cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Kat6 wrote:

thanks to Neilpalmer400

As I wait for my box to reboot AGAIN, I would like to thank you for this suggestion it is more than I got from tech support. By the way my box just says Nextbox. It is the only box that has lasted over a year so I don't want to give it up (or lose all my recordings again)

If it is 15.5" wide it's a Nextbox 2 (8642).

If it is 13" wide it's a Nextbox 3 (9865).

Brt
I Plan to Stick Around
@RogersMargaret wrote:

Hi Community,

I've started a new thread where everyone can discuss the UPDATED Navigatr rollout.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

So, if you received the updated software on/after December 15, 2015 and would like to ask a question, share your findings/learnings, please do so in the new thread.  

If you've recently posted about the updated software, don't worry - we'll move your post(s) for you to the new thread.

This current thread can be used for disucssion relating to the Navigator software that was rolled out in the summer.  

Thanks for keeping the Community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

Hello @RogersMargaret,

Will everyone on the current thread be automatically notified as new messages are posted on the new thread? If not then can you share the steps we need to follow to accomplish this?

As far as I'm concerened, this is all part of the same thread given the latest software update is in direct response to all of the problems reported in this thread. 

Thank you.
Brett

Good Evening @Brt,

Although users from this thread will not be automatically notified of posts in the new updated Navigatr thread, you can review our great "How To" article which teaches you how to subscribe to a thread so that you can receive automatic notifications and never miss another post again! Just click here to learn how to subscribe.

Hope that helps!

@RogersGabrielle

Brt
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersGabrielle wrote:

Good Evening @Brt,

Although users from this thread will not be automatically notified of posts in the new updated Navigatr thread, you can review our great "How To" article which teaches you how to subscribe to a thread so that you can receive automatic notifications and never miss another post again! Just click here to learn how to subscribe.

Hope that helps!

@RogersGabrielle

Thanks for politely suggesting I RTFM but honestly the only reason I'm on this forum is due to the piece of garbage that Rogers has forced on me. I've spent dozens of hours already dealing with this nonsense and don't really have any more time to waste on Rogers. It would have been far easier for the moderators to leave the thread alone instead of finding new ways to waste our time and raise our blood pressure even higher.

As a side note, my current PVR has once again destablized to the point where I have little choice but to resort to a factory reset.

Could you imagine if Rogers or Espial were responsible for the software used in Air Traffic Control at a major airpoirt

Cheers,

Brett

JohhnyRockets

@Brt

Excellent point! Rogers is still not getting it at all!

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersGabrielle  Thanks for letting us know how to follow a thread. 

I honestly have no idea what an RSS feed is, nor do I have any desire to learn how to use one.  I am getting old, my brain power for learning new stuff is deteriating, and the reality is the only reason I am on this forum in the first place was I was recommended by one of your CSR's to come here back in June when I was dealing with another technical issue that they had no answer for, and ironically, they still don't.  It is older than Navigtr.

But for those want to learn this, can you guide them a bit.

If I click subscribe, rather than subscribe to RSS will they show up on the little bell at the top and I can follow them that way?

Thanks Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

New issue on July rollout version of Nextbox PVR and guide. I said PVR and guide, because I don't know which side of the box software is leading to this one.

Watching a show that is currently being recorded, we decided to watch it live tonight.  When we got to the end of the show, rather than watch the ending ads and go to the very end show, we clicked the stop button.

The three choice options of continue recording, stop recording and save, and stop recording and delete.

We chose stop recording and delete.  We then noticed that the show was still recording, the red light was still on, and in list, it showed as still recording.  We tried again to stop and delete, but it continued to record, so we waited until the end of the show, it stopped recording at the designated end of the show, and we found it in the recently recorded shows.

We then deleted the show from the list.

So this feature is not working properly at this point.  I can't comment on if it is new, it is the first time we have noticed it.  We don't usually set up a show to be recorded then watch it live, and leave it recording.

This is new to me, and I don't recall seeing it before - could the moderators please pass this one on to the programming team, and could users of the old and new box softwares, consider testing this situation and see if you can replicate it.

