cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Hcoates
I Plan to Stick Around

Apparently in order to switch to Bell Fibe I also have to change my internet from Rogers to Bell.  A bit of a pain, but if can tolerate Navigatr for a couple of months, guess I can deal with changing over these two services.  

Rogers if you are planning to rectify this situation say so, the fall programs will be starting soon and I want a reliable user friendly system to record and watch my programs

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Hcoates wrote:

Apparently in order to switch to Bell Fibe I also have to change my internet from Rogers to Bell.  A bit of a pain, but if can tolerate Navigatr for a couple of months, guess I can deal with changing over these two services.  

Rogers if you are planning to rectify this situation say so, the fall programs will be starting soon and I want a reliable user friendly system to record and watch my programs

Reliable, AND User Friendy?   Afraid Navigatr is 0 for 2 on that.

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Hcoates  I am by no means an expert on this so please double check for yourself, but I have read that it is possible to get Fibe TV with 0 Internet.  Then, because Rogers is Cable for internet, you could leave cable internet in place.

Here is a link from Digtal Home that describes how one person achieved it.  Granted, getting through to the right person at Bell could be complicated.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/2194417-post155.html

I have been researching this for some time, because if I switch to Bell because of all the Rogers issues, I want to run both in parallel and I cannot find anyone at Bell who can tell me what wiring I would need to add inside the house to do this.  The only way seems to be to sign up for Fibe and then talk to the installation team.

took a peek at that thread.. and yeah is what i suspect.  They STILL had bell fibe internet.. it was just a insanely low package for free that ONLY the TV was using.

Fibe is TV over IP, over the internet.  Its usage is not 'counted' as regular internet usage.. but its still the transport medium for it.
So yes, would still require Fibe for internet overall.

Fibe runs off the phone line into the house.. and off their modem/wireless, etc for its devices.. so shouldnt have any issues..

Other than running the two wifi could cause its own interfearance.

If your home is fairly new, within the last 10 to 15 years for example, it might have structured wiring installed, which is a cable bundle that runs to each room from the Structured Wiring Cabinet in the basement.  That bundle consists of 2 RG-6 cables for Satellite or Cable, one Cat-5e ethernet cable for data, and one Cat-3, possibly Cat-5e for telephones. 

If you have that in your home, you could run two independent cable systems within the home, up to the receivers at the tv.  At the TV it would be a matter of having enough HDMI inputs or combinations of inputs to give you access to both tv providers.

The internet could be handled by using a Load Balancing Router, or a Dual Wan Load Balancing router, however you want to call it.  This has two WAN ports for two different data sources or ISP services and would simply plug into the existing home network on the LAN side of the router.  You wouldn't know which portion of the data came from which source as the router handles all of the IP manipulation.

Externally you would need a second cable feed, or cable and Fibre feed to the home.  If its fibre from Bell, that connects to an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which then connects to your internal home network, or possibly the cable system as well.  I'm not sure how the ONT feeds a bell tv receiver.  Yes, they do wifi tv, but my question is, can the ONT connect to a normal cable system.  I think getting the second feed into the home is probably the hardest part to accomplish.  Once its in the home, its up to you to run the distribution system.