from speedtest.net is half( via wireless 70Mbps+ via cable rj45 with both wired cables 30Mbps). I thought it was QOS setting or something in router, but when I logged into it finally with tech support help cusadmin profiles I saw a very basic setup, nothing with QOS. What could be causing the desktop to crawl at that speed? Had it at my house with cable internet at 20Mbps no issue for 3 days testing for malwares and virus found nothing.

Normally my speed tests are faster with wired settings but this is a first for me with wired setting being slow to nonexistent and wireless being extremely fast.

Thanks in advance.

anh2
I've Been Here Awhile

we have same issue with it but our desktop is window 7 prof.
JetCanada
I Plan to Stick Around

Picked up the HITRON on Friday to replace my old cable modem (which was working fine, but I wanted the extra 20GB on Express).

The so called "enhanced wi-fi modem" is supposed to have the strongest signal and no dead zones.   Guess what?  My entire house, except the room where the modem is installed, is now a dead zone.  I have five PC's and 2 wireless printers... and none of them work reliably any more.   The signal is weak and all of my connections continuously go up and down with my network apps crashing and Web page performance is spotty at best.    I was using the Netgear R6300 and that truly reached every device in my house with a strong reliable wireless signal.   The HITRON is useless to me... other than the modem part.

I'm trying to figure out how to make the HITRON just be a cable modem and still use my Netgear R6300.   So far no, no luck.

EddieDZ
I Plan to Stick Around

well today i started to get packet loss, no problems in the area after calling in, pinging to 192.168 was fine and pinging to the WAN ip was also fine, rogers tech support also confirm the packet loss on the modem side.. got a tech coming tuesday afternoon, im gonna try swapping the modem today and see if it resolves it, if it does then this will be my 3rd hitron since August LoL. so far not too impressed, i had my old SMC D3GN for almost 2 yrs with flawless performance.