New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

I am not going to do my usual rant, although I could.  You would hear the same things that many over the last couple of days have said about the preview you tube videos.

Thanks Margaret for the updates and communication plans.

I hope that for the rollout into the uninfected areas, that they get tutorials on all of the features, and workarounds, as there will still be some (like how to find scheduled recordings easily), and CSR tech support, and staff get ready for the blast of "where is my list of scheduled recordings).  To avoid this, it is great that one you are notifying people in advance that the rollout is coming, and two, I hope you have reference to some solid tutorials and explanations of features before they get the box.

I do hope that it comes out stable and reliable, but for those who have never seen it, it is a radical change from the past user interface, and if you don't want to deal with too much frustration with the change over, you had best have good tutorials in place, tech support staff who are patient, and can walk the user step by step through every single feature on the box, be able to respond to the questions related to what they could do before and provide alternatives they can use instead.

And when you are "teaching" us to use the new interface, please none of the usual platitudes, of sorry for inconvience, we are making your experience easier and more pleasurable, and so forth.

Best answer would be something like, We are aware that this change over is a big one and we at Rogers believe that this change will result in a greatly improved experience, and we are fully committed to it, now how can I help you to better understand how to work with these changes, which I am sure may be difficult because, yes you are right, the interface has significantly changed.  We are here to help you get comfortable, and when we are done, if you have suggestions for future developments, please let me know and I will pass it on to the teams involved. Give the alternative ways to communicate via the web site and social media.

This does mean, make sure you have a lot of skilled tech people on staff during this period prepared to take these callls and work efficiently until the customer fully understands how to use the device as it now exists. The last thing you want to happen is have people waiting very long periods.  They may just hang up, order from another company and call back to cancel.

A tall order I know, but as an anology, imagine taking a person who has always driven a car with three on the tree - shift lever manual shift on the steering column, and telling them that they now have an automatic, with buttons on a display screen, along with many other changes from your last car.  They can learn it, but they will need guidance.  It is also similiar to buying a new car, at most dealerships, they book time to go through all the features of the car so that you can use it safely and knowledgeably.

These steps may help calm the storm.

Thanks for the advance notice of email and text notice.  This is greatly appreciated.  And once there is a tentative or firm date of rollouts, I hope someone posts it on the main web site, along with the emails to the individual customers.

We the original batch are naturally sceptical because the first implementation was poorly implemented, with no or very limited communications, so bear with some of us as we scarcastically pick apart what we have seen on the videos.

I concur with all that others have written about features they can't see if they changed in the videos and I will wait until it comes to judge it, but I do concur, that what I see in terms of our concerns about being able to see a view (or list), but at least a queried view of just the tiles that have scheduled shows in them.  It would still be awkard, because we have to open the tiles to see the exact details, but it appears that this iteration of the Espial desktop user interface does not use lists, but is highly emphasized on visual tiles.  Time will tell, will they make this important ability to search and manage our recordings (in particular scheduled) ones definitely easier resulting in improved viewer experience.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersMargaret wrote:

@KWoo

We’ve notified customers who are getting the update this week by email and text.  As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

@RogersMargaret Since I have not received a notification am I then to assume that despite being one of those "blessed" with the initial version of the software I will _not_ be among the first to get the "new and improved" version?  

Assuming that Rogers have actually fixed a few of the myriad bugs that just seems to be adding insult to injury.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @RogersMargaret,

Does this mean that if I didn't receive an email or text from Rogers that my system did not receive the updated software in the past 48 hours? Assuming this is the case then can someone at Rogers provide an explanation as to why a less than two month old Nextbox 3 suddenly started rebooting itself everytime I try to simply turn it on? This only started happening two nights ago andf now the box is effectively dead in the water. Does this also mean that I will lose the 40+% content that was on it? AGAIN?

It sure would be nice to hear from someone, anyone at Rogers. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Bruce (@BS),

@BS wrote:

I am not going to do my usual rant, although I could.  You would hear the same things that many over the last couple of days have said about the preview you tube videos... 

...And when you are "teaching" us to use the new interface, please none of the usual platitudes, of sorry for inconvience, we are making your experience easier and more pleasurable, and so forth.

Best answer would be something like, We are aware that this change over is a big one and we at Rogers believe that this change will result in a greatly improved experience (my emphasis), and we are fully committed to it...

You, sir, are *way* too polite, forgiving and generally too nice.

No one in their right mind can actually believe that this change will result in a 'greatly improved experience' or indeed an improvement of any kind, when it comes to PVR functionality. Please see @billmcintyre's immediately previous 'discussion' about the search results -- again a consequence of the 'Tile' interface. IT'S A TV, NOT A PHONE FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!!!

A tall order I know, but as an anology, imagine taking a person who has always driven a car with three on the tree - shift lever manual shift on the steering column, and telling them that they now have an automatic, with buttons on a display screen, along with many other changes from your last car.  They can learn it, but they will need guidance.  It is also similiar to buying a new car, at most dealerships, they book time to go through all the features of the car so that you can use it safely and knowledgeably.

