cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@RogersHassam Those are the instructions for the old guide. but I found a thread anyway so it's fine.

@KWoo Yes, it should be an easy thing to turn on from any mode. Not hidden away.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Tmothy12 

There are numerous threads about the navigtr, the related anyplace TV app to use from computer or smart phone to work with PVR, various how to videos that explain most of it, but don't acknowledge the items that actually don't work, such as save order of sorting, no ability to turn off More like this in the settings, although it is there, FAQ article highlights some things with a vague reference to the things that are not working or not there right now and they are improving and I am sure it can be confusing for those not on the box when Navigtr information comes up and visa versa and how to's.

It is a bit of a dog's breakfast finding the information this thread makes it almost impossible to find anything you may be looking for - almost needs to be a thread all by itself of discussions about how to use the product.  Maybe they should sit down and move all the references to how to work around problems and convoluted steps to get something to work, how to understand how to use it in the most efficient ways - call it Navigtr - trouble shooting and tips.

There was a thread a while back about tips from Navigtr uses on how to set series recordings, but the tips ended up this one.

But then again, may as well just keep them here, you can't easily find any of the other threads anyway.

Wonder how much longer we have to live with this mess.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Too kill a bit of time while I wait, I have been going through help search for Navigatr, and any how to and other help categories that show us ways that it really doesn't work, I have been indicating that it didn't provide a solution, and I added the features that don't work (e.g., it says that you can turn off recommendations, doesn't tell you how, but also even if it did show you how to do it in settings, you would find that it doesn't turn them off anyway.)

I may go through each of the threads and summarize what we know on each of them too.

When you are required, somewhat trapped at home, have insomnia often, have to do something to kill time besides swearing at my settop box or writing constantly in the thread on New Nextbox Navigator (I spelled it wrong when I originally posted).

Bruce

park
I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

Too kill a bit of time while I wait, I have been going through help search for Navigatr, and any how to and other help categories that show us ways that it really doesn't work, I have been indicating that it didn't provide a solution, and I added the features that don't work (e.g., it says that you can turn off recommendations, doesn't tell you how, but also even if it did show you how to do it in settings, you would find that it doesn't turn them off anyway.)

I may go through each of the threads and summarize what we know on each of them too.

When you are required, somewhat trapped at home, have insomnia often, have to do something to kill time besides swearing at my settop box or writing constantly in the thread on New Nextbox Navigator (I spelled it wrong when I originally posted).

Bruce

@BS

Please don't continue to torture yourself with all that soon to be wasted effort?

Rogers has promised to fix all the krap in Navigatr within the next 10 days !

Save your energy for 11 days from now,

when we see if incompetence continues or sanity finally prevails.

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @OLDYELLR,

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@BS, @Mister_A, speaking of car analogies, Rogers with Navigatr could be in a similar situation as VW with their TDI etc.

Nice try, but actually, it's the exact opposite -- while it was probably not a real smart thing to do from a PR perspective, the VW programming DID WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO DO, AND DID IT SO WELL THAT NO ONE NOTICED FOR 6-7 YEARS!!!!!

By contrast, Navigatr (and why, BTW, just leave out the 'e' -- think how much time could be saved by leaving out all the vowels...) doesn't work, and it was obvious from about Day One that it was a gigantic piéce du fromage, if you know what I mean.

I can't wait to see the brilliant fix the boy geniuses at Rogers have in store for December!!! Perhaps they'll come out with a smaller version and rename it 'Aviatr'?!?

Regards,

Mr. A

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@park  Thank you for the update and advice.  I will go with the hope that 10 days from now we will see the "miracle" of the New, "new" menu named Navigatr TM.  Not sure I would worry too much about the trade mark. I doubt that anyone is in any hurry to be associated to the name.  Wonder if when it comes out if there will be a name change.  If I was an upper person and marketing person, I would sure recommend it.  Maybe a job for "Ron".

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Mister_A

At least we have kept our sence of humour, even if it is rather sarcastic.  And yes, VW did exactly what it was designed to do,, where as most of Navigtr, hey why not Nvgtr or some pig latin, avigtrna, anything else to forget this mess.  Navigtr was designed to do somethings, not sure what those things were, but the marketed benefits never were there, and much of what they said it did didn't work, or was designed poorly, or things that worked before went wrong, and things that didn't work before, still don't work.

May an early present!!  Will have to wait and see.  I wish I had more confidence, but their track record over the last number of months really has not been very good with implementing changes, then fixing them.

Take care everyone and have a good weekend.  Guess I should start watching shows in case something goes seriously wrong again.

Bruce

psupers
I've Been Around

Since the Nextbox update to the new version about 3 months ago I believe Rogers 3.0, i have had problem after problems.  First of all the User Interface literally sux to put it blankly and the page up and down functions don't work on these menu's like it did before.  To top it all off, every time I try to play from my PVR or play from on demand services the box reboots all the time.

