cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

danielbourgeois
I've Been Here Awhile
me neither but i here they stopped the update till further notice till its resolved

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

Looks like at the bottom of this page (in yellow)

They are STOPING the roll out, till they can get the NB2 issues resolved.

I see nothing in yellow there.

Peter
Toronto

NOW 😛

When i made the original post, there was something there.
There is not, any longer.

When you look back through old posts on a topic.. you always need to take all info with a grain of salt.. depending on the AGE of the post.  Always should look at when it was posted.
Data from an older post may not longer be viable anymore.

pmcsplaza
Very true. It was my mistake because my email notification had obviously taken an age to reach me so I landed in the middle of the thread and never noticed. Strange how that happens.
Peter
Toronto

bbajovic
I Plan to Stick Around

In order to be civil I will refrain from insulting intelligence of "brains" who come up with this "Navigatr". Simple observation thought - there is a search function which is completely useless!!!! It is there ONLY to push the premium content which you have to pay extra. Regular programs DOES NOT SHOW.  SHAME ON YOU ROGERS!!!!!!

Can someone explain to me how do you search for a program?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@bbajovic just curious, since I have an 8300 and no Navigatr, but what does the * button on your remote do?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

billmcintyre

@bbajovic  The search function is not useless.  It is making money for my massage therapist.  The search function aggravates my carpal tunnel syndrome because when I am searching for a SPECIFIC episode of a TV series - and I need to find that episode because the Rogers Nextbox FAILED to record the show last week - well, when I search for that show - the lovely search feature doesn't logically provide me with results IN ONE BOX, and organized by episode with newest to oldest - NO - the carefully programmed search fiasco shows me TEN BOXES that all say the same thing.

The search results are list 10 IDENTICAL uninformative listings for the show - and each one fails to identify what episode it is - UNLESS I click on each and every listing.  And the episodes ARE IN NO LOGICAL ORDER.  Ep. 6 is before 3 which is after 8 which is before 1.   WHY?

In order to TRY to find the specific episode I want - I have to CLICK ON EVERY SINGLE BOX to try to see the episode number and program description - and when I don't find it in the first selection - I have to back out of there and click on the second - etc etc etc etc.

Rogers is making finding my prgrams faster?    You don't really want to hear what I have to say about that ....  Besides - my wrist is too sore from 50 clicks of the remote to TRY to find one program I want to watch.  And I usually DON'T find it. 

All the clicking in futile attempts to find non-existent programs in VOD because the box didn't record them last week when it should have left my wrist too sore to REALLY tell you what I think if the accuracy of the advertisements where Rogers brags again and again about how they are making it easier to search for what I want to watch.

bbajovic
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@bbajovic just curious, since I have an 8300 and no Navigatr, but what does the * button on your remote do?

I have Netbox 3.0. It does the same function but really bad (in previous version of navigator you could uncheck VOD here no option for that).

park
I'm an Advisor

@bbajovic wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I have Netbox 3.0. It does the same function but really bad (in previous version of navigator you could uncheck VOD here no option for that).

When I tried to use search a few days ago, just got an error message with a note to call Rogers.

The techy got it fixed by forcing my machine to link with the search engine and then having me reboot the NB3.

We chatted while my machine rebooted.

He confirmed that search is  central function, and has nothing to do with what box you are using (maybe other than the layout of the letters of the alphabet:  SARA 3(?) rows I am guessing, RTN probably 2 rows, and Navi 2 rows.

We all use the same search engine.

PS: From first-hand past experience it appears that the guide and search use different sources, so sometimes they are  out-of-synch with each other. Would be very useful if search used the guide database so that it would pick up all instances of a program, and when you ask it to record after doing a search, that is what you get.

