cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This mindset is by no means unique. Rogers does what it wants as do most companies. Customers should be the most important but they aren't. Profits and cutting costs are.

1945mdh
I Plan to Stick Around
Executive bonuses are based on profits and share price - not good customer service.

rgottinger

Agreed and Rogers is by no means unique here. Same as any of the banks in Canada caring about their customers or employees. Companies are driven by what they can get not what customers feel. Why else would there be Navigatr. Did any customers actually ask for this 'enhancement'?

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Maybe shareholders should start demanding some metrics on customer satisfaction to be reported.

There is one in the financial reports and that is number of reports and resolved issues reported to the CCTC and the number of issues going to the CCTC has fallen.

By definition, the way Rogers designed their model with the Ombudsman where others did not means that there are less cases going to CCTC.  It is not necessary to go the the Ombudsman unless you want to give Rogers one last chance, but since the only metric reported is the CCTC reports, the complaints don't make it to the financial reports.

In the long run, customer service metrics are important, because companies can completely miss a storm brewing and suddenly be in big financial trouble as customer service falls and people leave.

They seem to be spending a lot of time trying to address the competition, who gets what first, new features that make the television industry richer, as well as your own, temporarily as the tv industry will come out with the next best thing and you will always be behind, but the one thing they have control over is quality product and quality service.  Happy customers tell others and others follow and happy customers also don't complain to people and suggest that they don't come, or leave.

Customer retention is the foundation of success for every company - maybe they need to remember that.  But then again, does this kind of information ever make it to the senior people, or just it just really sit here as it is not an urgent issue like getting a service back on line, but it is important to the long term - concepts of urgent verus important from Stephen Covey.

Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

So why would profits increase in the face of poor customer service? Must be a lot of gullible customers out there.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

rgottinger

Not a ton of options especially when the big one is Bell. Also, Rogers has its hands in more than just cable tv service,

JonBoy49

@OLDYELLR wrote:

So why would profits increase in the face of poor customer service? Must be a lot of gullible customers out there.

1) I'm not gullible and I don't think most other Rogers customers are either. The only real alternatives for most people are satelite and Bell. And Bell doesn't work at my property or I would seriously consider it. Satelite is just old tech and who wants to go backwards?

2) Bell is also a near monopoly and its customer service nearly as bad as Rogers so perhaps Rogers customers work on the basis of "better the devil ..." ?

The only real 100% legal option is to get an antenna for over-the-air broadcasts, add a _real_ PVR (Tivo would be my choice) and get the balance of your viewing fix from NetFlix, Hulu, whatever. I'm already meeting 50% + of my viewing needs via streaming services.

park
I'm an Advisor

Customer service ?

No amount of good customer service (and Rogers is quite good) can compensate for a bad product.

Most of the complaints/concerns on this board are about Product problems and secondarily Rogers inability and non-interest to remedy them.

One bad product/apple can and will spoil the whole experience/barrel.  Rogers does not seem to get that.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@JonBoy49 wrote:

The only real 100% legal option is to get an antenna for over-the-air broadcasts, add a _real_ PVR (Tivo would be my choice) and get the balance of your viewing fix from NetFlix, Hulu, whatever. I'm already meeting 50% + of my viewing needs via streaming services.

Yes, OTA is a good option and it's free if you're near a large metropolitan area and the U.S. border. But I guess we've been spoiled by Cable. I remember when I could only get a handfull of channels with an antenna and I was quite happy. Another alternatibe is an Android box, but the legality of what you can see is a grey area.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

rgottinger

I suspect a poorly negotiated agreement with the company that the development of this disaster as well as a generally bad UI design done by unqualified people is where the real problem lies. No rollback capabilty and just plain bad development processes including nothing but happy path testing are the 2 main issues along with UI behaviours designed by people who don't know their users gives us Navigatr. Microsoft did the same thing with Windows 8 when the Start button disappeared but they brought it back because users wanted it.

JonBoy49

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@JonBoy49 wrote:

... Another alternatibe is an Android box, but the legality of what you can see is a grey area.

Doesn't have to be Android device of course - I can do it on my Mac or on any PC. But I think the only really "grey" area is whether they bother to come after you. The law, it sems to me is fairly clear, and all of the custom Android-based boxes that I have seen are just allowing acess to proxies and to illegal streaming sites of the Pirate Bay variety.

Hello all,

Although we appreciate all input and contributions to our Community Forums, it looks like we have gone a little off-topic. Just a friendly reminder that this thread is for Navigator related questions or concerns. 

If you'd like to discuss customer service or alternative methods of viewing shows and movies, please feel free to contribute to one of our existing threads on those topics. 

We appreciate your cooperation in keeping the Community Forums a pleasant and user friendly place to be. 

@RogersGabrielle

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around
@stoneball
My experience with using the "subscribe" selection on the guide is that it works until I exit the guide. When I go back into the guide again, I once again have ALL channels......even though the selection shows it's still on SUBSCRIBED.