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers doesn't have programmers, they contract the work out. The 'quality' that you are seeing is the result of a combination of 3rd party development, lousy specs which is Rogers fault and a contract that doesn't hold the service provider accountable. Get used to that sort of thing. The bank i used to work for uses contractors from India and the quality shows there as well.  Employees can be held to a higher standard but 3rd parties will do the bare minimum to get paid

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, if I was working for Rogers doing programming and trouble shooting and took pride in the work and products I provided, I don't think I would be staying very long.

I know when I was programming and designing, I would never have put up with this, no matter what the reasons were.

But, hey maybe there in lies the problem - maybe the good ones have called it a day and left.

Just a thought!!

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I agree that they don't have programmers, they contract out, but I will say the same for the people who set up the contracting and design specs from the company side - the good ones will pack it in over time, and all you are left is what we get.  And by the way, we can get poor programming contracts from any country in the world.  I have had good ones from India, and bad ones, I have had good ones from Canada and locally, and bad ones.

It takes good research and a willingness of upper management to pay for quality - I have had upper management force a poor choice on me, and ultimately I left because who gets blamed - me.

Bruce

rgottinger

The upper management eventually gets theirs too but not nearly soon enough. Clearly, Rogers has no one capable of gathering requirements or doing design as the complaints about Navigatr show. Even the website isn't well designed. I am personally familiar with prgramming contractors having to deal with IBM and their buy 4 get one free promotion, Unfortunately, they were all IBM India and didn't know how to sort French. There are good contractors out there but they are hard to find.

What exactly is it going to take for Rogers to finally answer their customers about a fix for this massive failure?

It's amazing to me how long you can keep people waiting and paying for sub service, month after month. Why are some people screwed into keeping navigatr when others aren't?

Especially if I could sell my box to someone in Toronto and they'd suddenly have the old software without begging for it. They'd just plug the box in and get the old software.

I can completely see how it would be impossible for you to do the same for the infested masses. I mean, if I were a complete idiot, I could completely see that.

I'm guessing that the only way to get answers from Rogers about this is to call the Toronto Star to follow up on their past report and contact all TV stations that aren't owned by Rogers to come on down with their HD cameras to get a solid consumers news report. I'm pretty sure CTV has a whole segment on their nightly news about companies that screw people over. Last time I checked, they were owned by Bell.

Silence isn't always golden. Your customers aren't asking much more than a fix date for their cable boxes. Can you help us out?

GIVE US A DATE!!!!!

Thanks for your cooperation.

Sauga
I Plan to Stick Around

I recently got a Nextbox PVR as part of my bundle deal from Rogers.  I really didn't want one because of all the problems I've read about it here and from people that I know that have it.  I finally accepted the PVR this time.

I find the tiles very hard to navigate.  There is also no time on the recording so you don't know when it is being recorded, it just has the date.  It's overall very ugly and the suggestions take up too much room on the screen.  The search function did not work for me for 3 days or so too.  The search function is also very poor, it doesn't properly search for your show. 

I also recorded a show on OWN and I had put it to record and then it ended up not recording it because the time of the show shifted by half an hour.  It's ok I guess but I thought it would be more intuitive and know the show just moved a timeslot over. 

I love the PVR itself overall.  I recorded two shows at once and was watching something else, really cool to be able to do that.   PVR technology is really amazing, you really don't know how amazing it is until you get one yourself. 

So far my Nextbox PVR is working ok just a few glitches here and there.  I guess I should binge watch what I recorded since according to this thread, there will be a major update with Navigatr. 

Oh and my Nextbox PVR also rebooted for an hour the other night but seems fine now.  I'm hoping it stays that way as I don't want the problems other people are having in this thread. 

Cap07

There is a lot wrong with the whole setup compared to the previous layout. I can't understand why it was changed unless they got a new IT guy in and he had to put his own stamp on things. Messed up big time. I'm happy if it records the show I set up and plays it back. The interface is so screwed up I'm afraid to do anything that might erase recorded programs....again.

Aside from that Big Brother, everything is just peachy. Really. The chocolate ration this month is more than adequate.

ozham
I Plan to Stick Around

4 MONTHS NOW AND NOT A WORD FROM RON PERROTTA ON THIS PROBLEM!

Perhaps he has moved on!

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I believe that Ron went incognito immediately upon the rollout of the changed user interface. He may or may not still be there.

The reality is that Rogers with its suppliers blew this one badly, and they have had to go back to the drawing board and figure out where they are going, because the past road turned out to be a complete dead end.

Unfortunately, we the customer have never been provided details on why we are stuck with this piece of garbage (for those who got it), while everyone else got a reprieve and didn't have to go through it.  The only honest actions were that Rogers dealt with the NB2's where they lost their shows, and they stopped the rollout - other than that, all we have is rumours, and Rogers continues to market the new Navigtr.  I notice in my local store, they didn't actually have a setbox for display - convient - I asked why, they said, they were out of stock in their store. He was honest when I asked if I got the box at another store, which interface would I get.

