New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Thx BS.  I see are ever the OPTIMIST. 

ROGERS:  IT IS CLOSING IN ON 3 MONTHS !

YOU CABLE SERVICE WORKS FINE, NAVIGATR does NOT !!!

Please give us an out, an alternative, I want the old software back.

And, please answer the questrion I asked Roger's OMBUDSMAN on JULY 30.

KIM:

If a company just put a flawed product on the market (i.e. New NAVIGATR) , what is its obligation to remedy the situation?

In this case, simply rolling back software (which is still  running on the majority of its customers PVRs) is an obvious, low cost remedy sought by its cusotmers.

What recourse do its customers should the company not effect a remedy in an acceptrable timeframe

(i.e. a couple days)?

e.g. Can they walk from any contracts with the company?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@krap wrote:

Thx BS.  I see are ever the OPTIMIST. 

ROGERS:  IT IS CLOSING IN ON 3 MONTHS !

YOU CABLE SERVICE WORKS FINE, NAVIGATR does NOT !!!

Actually, I would argue that even the CABLE is not fine. For a few weeks now ROD has been bad,. Shows not loading, missing episodes, etc. It is just relentless.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS  Good to see you back, Bruce.  Just in time for my goodbye TV post.

For the past two weeks, my two boxes have been getting worse and worse.  I am fairly certain that the problems are not because of Navigatr, although it makes it harder to identify the issue.

At the beginning of October, the box in the family room froze for no apparent reason.  Oct Oct 04, the bedroom box froze during a reboot.  On Oct 06, the family room box froze during DNLD.  Overnight on Oct 12-13, the record light stayed on all night on the family room box and the disk usage went up 10% before I noticed it.  I ended up with a 14 hour recording that I was able to play and delete.  On Oct 14, I had a set of 4 recordings where the content was shifted by half an hour.  Overnight on Oct 15-16, the bedroom box went into a loop rebooting every 3 minutes, necessitating a factory reset and losing all the recordings.  On Oct 18 at 10:01, the family room box rebooted itself and no recordings were done after that until another reboot next morning.  After that reboot, there was an undefined recording that hung the machine if I tried to play it.  Deleting it did not appear to work, but after another reboot it disappeared.  Last night, BOTH boxes recorded American Horror Story overnight and the record light was still on in the morning.  Again disk usage went from 50% to 60% on the family room box and from 20% to 30% on the bedroom box.  After reboots, it was still possible to play the recordings.  However the family room box began to reboot every hour, whether I was playing recordings or not, necessitating a factory reset and losing all the recordings on the second box.

I thought having two boxes gave me a degree of backup, but not when they both fail within a week of each other.

Last night, I noticed the record light still on at 3:00AM after recordings of the late night talk shows were over.  I muted the TV and powered up the bedroom box to try to figure out what was recording.  However, with Navigatr, it was not possible to find.  I went through the Scheduled tab in every tile.  I could not get the  PVR function to work in Chrome on the tablet, despite trying the "Request Desktop Site" work around, so I couldn't use it to look for the recording.

At 5:00 AM, my wife woke up and I was able to get up and reboot the bedroom box, and also go downstairs and check the family room box to find that it was doing the same thing.

October 21 was the 1 year anniversary of escalating to second level support my old problem of "insufficient resources" which also started right after a recording ran all night.

Since I was really annoyed by all this, I ended up being unable to sleep all night.  By morning my blood pressure was up and I was generally feeling awful.  That is when my better half made the decision that we are cancelling our cable TV subscription.  She feels that it is not worth risking my precarious health for the sake of watching TV with Rogers.  I have just been putting too much effort into nursing these boxes along.  I reported the issues to Rogers support this afternoon, and verified with Customer Service that there would be no extra charges when I cancelled.

Although I looked into Bell Fibe as an alternative, we are going to try to get by with Netflix and an antenna hooked up to my MythTV box for the local stations, as well as web video from the specialty channels.  I'll have to bump my Internet speed to handle the streaming, but it will still come in as a significant saving.

Since we are hoping that Rogers is putting significant effort into repairing Navigatr, it is doubtful that any work is being done to fix the underlying problems that have been going on for some time.  This is evidenced by my 1 year problem anniversary.

So since I won't have any TV service, there will be little to contribute to this forum.  Thanks to all who have helped me develop work-arounds to Navigatr, and those who have given me kudos for some of my posts. I wish you luck in the new year if the Navigatr release materializes in Q1.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Goodbye @roxandtreez

You make it 104,000 +1 that left Rogers cable in 2015 according to their latest financial report!

Highlighted

So where is this 'new' Navigator? It was announced in July. It is now October 22nd and my Nextbox 3.0 looks exactly the same as it did in July. Is this new version ever going to be available?

Highlighted

Sounds like outsourced development to a certain country to me.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at page 80 & 81 of this same thread for a few answers in that regard.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/80...

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@rgottinger wrote:

So where is this 'new' Navigator? It was announced in July. It is now October 22nd and my Nextbox 3.0 looks exactly the same as it did in July. Is this new version ever going to be available?

I agree. 😉

@rgottinger and the rest of ROGERS dwindling base of CABLE customers deserve to see this exciting new piece of NAVIGATR.

Why should just us chosen few in Mississuaga and a few other remote villages be the only people who no longer can trust their PVRs to do anything beyond handling live TV ? 

PS:   This looks like a classic example of market overhang, usually brought out to slow down upstart competition that have a  new superior product.  But in this case, there there is no threat , just a very bad decision that I expect will soon be reversed.  See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_overhang

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@rgottinger wrote:

Sounds like outsourced development to a certain country to me.

Yes outsourced to some clowns in OTTAWA, but neither Liberal or Conservative, just NDP.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@rgottinger wrote:

Or perhaps this answers your question.

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/2015/08/14/rogers-tv-upgrade-leads-to-headaches-ros...

If you really want to see this thing in action, please visit any Rogers store in any of the remote villages (Oshawa, Ajax, Newmarket, Mississauga, Brampton or Milton) and ask for a demolition  oops, demonstration !