If on the new box software build, certainly report it on the new thread, but refer back to this one, as I think this is new or unreported.  Hopefully it was either a fluke or is not in the new build.

Just a new issue we found, worked around it, and at this point we are watching TV, so we won't try to replicate it at this time.

And I know the answer is that we can't go back to the old builds on nextbox, but having been on this one for almost 6 months, and I am still finding issues, I remain frustrated. 

I read in the new thread that there are major issues again (it would be interesting and help to develop some confidence for us who have been at this for 5 months or more, if Rogers staff could identify how many new builds have gone out and how many issues have been brought up on the new people.  The data should be available, and it would go a long way to improving my trust and improve communication and to start with a new slate, both on the boards, with the improvements, and communication of remaining issues or new issues.

Good night, and happy viewing,  Bruce

RogersMay
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@BS

Good question!

If you click subscribe you will receive notifications to the thread via email and it'll also give you a notification beside the bell.

RogersMay

shan-man
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@shan-man wrote:

I decided to launch Home Edition on my phone to have a look and guess what...drumroll...6 episodes of "Mr. Robot" are still being reported as being on my PVR.

This is typical of "AnyPlace".  It typically takes at least a day for deleted recordings to show up on (disappear from) the App or website Anyplace interface. It's been like this for years.  It's because Anyplace doesn't "sync" with the PVR instantaneously. Deleted recordings will typically be removed in a day or two.

Thanks for the info @57. Indeed after I waited a day the episodes disappeared from AnyPlace. Still surprised that deleting a series of six shows only reduced usage from 10.5% to 10.3%.

shan-man
I Plan to Stick Around

Have nothing better to do so have decided to post another one of my favourite Navigatr issues. Don't think I've seen this one yet and it's a good one.

Watching ROD shows with Fast Forward disabled (which is bad enough). Occasionally the Rewind and Back 5 Second buttons will glitch and take you back to the beginning of the show. You can imagine how frustrating it is when you're 45 mins into a show and, try to back up a few seconds, and you're sent to the beginning...with no way to get back to where you were without sitting for 45 mins again!

This happened tonight and I ended up fighing with my wife about her having the nerve to get up and pee when we have a Navigatr to deal with. We cooled down, I admitted I was sorry to blame her, and we agreed to play on our phones tomorrow while we let the stupid show play in the background until it gets back to our spot.

Thanks for my new life Navigatr.

shan-man
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMargaret,

Given that Navigatr 2016 is just a tiny bit more lipstick on the pig that is Navigatr 2015, I don't think it warrants a new thread. That being said, there's some great people on this thread and once we all get our lucky chance at Navigatr 2016 we'll be more than happy to re-report all the issues that are still broken...Right team?

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersMay  Thank you for that clarification.  This response did come up in my little yellow bell as one new response on this thread, although you also tagged me with my user name BS, so not sure if it was because of the tag, or the thread.  Will have to see over time.  I didn't get an email though and that is ok with me if it doesn't because I would prefer not to have one more piece of correspondence to deal with.  In many ways, I would love to go back to my dial phone, telegraphs, mail, and just go visit people.  I worked in technology this year, and today when we ran into a technical issue over a loyalty card with a restaurant, I wondered if we are beginning to ask too much of technology.  The more we ask, the more complicated it becomes and the greater the chance of failure, and the more it costs too.  There is no cheap route to solid technology.

As you probably have noticed, and others have noticed, I have a very high level of technical knowledge, but unfortunately, I am now retired due to a cognitive disability and learning new things is an incredible challenge, or even keepin my thoughts on task (there in lies the reason why I go off topic now and then, so I appreciate when you and others let me know, but not only will I not know sometimes I am off topic, when I reread it, I may not even realize that it is off topic. Just the way my mixed up brain works.  And sometimes I get overcome by frustration, because to be honest, I have very high standards for quality control and implementation - it was like the analogy of the air traffic controllers.  I worked in the medical information field, and lack of communication and functioning systems can mean live and death issues.  That is why, although much of the health field is electronic now, most of them still have paper filing systems in place, because only very big centres like Sick Kids or Toronto Hospitals, and now family health centres have electronic systems, although it is growing in efficiency every day, but no matter how well it goes, will anyone ever forget the e-health ideas.  Grand ideas that went real bad in so many ways.  Too big, not well sourced, poorly developed contracts and a huge range of things and it is still in courts today.  But I digress.