I'm interested to find out if your channels stay on subscribed at all times.

stoneball
I Plan to Stick Around

I understand what u are saying, I have the same experience now that I check, guide says subscribed but I get all the channels. I can still toggle to favs though 

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

OK, here's  a possible Navigator glitch I haven't heard mentioned before -- someone, and I wish I was able to find the original post, observed that if one hits the 'Page Up' button, one can jump ahead by three minutes. While that's not quite as useful as jumping ahead a shorter amount of time (say 30 second), in some instances it will help bypass at least part of the commercials in a recorded program. At last! A bright spot!

However, recently, I've noticed that this feature doesn't work on every recording. I don't have a large sample size, but I suspect it only works on Standard Definition recordings and not High Definition recordings -- still playing around with it. If that is the case, it's another weird design choice for Navigator"s turrible 'Bathroom' Interface (i.e. 'Tiled'). And just when I was getting a warm, fuzzy feeling about it.

Regards,

Mr. A 

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around
@Mister_A
I use the page+ on all my recordings, both standard and HD. There are times when it doesn't work but there's no pattern......and thankfully it's infrequent. When I find the remote getting "funky", I reboot the box and then cross my fingers that I don't lose any recordings when it comes back on!

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@RogersGabrielle

While you are 100% correct in that things can get a little off-topic, you must also be able to understand that the frustration that Navigatr is causing and the refusal of Rogers to listen (I mean REALLY listen) to their customers is causing a lot of customer dissatisfaction. This dissatisfaction is logically leading customers to look at alternatives - be it OTA or on-line streaming or Android boxes. With the tolerance that Rogers has had so far in this 158-page thread, I think a little more leniency would be in order. 

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Rogers is doing A LOT of advertising lately.  They're pushing a deal on bundled services to grab new customers, and they're pushing their sports packages, but the advertisement that gives you that funny feeling in your tummy is the one that says: "Now, you can find new shows faster than ever before.  New Navigatr guide for Nextbox.  It's TV enhanced."

And then they go on to brag about how you can delete a whole series of shows from your PVR "with two clicks."  (I guess they don't want to talk too much about how some people had ALL their series deleted. 🙂  )

But it is already easy to delete a whole series of a show.  I don't know how many keystrokes it takes, but aren't there MANY things that now take MANY MORE KEYSTROKES to accomplish - and are now unintuitive, and awkward and a pain to accomplish?

Oh - and I hope no other thing I own gets "enhanced" by the company I bought it from.  If car companies 'enhanced' a vehicle the way Rogers enhanced the Nextbox with Navigatr you would soon have to pullover and pop the hood to turn on the windshield wipers.

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@JohhnyRockets

We welcome your comments, questions, and expertise.  We also understand the frustration you refer to.

However, in order to keep things in order in the community, we ask that everyone keep discussions on topic.  In this case, that means keeping the discussion related to Navigatr.  If you need a refresher, please see the Community Guidelines.  

Thank you for keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Update - 1/8/2016: To all users who have posted in this thread, we are cleaning up the language in this thread. Offensive language will be removed.  Please refer to the Community Guidelines and PM me if you have any questions.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KWoo wrote:
@Mister_A
I use the page+ on all my recordings, both standard and HD. There are times when it doesn't work but there's no pattern......and thankfully it's infrequent. When I find the remote getting "funky", I reboot the box and then cross my fingers that I don't lose any recordings when it comes back on!

There is a pattern. If you're on a radio channel like say channel 941 before starting to watch a recorded programme, then the 3-minute skip will not work because skip doesn't work on radio channels.  If you're tuned to a regular channel when starting to watch a recorded programme, then the skip will work.  It's the same on RTN.  Since I never tune to the radio channels, my skip always works.  Page- gives you a 3-minute skip backwards, for those interested.

I have no idea why the channel you are tuned to affects how you can watch a recorded programme, but then there's a lot about Rogers' firmware that is "flaky".  Why would you have to leave a recorded programme to turn on CC in Navigatr for example.  There are many more bugs as already listed in this thread.  For a summary from August see:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

A few of the items in this summary have apparently been fixed in the latest roll-out, but very few!

park
I'm an Advisor

@stoneball wrote:

I discovered a kludge to the fav/subscribe channels view problem! That is to not use the fav button at all. Just set your guide to subscribe and then when ever u use guide, subscribe chs will come up AND if u press guide again u get your fav chs. so u can toggle back and forth between subscribe and fav channels using guide button.

BUT if u ever touch the fav button again, the ability to toggle in guide diasppears.... and will need to be reset

Ill be making an instructional video on this shortly 8>)

You really should make the video !

And please include how to get cc on/off when watching recording.

BTW on Navigator 1 toggels are correct  and do not mess each other up.

i'e.      favkey   toggles fav then guide

and guidekey toggles guide then fav