Not that apt an analogy -- first of all, the UI for cars has been standardized over the years, so everyone understands what the steering wheel, for example, is used for, and how to use it. Also, anyone who drives a 'standard' can easily pick up the concept of an 'automatic', because the operation is SIMPLIFIED!!!

A better car analogy would be, you currently have a 2015 Lexus automatic, and you're presented with a Model T, where, not only do you need to shift gears (manually, except it's a foot pedal), you have to set the spark and the advance manually, crank the engine to start it, and oh, by the way, if you want to go up a steep hill, you have to back up, because the gravity-feed gas tank won't feed the engine once you start to go up too steep an incline. You don't have power windows, or really, windows of any kind -- they're side curtains. The tires will go about 100 miles before you get a flat, and your new top speed is about 35 mph. Oh yes, AND it's us bringing you a 'GREATLY IMPROVED USER EXPERIENCE'

We the original batch are naturally sceptical because the first implementation was poorly implemented, with no or very limited communications, so bear with some of us as we scarcastically pick apart what we have seen on the videos.

Bruce, baby, your wish is my command!!!

Some other 'features' that should be fixed:

• update the software without updating the data the software acts upon (i.e. channel preferences, recorded programs, show recording info)
  • provide a choice - Tile OR List views, if you really must have Tiles
  • channel lists that allow sorting by 'All Subscribed', so we don't have to manually go through each channel to remove unsubscribed channels from the display
  • channel lists that are customizable / savable as preferences, so we can eliminate channels we never watch, like the golf channel

And while you're at it, every time I log on here, I click the 'Remember Me' button, and every time I still have to enter my email address. I'm sure it's a subconscious thing, but it makes me feel a bit unwelcome...

Merry Christmas,

Mr. A

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Brt wrote:

Hello @RogersMargaret,

Does this mean that if I didn't receive an email or text from Rogers that my system did not receive the updated software in the past 48 hours? Assuming this is the case then can someone at Rogers provide an explanation as to why a less than two month old Nextbox 3 suddenly started rebooting itself everytime I try to simply turn it on? This only started happening two nights ago andf now the box is effectively dead in the water. Does this also mean that I will lose the 40+% content that was on it? AGAIN?

Unfortunately, the reboot cycles have no solution other than a factory reset it seems.

The cause is undoubtedly a special sequence of events (bugs). I think I tried to delete a show that was already deleted, but the screen was not updated. This happens if there are no more scheduled recordings in the series. Lots if these around now that most shows are in hiatus. A day or two later the reboots started.

I expect that many people who do not read the forums will fall victim to this bug.

@RogersMargaret

Thanks for the updates and please note that our frustrations are directed at the actual people responsible for the design and implementation of the new interface and not the people on the front lines.

On that note, any chance for a tete-a-tete with these people?? Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would have to park the pitchforks or tar and feathers at the front door 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

@JonBoy49 wrote:

<snip>

@RogersMargaret Since I have not received a notification am I then to assume that despite being one of those "blessed" with the initial version of the software I will _not_ be among the first to get the "new and improved" version?  

Assuming that Rogers have actually fixed a few of the myriad bugs that just seems to be adding insult to injury.

I have been pondering this.  I'm thinking that since springing alpha test Navigatr code on us has resulted in loss of customers, and has severely tested the patience of those of us who remain, their lawyers may have decided that dumping the V0.1a code on us as well is not advised.  In other words, why risk poking angry wounded animals with a sharp stick when there are other fresh targets available that are in a better mood?  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Brt wrote:

Hello @RogersMargaret,

It sure would be nice to hear from someone, anyone at Rogers. 

The only thing that worked for me in this situation was a factory reset.  Yes, I lost all my recordings.  By the way, before I did that I called Rogers, and they told me our NB3 needed to be replaced (it didn't), so don't blindly accept everything they tell you.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the responses @gregneff and @Attila_. That's what I was afraid of. I have no idea what triggered this but it sure is frustrating to lose yet another boat load of shows. It sure would be nice to hear this from someone at Rogers.

And @Mister_A, your Model T analogy is absolutely perfect. Very well said!

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

OH - and yet MORE proof Rogers staff/contractors couldn't program their way out of a wet paper bag.

Post your comment, click on "Return to my previous location".

Do you go back to the post you were reading when you clicked Reply ?

No prize for guessing the answer.   Smiley Mad

Hello @neilpalmer400

The message 'Return To My Previous Location" genuinely pops when the Lithium platform throws an error message. Most of the time, depending on the error; it can be fixed by clearing your cookies and cache.

When you make a Post, the message that normally pops is "Success! Click to go to your post." I'v been testing daily and cannot recreate this error.

If you receive this message again please screen shot it and feel free to PM me directly. I'd love to dig into this.

RogersDarrell