New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

It's now shortly after 7:30 am and I've watched the box reboot, work well for about 3 minutes, and then reboot again. I've tried doing a manual reboot a couple of times with no success.

I called Rogers and their system shows the box hasn't rebooted in over 2 hours.....even though it rebooted twice while I was on the phone with tech support.

Is this a Navigatr problem? Is this happening to anyone else in the Mississauga area? Any suggestions......other than swapping boxes and losing a couple hundred recordings?
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@KWoo  My box rebooted at 04:06AM, but other than that it has been fine.  I am in Mississauga on Navigatr.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Been having same problems for 2 months now! Finally resorting to the Android phone which helps somewhat. Cannot use our tablet as it is Android Lollipop software release. Decided to post something and add our name to all disgruntled and frustrated users of Navigatr.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@ozham

You can also use the Manage PVR feature. After being removed for 6 months, it is finally back right here: http://www.rogersondemand.com/?lang=en

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have patiently worked through this new Navigator menu system and even though I am very technicaly capable and computer literate, etc, I cannot for the life of me imagine how Rogers could allow anything so user unfriendly, unintuitive and inefficient to be commercialized for use by the public.

Just a few of many gripes:

- I can no longer see a quick list of what I copied and what is scheduled - instead I have to go through each one individualy on a page of blocks which have to be each opened up.

- When I finish watching an episode I am returned to the original list beginning with the episode I haven't watched yet. If you accidentaly delete what you would expect to see (the last one you watched) you lose the wrong one.

- I can't even recall all the times I set to record, saw the little red dot and then when the time came - nothing got recorded.

- I set a program/series to record and it proceeds on its own to record the program in duplicate on every channel that was showing it.

- I set to record one night, then the next nigtht I want to check if I did set it because I couldn't remember. It doesn't show up anywhere in the ridiculous designed list of boxes so I am forced to wander in the guide to see where it was and if I recorded it. Sure enough - there it is - the red dot, yet nowhere in the block list does it show anything.

- I am watching a recorded event. I decide I want to get a bit more info on the program. I hit the Info button. When I return to watch the program it starts me back at the beginning instead of where I was.

The old system wasn't the best but surely we don't deserve this. I personaly am giving Rogers until Chrismas to fix it. If not fixed I will most definitely be moving out of Rogers.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@diron Your comment points out that the designers of the Navigatr interface are either 1) incredibly incompetent, and, it would seem, whoever made the decisions about how the guide would work has NEVER used a PVR on their own, in real life, or, 2) Rogers has INTENTIONALLY crippled the PVR with the Navigatr interface because they WANT to push us away from recording programs and skipping commercials - and back more often to watching live TV.

This would make sense, because, for a multiple number of reasons - Rogers makes more money when we watch more commercials.

I've said it before (and I'm not the only one), but Rogers is going to lose MANY thousands of customers if they push Navigatr out to all of Ontario in anything close to it's current form.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@billmcintyre wrote:

2) Rogers has INTENTIONALLY crippled the PVR with the Navigatr interface because they WANT to push us away from recording programs and skipping commercials - and back more often to watching live TV.

This would make sense, because, for a multiple number of reasons - Rogers makes more money when we watch more commercials.

That's a bit conspiratorial, but likely true.  I'm sure commercials can be skipped automatically entirely because breaks have to be flagged in the signal so individual stations can insert their own ads in the network feed. I remember in the analog days you'd see a little flashing square in the top corner of the picture. Of course they won't allow that. The most efficient way  is skip 30 second increments like I can on my DVDR because you get accustomed to the length in the programming you're watching.  With my 8300 I use double or triple fast forward. With the first you still see and recognize the ads, which is what Rogers wants, and with the second you have to be really quick on the trigger and still recognize the ads.  Today's ads are designed to get the message across even if you just catch a glimpse.  The 3 minute skip is hit-or-miss and you may have to still back up or FF.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I seriously doubt there is any strategy involving ads. This is simply a rant about a very poorly designed Navigator interface. It's hard to imagine anyone in management was so irresponsible as to allow this design to pass, however, having spent years in a large corporation - it's totally possible.

In truth, I doubt it can be fixed or updated and will likley require a complete redesign, reintro and download program to solve the problem. In the past several months I have met no one with a good word to say about it and most are as frustrated and fed up as myself and strongly considering alternative cable suppliers.

I would never return to watching tv with it's rapidly increasing ad space. One hour shows with only 40 min of actual material - no thanks. It's bad enough that the networks now sell space at the bottom of the screen interupting and blocking your view of whatever little program is actually remaining.  It's no wonder pay programming (Netfilx, Shomi, HBO, internet streaming, etc) have become so popular.

Anyhow - off topic again 🙂 ........ Rogers - do something amazing for a change and maybe you'll get to keep or even attract a few new customers. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The "feature" whereby the Nextbox doesn't record scheduled programs bit me last night and as a result I missed the first episode of the new Daily Show season.

I had been waiting for this for weeks so last Tuesday I scheduled the series via the web interface while I was on the road. On Wednesday I checked to make sure that the series was marked for recording - it was.  Returned home on Saturday and checked with the NB interface that it was scheduled - it was scheduled for 4 episodes - correct!

Got up this morning - went to watch the program - nada. Not only had it not recrded it had completely forgotten the series.

I have had enough of this and the minute I am home long enough to get it sorted will be getting an antenna installed, purchasing a Tivo Roamio (https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio#/roamio for others seeking escape) and telling Rogers where they can stick their pathetic excuse for a system.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Since this latest Rogers update I have never been able to use the web based interface. I used it often on my iPad in the "good old days" and was very satisfied. Now ,either because of Apples lates OS updates and or Rogers inability to keep up to date or get their new Navigator software to work, the web based program is pretty much junk. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is getting it to work - probably a new topic.