New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 193

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Tiles or not, I would think users want an interface that is bug-free and performs as expected. From what i am hearing those that have been given the upgrade not only don't like the design but also have to put up with somethat that doesn't work most of the time

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 61

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

IMO, I don't think tiles are appropriate for a tv because you have to click click click to get anywhere - for a tablet, yes because you use a finger to slide things around, but not a tv.  My Plex app on my tablet gives me the choice between tiles and list view, and I set it for tiles.  The Rogers guide should offer the same choice.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 193

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Makes sense but to be honest, i would prefer that whatever the choice is, it is bug-free and functional

I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 202

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

The new promotional video touting the wonderful new Navigtr interface ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaIoLBUb3X8 ) makes it obvious that the reason Rogers has changed to tiles is because of ADVERTISING.  The tiles that repeatedly show up - especially when you search for titles - displays results as individual advertisements for movies that Rogers wants you to PAY FOR.

 

Why?  Because Rogers has figured out that it can't stop large numbers of customers from cutting their cable and going with Netflix, but they CAN make more money than they have in the past by increasing the amount of money they get from the remaining customers if they can make those customers pay MORE for things like Video on Demand movies.  This has been clearly noted in the statistics of the number of customers Rogers has been losing - and those are large numbers, but Rogers IS continuing to make larger profits.  The goal of squeezing MORE money out of their existing customers who don't seem to mind paying hundreds of dollars for cable and internet has not been a closely guarded secret.  It's been pointed out that Rogers admits to this strategy.

 

And why are tiles more effective in 'selling' movies to us?  Because each little tile as an advertisement that has been carefully created as an image that will appeal to us.  You are MUCH more likely to pay their $5.99 or more to buy a VOD movie when you see a shrunk down movie poster than when you just see the title of the movie - as in a list - as in the current (non-Navigatr) format.

 

And that's what tiles are.  Little shrunk down movie posters.   Advertisements.  Carefully produced publicity posters designed to be attractive to lure you into wanting to see the movie.  (and PAY for it.)

 

And this becomes more obvious when you notice that Rogers search results heavily favor PAID choices such as VOD - or results that show programs paying on channels you DON'T subscribe to - but, miracle - Rogers provides you an easy and quick option to 'subscribe' to that channel (and worry about paying for it later.)

 

You don't believe me?  Then ask anybody at Rogers WHY they REFUSE to go back to the list format?  Ask them WHY they keep pushing tiles on us.  I'll betcha $10,000 that nobody can give you a good (and honest) answer.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 193

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Every company including Rogers wants more money out of us but tiles aren't going to get me to pay $5.99 for VOD any more than a listing would. Nor would i subscribe to Shomi or Netflix either. Some will fall for it but that's their problem.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 13

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@billmcintyre  I think you're right, but the way things are going, I think they are going to lose even more customers if they keep this new guide.

 

Here's some more promotional videos that were also posted yesteday.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3TfdJEgLI

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHt5g5l_33k

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlyRE0J2eSs

 


Other than a few minor details, it appears that nothing has been improved at all.  Why do we still have to go into My Recordings to see Scheduled Recordings...The old guide was so simple, you could sort Recordings & Scheduled Recordings by Date, Title, Channel & Series.  Please get rid of the Tiles and bring back Scheduled recordings on a separate tab.

 

 

 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 519

Re: New Nextbox Navigator


@headhoncho wrote:

IMO, I don't think tiles are appropriate for a tv because you have to click click click to get anywhere - for a tablet, yes because you use a finger to slide things around, but not a tv.  My Plex app on my tablet gives me the choice between tiles and list view, and I set it for tiles.  The Rogers guide should offer the same choice.


You hit the nail on the head. I have no issues with tiles on Netflix as I access Netflix via the computer or iPad. All that is required is a simple click of the mouse or finger! With the PVR, there are multiple arrow keys to hit to get to the desired tile. The option for a list view is what customers want.  Based on the video I viewed, it is painfully obvious that Rogers is just not listening!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 519

Re: New Nextbox Navigator


@RJ_74 wrote:

@billmcintyre  I think you're right, but the way things are going, I think they are going to lose even more customers if they keep this new guide.

 

Here's some more promotional videos that were also posted yesteday.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3TfdJEgLI

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHt5g5l_33k

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlyRE0J2eSs

 


Other than a few minor details, it appears that nothing has been improved at all.  Why do we still have to go into My Recordings to see Scheduled Recordings...The old guide was so simple, you could sort Recordings & Scheduled Recordings by Date, Title, Channel & Series.  Please get rid of the Tiles and bring back Scheduled recordings on a separate tab.

 


Exactly! Rogers must assume that their customers are very gullible to publish videos like this!

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 102

Re: New Nextbox Navigator


@JohhnyRockets wrote:


You hit the nail on the head. I have no issues with tiles on Netflix as I access Netflix via the computer or iPad. All that is required is a simple click of the mouse or finger! With the PVR, there are multiple arrow keys to hit to get to the desired tile. The option for a list view is what customers want.  Based on the video I viewed, it is painfully obvious that Rogers is just not listening!


 

I could even live with tiles (although I'd rather not) if the darn things didn't keep moving! I find that I watch a program, delete it and then later look for the next episode.  It was in the third row, it is now in the fourth (or first or ...) assumedly because other things have been recorded.

While I'm prepared to give the new version a chance - let's face it, how much worse than the current one can it be (famous last words!) - All the videos seem to indeed prove that Rogers is set on a path and has completley ignored the comments here with the possible exception of a bigger font size!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 26

Re: New Nextbox Navigator


@RJ_74 wrote:

@billmcintyre  I think you're right, but the way things are going, I think they are going to lose even more customers if they keep this new guide.

 

Here's some more promotional videos that were also posted yesteday.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3TfdJEgLI

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHt5g5l_33k

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlyRE0J2eSs

 


Other than a few minor details, it appears that nothing has been improved at all.  Why do we still have to go into My Recordings to see Scheduled Recordings...The old guide was so simple, you could sort Recordings & Scheduled Recordings by Date, Title, Channel & Series.  Please get rid of the Tiles and bring back Scheduled recordings on a separate tab.

 

 

 


Also note on the third clip, around 1:04, where images are now shown instead of the show title. The interface now nicely covers up the lower part of the image and if the title happens to be there, you can admire the picture without knowing what the heck it is.

 

Furthermore, we still don't have the time, the channel and the length of the recording if it was not part of a series.

 

As for the images, they can have them on the search page, but no use having them in the recorded program list. Netflix is different, because you are searching for something to watch and a picture might grab your attention. Looking through my recorded programs, I am interested in the program length and date of recording, not the silly picture that I will see all the time.