cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

We have been assured that all that stuff is getting passed on. I don't believe the moderators  here are authorized to report on what steps are being taken and when, even if they knew. Once in a while you'll see an official announcement.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, a bit of humour for the morning - I decided to check my phone logs on the TVRHP - guess that stands for TV Rogers Home Phone (god I hate all these acronyms).  Well, I decided to put the channell 975 in my favourites so I could get there without the clicks menu, apps, TVRHP (three clicks to get there).  I may be remembering wrong, but I thought it was easier before - one of the abcd keys I think, but almost 2 months ago is a long time ago for my brain.

Now for the humour - when pushing info to go to set as favourite - on the left is more like this - Big Game HD 6.99 On Demand, She's funny that way HD pay per view 7.99, Good kill HD pay per view 6.99 (from ON demand actually), Boychoir (HD) pay for view 6.99 again, Mad Max Fury Road 6.99, Steve JobsThe Man in the Machine HD 6.99 

So more like my call display on my tv is these three somewhat unrelated pay per view on demand movies. If you say so!!

Confirms the belief by so many that this more like this algorithms are set up to send us to paid services, not our individual choices.  It can't sent us to preferred choices, because then they would have to have capacity to keep track of our usage patterns, which is an IPTV design on Bell, and on Netflix, Utube, and other services that Espiral provides the product to.  Rogers is not ready for it, so why not just turn the stupid thing off until  you are ready for it to do something real.  It has just become an annnoyance using up screen layout with no benefit to us at all.

I challenge Rogers to convince me otherwise.

But as I said, it certainly was humourous that even a channel for the app is trying to tell us more like this.  How about shows about Alexander Graham Bell, phone technology, Internet history (maybe that is why we got Steve Jobs - he is a bit connected, I guess you could claim).  Just joking, got to keep my humour in the middle of this insanity.

But one good thing, I did get my listings of future recordings for the next week - guess we are left wondering about future recordings until the twice weekly menu updates so on Monday, they weren't there, now on Tuesday, they are.  We must have "faith" and "hope" I guess.  I get it, they are trying to get me to be religious about the miricale of the new box.

Ah well, on to therapy, but at least in a good mood.

Have a good week everybody.  Hope you enjoyed my humour and hope that Rogers staff have a sense of humour, on breaks from working hard at trying to fix this whole mess.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Back on July 28th, I think it was, the updates came down.

I started this thread that day when my wife began to complain.  When my wife complains about the one thing she wants to work properly, you respond, or at least I do.  Happy wife, happy life. Thanks Rogers, life is not that happy now.

Here is the original post - boy was I naive at that point.

" My wife was just moving through the new navigatr and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS"

Have turned off the banner - bring it back when needed - but unfortunately, it removes your ability to know easily what channel you are on and what the show is about. We have learned since that you can do this by pushing info, then you will get the information - tiny channell and description - again unreadable, but you can also then do recording and more options.  How about a simple, put the channel at the top right corner as you change channels as it used to be.

Ahh, this naive request and comment to satisify my wife has led to fights in the house about the Box, why did they do it is the common question, my only answer, don't know, they won't tell us. Then I am told off for spending too much time on this thread trying to help others and gather information about how to use the box efficiently, or at least work around the bugs as best as possible, so I just can't win. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Thanks Rogers for creating so much discension in one household through this absolute mess of layering a new software stack on a legacy box and learning that it just doesn't work well. I have no doubt that Espial and Rogers tested this extensively internally as we have been told, but I also believe that the over reaching goal was push it forward, in spite of the mess.

But peace is returning - after 35 years of marriage, there are more real important things we have worked out and we do have one aggreement though - if the next rollout isn't more user friendly with very few bugs and workarounds (we agree there will be some), then we look for options.  That makes me happy because I was ready to go a long time ago. Ahh well, this really is a little thing in life in the big picture - but the problem is that eveytime we turn on our tv, we are confronted by it again, and we often find new surprises to entertain us like the more like this on the Phone call listings.  Got to keep my humour and heal the discension in the home.

Just my opinion.  Ahh to go back to July with the old bugs and problems - they didn't compare with this mess at all.

Bruce

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

Well, a bit of humour for the morning - I decided to check my phone logs on the TVRHP - guess that stands for TV Rogers Home Phone (god I hate all these acronyms).  Well, I decided to put the channell 975 in my favourites so I could get there without the clicks menu, apps, TVRHP (three clicks to get there).  I may be remembering wrong, but I thought it was easier before - one of the abcd keys I think, but almost 2 months ago is a long time ago for my brain.

Now for the humour - when pushing info to go to set as favourite - on the left is more like this - Big Game HD 6.99 On Demand, She's funny that way HD pay per view 7.99, Good kill HD pay per view 6.99 (from ON demand actually), Boychoir (HD) pay for view 6.99 again, Mad Max Fury Road 6.99, Steve JobsThe Man in the Machine HD 6.99 

So more like my call display on my tv is these three somewhat unrelated pay per view on demand movies. If you say so!!

===============================================================================
Rogers used to be a respected company, now with Navigatr they're nothing but a bunch of snake oil salesmen trying to peddle their brainless "More like this" crap that has absolutely no connection with anything you were watching.  How far the mightly have fallen.  Kind of sad really.  Well, maybe pathetic is the word I'm looking for.   Smiley Sad

lensman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Now that Manage My PVR is back on rogersondemand.com I have taken to walking over to my computer, logging on and using THAT to search, record, erase, all my favourite shows. Yes - I have TWO lists again - Recorded and Scheduled!! And no freakin' TILES!

How perfectly ridiculous is that - having to sit down at the computer to do something on my TV?  And yet this is EASIER than trying to do it through the remote and Navigatr!!