TheArcher
I Plan to Stick Around

@park

I don't know about using the same search engine but I do know that the SARA search feature is totally different from the one introduced with RTN. The SARA search is very limited in that you can only search by Channel, Title or Theme. There is no alphabet matrix. Searching by Title can only be done by first letter which makes finding a particular program almost useless as you can scroll through 100+ pages before reaching what you want. On the other hand, the Theme search is quite good and returns a comprehensive and chronological list. The ability to enter the full title was one of the big improvements I looked forward to when RTN Search was introduced. However it has been a major disappointment with incomplete and sometimes inexplicable returns and no strict chronological order in the list.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@TheArcher wrote:
The SARA search is very limited in that you can only search by Channel, Title or Theme. There is no alphabet matrix. Searching by Title can only be done by first letter which makes finding a particular program almost useless as you can scroll through 100+ pages before reaching what you want.

I don't know if I quite understand what you mean, but my SARA search matrix is 6x6 alphanumeric with NEW DELETE and SPACE at the bottom. But, yes, it searches by the exact title. Searching for "X-FILES" won't work because nothing comes up for "X" (and there isn't even a way to select "-", but putting in "THE X" brings it up, plus The X Factor, X-Men and a bunch of others with "X" in the title. For another test, I searched for "Jay Leno" and although it came up with a folder, it found nothing there and said I should search again later, but Zap2it found nothing either within the next 2 weeks. I do know that the Rogers search function goes a bit beyond the 6 days in my Guide, because sometimes when I use it to schedule a recording it comes up as a manual recording if it's not yet on the Guide.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

TheArcher
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR

Thank you for educating me and I apologize for misleading others and not being specific about my SARA experience. I have 2 x 8642s still on SARA. The search function on them is as I indicated. I was not aware that SARA on 8300s had been updated to similar search capability as RTN.

It seems that Rogers is still updating SARA on 8300s to mirror Nextbox 3 as far as possible but has not updated it on 8642s since RTN was introduced.

I knew another difference indicated by 57 some time ago is that Anyplace TV Home Edition shows 8300s in the list of PVRs for Manage my PVRs but my 8642s on SARA do not show up so can't be programmed by app. or online.

jays77

I have a nextbox 2 and no Navigatr.

I don't know if this will help but if you are looking for a TV show "On Demand" I have found the easiest way is to press the On Demand button, toggle tothe  TV  tile and select the network that shows the program.  An example would be Mike and Molly on CTV.  Channel 100 - Click TV tile,  select CTV and it list all the shows it has available on demand in alphabetical order.  When I click on Mike and Molly the recent shows are there listed newest first.   If you are looking for future live showings this doesn't work.

pmcsplaza

@Gdkitty wrote:

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

Looks like at the bottom of this page (in yellow)

They are STOPING the roll out, till they can get the NB2 issues resolved.

@Gdkitty do you know if the roll-out has resumed?  I still don't have it here.

Peter
Toronto

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

So the extensive testing that was done failed to consider any backwards compatibility?

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @rgottinger,

@rgottinger wrote:

So the extensive testing that was done failed to consider any backwards compatibility?

I believe you mean 'So, the extensive testing that *would* have been done if this were an actual professional software development project...'

Understandable misunderstanding. From the looks of things, they didn't consider *forward* compatibility either. However, they *did* consider Windows 8 Tile Interface compatibility.

Regards,

Mr. A

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yes that is what i meant. Then again this 'professional' software development firm would know about usuablity as well

BB444
I've Been Around

Go to your recording and rather than hitting ok/select, press down to get the option to watch - your recording will start from the beginning.

skuleman
I've Been Around
Spoiler
The one ferature I would really like is to not have to scroll through all of the channels I don't subscribe to and only see the ones I do subscribe to. They're greyed out on the display, it should be a trivial software fix to just make them disappear. I am never going to watch a french language or sports channel so why do I have to have them clutter up my guide?

pmcsplaza

You can hide the channels you can't watch or don't want to watch.  It's under Settings, Channel Setup.

You can hide all channels EXCEPT On Demand.

Peter
Toronto

kso
I Plan to Stick Around
@skuleman You can do that, just press guide then filters choose subscribed and save it.