New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@park  Thank you for the update and advice.  I will go with the hope that 10 days from now we will see the "miracle" of the New, "new" menu named Navigatr TM.  Not sure I would worry too much about the trade mark. I doubt that anyone is in any hurry to be associated to the name.  Wonder if when it comes out if there will be a name change.  If I was an upper person and marketing person, I would sure recommend it.  Maybe a job for "Ron".

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Mister_A

At least we have kept our sence of humour, even if it is rather sarcastic.  And yes, VW did exactly what it was designed to do,, where as most of Navigtr, hey why not Nvgtr or some pig latin, avigtrna, anything else to forget this mess.  Navigtr was designed to do somethings, not sure what those things were, but the marketed benefits never were there, and much of what they said it did didn't work, or was designed poorly, or things that worked before went wrong, and things that didn't work before, still don't work.

May an early present!!  Will have to wait and see.  I wish I had more confidence, but their track record over the last number of months really has not been very good with implementing changes, then fixing them.

Take care everyone and have a good weekend.  Guess I should start watching shows in case something goes seriously wrong again.

Bruce

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Since the Nextbox update to the new version about 3 months ago I believe Rogers 3.0, i have had problem after problems.  First of all the User Interface literally sux to put it blankly and the page up and down functions don't work on these menu's like it did before.  To top it all off, every time I try to play from my PVR or play from on demand services the box reboots all the time.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers doesn't have programmers, they contract the work out. The 'quality' that you are seeing is the result of a combination of 3rd party development, lousy specs which is Rogers fault and a contract that doesn't hold the service provider accountable. Get used to that sort of thing. The bank i used to work for uses contractors from India and the quality shows there as well.  Employees can be held to a higher standard but 3rd parties will do the bare minimum to get paid

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, if I was working for Rogers doing programming and trouble shooting and took pride in the work and products I provided, I don't think I would be staying very long.

I know when I was programming and designing, I would never have put up with this, no matter what the reasons were.

But, hey maybe there in lies the problem - maybe the good ones have called it a day and left.

Just a thought!!

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I agree that they don't have programmers, they contract out, but I will say the same for the people who set up the contracting and design specs from the company side - the good ones will pack it in over time, and all you are left is what we get.  And by the way, we can get poor programming contracts from any country in the world.  I have had good ones from India, and bad ones, I have had good ones from Canada and locally, and bad ones.

It takes good research and a willingness of upper management to pay for quality - I have had upper management force a poor choice on me, and ultimately I left because who gets blamed - me.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The upper management eventually gets theirs too but not nearly soon enough. Clearly, Rogers has no one capable of gathering requirements or doing design as the complaints about Navigatr show. Even the website isn't well designed. I am personally familiar with prgramming contractors having to deal with IBM and their buy 4 get one free promotion, Unfortunately, they were all IBM India and didn't know how to sort French. There are good contractors out there but they are hard to find.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

What exactly is it going to take for Rogers to finally answer their customers about a fix for this massive failure?

It's amazing to me how long you can keep people waiting and paying for sub service, month after month. Why are some people screwed into keeping navigatr when others aren't?

Especially if I could sell my box to someone in Toronto and they'd suddenly have the old software without begging for it. They'd just plug the box in and get the old software.

I can completely see how it would be impossible for you to do the same for the infested masses. I mean, if I were a complete idiot, I could completely see that.

I'm guessing that the only way to get answers from Rogers about this is to call the Toronto Star to follow up on their past report and contact all TV stations that aren't owned by Rogers to come on down with their HD cameras to get a solid consumers news report. I'm pretty sure CTV has a whole segment on their nightly news about companies that screw people over. Last time I checked, they were owned by Bell.

Silence isn't always golden. Your customers aren't asking much more than a fix date for their cable boxes. Can you help us out?

GIVE US A DATE!!!!!

Thanks for your cooperation.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I recently got a Nextbox PVR as part of my bundle deal from Rogers.  I really didn't want one because of all the problems I've read about it here and from people that I know that have it.  I finally accepted the PVR this time.

I find the tiles very hard to navigate.  There is also no time on the recording so you don't know when it is being recorded, it just has the date.  It's overall very ugly and the suggestions take up too much room on the screen.  The search function did not work for me for 3 days or so too.  The search function is also very poor, it doesn't properly search for your show. 

I also recorded a show on OWN and I had put it to record and then it ended up not recording it because the time of the show shifted by half an hour.  It's ok I guess but I thought it would be more intuitive and know the show just moved a timeslot over. 

I love the PVR itself overall.  I recorded two shows at once and was watching something else, really cool to be able to do that.   PVR technology is really amazing, you really don't know how amazing it is until you get one yourself. 

So far my Nextbox PVR is working ok just a few glitches here and there.  I guess I should binge watch what I recorded since according to this thread, there will be a major update with Navigatr. 

Oh and my Nextbox PVR also rebooted for an hour the other night but seems fine now.  I'm hoping it stays that way as I don't want the problems other people are having in this thread. 

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

There is a lot wrong with the whole setup compared to the previous layout. I can't understand why it was changed unless they got a new IT guy in and he had to put his own stamp on things. Messed up big time. I'm happy if it records the show I set up and plays it back. The interface is so screwed up I'm afraid to do anything that might erase recorded programs....again.

Aside from that Big Brother, everything is just peachy. Really. The chocolate ration this month is more than adequate.