I have a lot to offer to the forum, I believe, but everyone please bear with me when my thoughts wander and it seems like you can't figure out what I have said.  You should see how I frustrate my wife of 35 years when I wander off topic and become incredibly verbose and repetitious.  She can at least stop me mid sentence and get me back on track.  Unfortunately, when I type, I don't know it is happening.

Thanks for clarifying for me.

As I mentioned earlier, I am goinjg to be away from the forums for a while as I go through some very important therapy that I have been waiting almost 5 years for.  My mind will be busy with retraining my emotional and interactional responses, and hopefully improving the concentration issues.  

My fingers are crossed that most things are taken care of and my rollout will go fairly seemlessly.  To date, I never have been one of the ones to have recordings wiped, and hopefully it will stay that way.  Not that there hasn't been lots of undefined, null recordings, deletes freezing up, the box freezing up, and just when I think I have it all figured out, another comes along like the one I just reported.  

It actually impacts my wife more than me and since I am the "Rogers" guy in the house for dealing with all issues, because I am the "tech guy", while she works with technology far more everyday than I do in a year.  I get to listen, then I hit the phones, chats, or here.  I am hoping that when I come back from my therapy that my head will be clearer, and that the rollout has gone without too many problems.

I will be honest though, although I hope, I do not remain optimistic, but that is a therapy topic.  If anything good has come from the last 6 months, it is that I have had lots of time to discuss my reactions with therapists.  I am lucky to have an outside person to help me with handling frustration. Smiley Happy

All the best everyone.  I will poke in occasionally, and certainly if something comes up, I will probably save it for a few things and either just go to tech support first, then report here what I learned.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@shan-man  I can relate perfectly to what you just described.  My wife has put up with all this fairly well, but about once a week, she will be sitting there, while I read, or meditate, or whatever, and since she owns the remote, sets up all recordings, and decides what we will watch (happy wife makes happy life). and suddenly, she is ready to throw the remote at me (like it was my fault, but she won't throw it at the tv - too expensive to repair or to replace, worst for me will be a headache or a bump.  Fortunately, she usually backs off, but I do have to duck sometimes.

Then I ask her do you want me to report it - she is so tired of it all that usually says, no I don't want anything to do with it, yet since her life is so busy with travel and work and weekend activities - the reason why accurate predictable recording is so important for her, plus it gives us common time as we watch a lot of documentaries, late night comedy, and shows of common interest.  We binge for a few hours over it, then come back and to it the next time.

So the outcome is I now have an unhappy life, and as a result, an unhappy life, so then you guys get to hear it too, although I think most of us sympathize with each other because we are all in this together.

Yes, a new life, we actually pay for this one, and we keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting, but I sit and wait for her to say, time to go.  I will happily do the research and get it done, and will take great pleasure talking to retentions and explaining how a 22 year customer, who has only left from Internet once when a network upgrade in our neighbourhood was failing for days and weeks on end (sounds familiar), so we went to bell, only coming back when we moved because there was no bell ADSL internet - this was the days of slow internet anywhere and we actually liked it.  I will take great pleasure if it comes to it, explaining exactly what led to us living, and I am happy for them to talk to my wife, she would have some lovely words to offer.

But we are not there yet,  each frustration is another opportunity for me to work with my therapist on dealing with frustration, and learning how to deal with things that seem to have no answer and to totally out of my control to impact, but he has said, continue to rant and complain, be polite, but always remember, that if you and others back off on your demands, then you have accepted them as is and there will be not turning back, you will just have to move on by living with it, or going elsewhere, or finding alternative entertainment, which would not be a bad idea either.