So we wait, we wait, we wait, we wait,.....  

All I ask, is keep us up to date on where you are taking us so that we can decide if we want to move on with full information infront of us, or do we want to be patient and see what is coming.

I am sorry, but I have no trust of Rogers on this one anymore.

Bruce

p.s.  But this is what we have all been saying for how long? And it is being heard by tech staff, CSR's, office of president, managers, retentions, Facebook, Twitter, word of mouth to people we know, and yet we still get nothing but silence.  Come on, just own up and let us know.  Things go wrong, but good customer service means letting we the customer know, and I do hope that when a new customer comes on, you are being fully upright and honest on what they are getting and what it means if you are in the effected areas.  And let the customer know that for now they are getting a known lemon.

And please stop displaying Navigtr as the new thing that provides all the marketed benefits - say that the effected areas will receive it, that rollout is on hold for all other areas and you will get the old user interface, and advise those in the effected areas that they will get the new interface with all of its known problems, and that a solution is being worked on but the exact date of implementation is unknown.

Now that would be open and transparent truth in marketing to existing customers and new customers.

Bruce

rgottinger

This is another reason that the States are better off. More than one cable company can service an area. Here Bell is our other choice. Not much of an option, certainly not from a pricing standpoint

@rgottinger

Um, you can have more then one cable company service an area in Canada as well. It's just a matter of IF they provide service to an area. You might be in an area with only BELL available (sorry for your trouble) but a lot of places are serviced by both Rogers and Bell.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

And there are also third party providers of both TV and Internet available that run over Fibe, Cable, or DSL (yes people still have DSL once you get outside of major cities).  I think the original position was that there are only two choices Bell or Rogers in most areas and now that Bell is into TV, they have the full range of services to compete with Rogers (as long as the infrastructure is in place, and typically if Rogers is in place, then Bell infrastructure is also there, or will be shortly).

Another thing that the US has is something called a smart key (or something like that), that allows you to run any kind of setbox of your choice.  Our providers could do the same if they chose to, but they tie themselves to one type of box.  This choice is mandated in the U.S. for all cable providers.

Now the only thing left to make the market fully competetive is the next implementation that Bell is appealing that 3rd party competitors can access the big three or four if you include Shaw to permit them to access Fibe and cable fibre infrastructures, locally rather than only one location in each province, which will improve accessability, speed, reliability, latency, a whole lot of things for the third parties.

We are going to see more and more TV media providers coming on line with IPTV, now the last thing that CRTC needs to do is make the big companies, including the little companies too to require you to have internet and tv bundled together.  At the moment, if you want a different internet from the one that comes with the TV provider, you would have to have it be pay for two Internet services.

Things are changing, both legislatively, and technologically and competively very fast at the moment, and who knows what the options will be like in a year or so.

It is similiar to when all the options to Bell long distance with calling cards, long distance plans that ran through third party PBX's and various other permutations came in, or the impact that Skype and other similiar services had in forcing phone producers and carriers to begin to change their models so they didn't lose all their voice services.

It just is hard to catch up, and sometimes we get caught in messes as it comes, like the Nexbox 3 Navigtr mess, the headaches of understanding new models of two year versus three year plan options and each company finding their niche markets.  I fortunately, have a good understanding of the whole field, as well as marketing and financing models. I feel sorry for those who just want services, and just can't grasp all these changes.  The ones who just want to stay the same, and don't really want to change - but I suspect that companies will find alternatives for these users to and make them their niche market.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

By the way, for those who complain about Bell, they have good stories too, along with bad ones - just like Rogers and every other provider.  It is for each individual to decide what works best and the level of quality service they require.

My in laws live outside of any Rogers or Bell fibe services, so their Internet and phone comes from Bell with a third party long distance for a long time. They had a smaller sattelite company and many neighbours used Look services before they go out of the business, although those services are now Telnet, but the people are satisfied and they do have options, although unlimited.

My inlaws recently took all their services into a Bell sattelite, internet, phone bundle and saved considerable money, very reduced price for a full year, and only small increase in the second year - no cancellation fees, installation fees, etc.

They got it when they called in for tech support - they are very computer illiterate, so they rely highly on their support and it works very well for them.

Just my message that there are good and bads about all companies, as there are with all major companies, but their deal was very nice loyality, moving to faster DSL, giving them two PVR's which they have yet to figure out, on their sattelite from Bell, and free longdistance.

My only message here is we all have our own experiences, we all experience limited choices for our services as companies are selective on where they want to provide services, but there is choice, although often limited.

Bell is doing really good deals to rural customers right now because the third party Internet, phone and tv services can now be run over the Bell DSL and phone lines out there, so the competition results in good rates and good services.

So keep researching over the next year, there are changes in the wind.

Bruce