Hope you don't learn any new issues before you move on to reporting issues on the new thread.  I thought I was done, but low and behold I wasn't. Enjoy playing games on your phones while you wait for it to get back to your set point - this is not new to me, I have been through it on recordings, and on demand.  Have a nice breakfast, lunch, and a good coffee, walk or a drink, forget about it for a while, then hopefully you can come back fresh and get back to your show where you left off.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersGabrielle  Reference notifications of threads, found out how to prevent email - see the two attached pictures - they show how you can turn off and prevent any of the notifications from going to email.  You just turn them all off, but your chosen notifications above that section will go to the bell.

I hope I am reading this correct.  I know I have subscribed to threads before, and never have I had emails come to me.

Thanks, Bruce

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

neilpalmer400

@BS wrote:

New issue on July rollout version of Nextbox PVR and guide. I said PVR and guide, because I don't know which side of the box software is leading to this one.

Watching a show that is currently being recorded, we decided to watch it live tonight.  When we got to the end of the show, rather than watch the ending ads and go to the very end show, we clicked the stop button.

The three choice options of continue recording, stop recording and save, and stop recording and delete.

We chose stop recording and delete.  We then noticed that the show was still recording, the red light was still on, and in list, it showed as still recording.  We tried again to stop and delete, but it continued to record, so we waited until the end of the show, it stopped recording at the designated end of the show, and we found it in the recently recorded shows.

Bruce,

This is a problem I have seen on the old RTN 5.1 code - yet one more thing Rogers have decided not to fix, in favour of putting time and money into putting more lipstick on the pig.  The specific circumstance where I came across this same refusal to Stop Recording was with Whole Home PVR however, where the recording was taking place on my 8642 and I tried to stop it from the 9865, and it just ignored the attempts to stop recording, OR maybe it did Stop but the 9865 refused to show that.  Not surprising as quite often with WHPVR you get into a situation, especially where the 8642 is acting as the "server", where you can not delete programs on it from the "client" 9865, or they DO delete, but remain in the list of My Recordings on the 9865, forcing you to reboot every few days to clean up the "recordings" in the list that are no longer actually there on the other PVR.

neilpalmer400

@shan-man wrote:

Have nothing better to do so have decided to post another one of my favourite Navigatr issues. Don't think I've seen this one yet and it's a good one.

Watching ROD shows with Fast Forward disabled (which is bad enough). Occasionally the Rewind and Back 5 Second buttons will glitch and take you back to the beginning of the show. You can imagine how frustrating it is when you're 45 mins into a show and, try to back up a few seconds, and you're sent to the beginning...with no way to get back to where you were without sitting for 45 mins again!

This happened tonight and I ended up fighing with my wife about her having the nerve to get up and pee when we have a Navigatr to deal with. We cooled down, I admitted I was sorry to blame her, and we agreed to play on our phones tomorrow while we let the stupid show play in the background until it gets back to our spot.

Thanks for my new life Navigatr.

This is yet ANOTHER unfixed existing bug in the previous RTN code (it certainly exists with RTN 5.1) that Rogers has chosen to ignore (or is simply too incompetent to be able to fix) in favour of investing in plastic surgery to put a new face on the same old bug infested toxic heap of sludge that is the RTN code. 

Again, being forced to "work around" the myriad bugs in this poor excuse for software I have learnt the hard way to never use any buttons other than Pause/Play when viewing OnDemand programs.  This is really annoying if someone speaks and you miss something, but you're best to let it go and continue instead of attempting to Rewind or use the Back 5 seconds (or 8 or whatever number of seconds it is) button.  Another way Rogers has found to take the enjoyment out of viewing, and another reason OnDemand is next to useless.

It's important here to remember that Navigatr didn't introduce ALL these new bugs, many of us have been living with a lot of them for over 3.5 YEARS now, hence our absolute total lack of confidence in the ability of Rogers to fix them.  It's REALLY saying something about how absolutely, pathetically, mind-bogglingly awful Navigatr . is that many would kill to have the previous RTN 5.1 code back (bugs, warts and all) in place of Navigatr. 

It also brings to mind one other thing that Rogers should be held responsible for, besides blood pressure medication (that I wasn't on before I was afflicted with Rogers lousy RTN software) - and that's marriage guidance counselling.

Smiley Mad

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Just a thought - we the ones who have been with this mess and trying to live with it, try not to get too frustrated, we have been polite, we have problem solved, we have begged, we have pleaded, and yes, sometimes are frustration has come out in was that are outside the boundaries, but as Ellen Roseman said in her article, we certainly have the right to gripe.

Why do I bring this up - many of us have wondered why we seem to be left for last in these rollouts.  Maybe it is because we have identified everything that is wrong with the rollout to the nth degree, and when it finally does get to us, of course we are going to be comparing the new and the old to see just how much we were listened to, and whatever is not missing, or we are not satisfied, it can be expected that we will all be back in strength, but along with us is going to be all the new ones who know nothing of this past experience, as they hit that new thread, they will become aware that there is a thread on the first time around, and they will begin to do their own comparisons.

So it will defer us from coming at the company, if they don't live up to the reasonable expectation that 6 months of work should result in a lot of changes (of course not all, I understand technological change and that you can't please everybody, but every legitimate illogical UI step should have been looked at and changed, the none working functions should be fixed, the loss of recordings should definitely not be happening, reboot cycles should not be happening, the issue with the privacy settings should not be happening, and the list goes on.

But what is also allowing them to do, is keep us the past "testers", and lets be honest here, we are the beta testers, no matter how much testing is claimed to have been done, we have provided more than enough suggestions and feedback to be able to take care of a lot of fixes, and to at least provide a prioritization of what things are being deferred or just not going forward - that is only fair, we did rent and buy these boxes, and you did claim it was a better viewing experience, so that is what it should be; but having said all that, it keeps us in the background, other than Ellen Roseman stuck her nose into it again, at just the wrong time for Rogers PR side of things, and it gives them time to get the TV adds out describing the wonderful improved viewing experience to all the niave people, and new purchasers.

All I can say, for Rogers sake, is they had better get it right this time, or if they think the uproar was strong last time, and persisted through the whole period, I can't imagine what the reaction is going to be if they don't get it right, or at least close to it, then they had better watch out and duck.

But again, I just hope, that is all  hope, that they can at least get most of it right.  I can't comment at this point, I only have what new people have written, but be assured, I will be one of the ones who will be doing a side by side comparison of the first rollout, to the second rollout.  There is no shortage of summaries of all the issues in this thread, all 200+ pages of it, and ghe pages are growing on the new one too.  Like the last time, it started slow, polite, honest questions, begs to return to what we had before, and then last time it built and built to where it is now.

Bruce

jbulach
I Plan to Stick Around

Was just in formed by Rogers, that most of Ontario will be upgrade by end of Jan.

lensman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

"Upgraded" ?  ..... Riiiiight! Man Mad

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

So by the end of January no one will be able to PVR anything?

billmcintyre

Your 'TV viewing experience has been 'enhanced' - and from their latest ad 'TV like you've never seen it before.'  Rogers is pushing the Navigatr PVR hard in their advertisements - as well as ads for sports packages, and bundles - as if ANYBODY ever signs on for the $77 deal to get three services.  I mean - does ANYBODY every choose the lowest and cheapest version of TV AND the other two services.

I think Rogers advertisements pull people in with the idea that you will get three services for only $77 - but I bet almost EVERYBODY goes for more channels than the cheap teaser offer, or faster internet, or more features on their phone.

It's like the flyers that were visible in my apt. lobby FOREVER - that had a big white sticker on them that said "TV $15.99."  Who the heck is getting TV service from Rogers for less than sixteen dollars?  Anyone?

Navigatr is forcing Rogers to pull more money out of it's existing customers - because so many people will be cutting their Rogers cord - BECAUSE of Navigatr.  So Rogers is offering tempting deals - bundles and such - but the catch is they trick you into signing up for a commitment of 2 years.

And Rogers is making MORE money now - with fewer customers.  Because they are charging us existing customers more.