New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Has anyone else had this happen:

Went to bed early as I was tired, with a few shows to record.  Got up at around 11:30 pm, wanting to just stare at some mindless tv for a while.

But the box will not turn off or on, no video or audio signal, but the red recording light is on, which should be the case as I had set up to record The Late Night Show with Steven Cobert.

I am guessing that at 12:37, the recording will either stop, or keep going on as I have seen happen at times.

I also suspect that I will have to reboot the box to get access back. 

I will update what the results are - just wondered if anyone else has had this happen.

Can access the box with Anyplace TV on the computer, - see the PVR and all  recordings, but cannot get it to show a recorded show, or set up a recording, so guess some things on the box are active (like the current recording - I hope), and access to the PVR list of recordings and future recordings.

Ahh the joys of the Navigtr.  I won't ask if we know anything new - last I heard was sometime in November, or something else - who can remember anymore.

Guess I will watch some Netflix. or on demand on my computer.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, outcome was as I expected.

I rebooted the box about 12:50, it went through the whole reboot cycle, back to normal working status, not recording anymore, but no recording to be found for the late night show for Monday night.

What can I say that hasn't been said before.

What I still can't understand is why Rogers just won't be honest with its customers and tell us what they plan to do.

All we know for sure is that around post 35 of this thread, we heard our first "official notice", that the issues were heard, that the priority was the NB2 issues of lost recordings, and parental settings, but that the other issues related to interface would come at an undefined period, and that it was a high priority and the team is working hard on a solution.

Next came a notice of tutorials on how to do things.

Around that same time came the FAQ's that were first reported in the Toronto Star article, that acknowledge the major issues and bugs, and that they were working hard to improve our viewing experience, and to keep looking for updates to come (or something like that).

There has been an occasional notice of second hand reports of when things may be taken care of, but other than the official stopping of the rollout and decision to have us effected users "just live with it and that change can be difficult", we really have heard nothing.

If it wasn't for this forum, I would not no of anything that is going on, or I would be doing chats and phone calls and getting more and more frustrated.  At least here, we can be frustrated together, and vent, and also have some humour, and also some come and tell us that they are gone forever from Rogers.

So we wait, and wait, and wait, ....  To emphasize though, I am not blaming moderators or experts, or front line staff, or managers, techinical support staff, and even office of president - you aren't being told any official line either that I am aware of.

Maybe, since many of us have been to the office of the president, it is time to start putting complaints to the CCTS - they seem to be able to get some answers.  https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/guide

I would say that the two things I would like to see is an explanation as to the contractual, business decision, or technically not possible due to fundamental changes, or first step in an ongoing process of moving the whole upgrade out once a new design has been developed, or statement that they have changed direction, and are unable to change the current situation that we live with daily.

Some fair way to treat the effected customers in a consistent manner.  We are all aware that some compensation has been offered on an individual basis as people escalated and raised concerns, but many will have received nothing.

Finally, an explanation of just where they are taking us with these changes, so we can make educated decisions as consumers as to whether we wait for them to get it right and get the changes and promised improvements out to us, or just move to some of the many alternative television service providers out there, which seem to be growing in numbers every day.

Is that too much to ask.  I will sit down sometime this week and draft what I may decide to send to the CCTS.

But to be honest, I may not get up the energy to actually do it, although it would be less time than writing here, but I am just so tired of it all, along with the many other complaints and service errors in pricing and changes that I have been through with Rogers in the last year.

But that is a different issue.

Good night - will have to find The late night show online.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Bruce,

As you rebooed at 12:50a you could have recorded The Late Show With Stephen Colbert at 2:35a on Ch.568 HDGBC.

You should also find last night's episode in On Demand (under Global) in a few days.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Bruce,

I woke up to the same issue this morning. The 8642 in the bedroom was on but no picture or audio.....the guide worked and everything, I just couldn't see or hear anything. I rebooted the box and it's working fine.

Then I checked the Nextbox 3.0 in the living room and it was sitting on "load" so I waited a few minutes and when it didn't do anything, I rebooted it as well. It started working again and then rebooted itself. I had to leave for work so I'm hoping everything is fine when I get home tonight.

A couple months ago I had to swap out one Nextbox for another because of constant rebooting and lost all my recordings. I'm hoping that won't be the same outcome this time around!

I'm interested to hear how your boxes are working now that several hours have passed.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

So far, knock on wood, I only have the one NB3, is working ok.

Well, we have an extensive bug and issue log in this thread don't we?

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@neilpalmer400  Thanks for the information. I was looking for the other show time (couldn't find it in that "new more efficient search", so just figured I would get it online somewhere, a day late or two.

Thanks for letting me know - The future programming for The Late Night Show is one of my most unpredictable recorded shows so far.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Found a way to make the mystery of the tiles at least a bit manageable.  Keep an old show in a tile and don't  delete it.  Then you will be able to go looking for that one, then the tiles that have no recordings, but have future recordings, will be in chronigical order with the most current ones appearing first in order of time, and then down to the point where it runs out of tiles that have menu items attached.

Ahead of the oldest saved tile that has been watched (or could even be new), you will find all your recorded shows.

Recently I have noticed that there is a number count of new (unwatched) shows shown in the new box on the tile in the bottom right corner.  I don't recall seeing that before, but then again with the "small fonts", it would have been easily missed. 

So this little trick does help me a bit for figuring things out.  I also leave a recorded watched show in tiles until the menu catches up.  I try to keep a mental note (it will be an older recording within the last week, and look for the future recording, I will then delete the watched recording, and that pushes the future recording to the bottom again.

I am beginning to feel like we could collaborate and write a book entitled "A dummies book to using the various settop boxes currently in use by Rogers Cable Services."

It would begin with an introductory statement, "The longest chapter is dedicated to the use of the new Navigtr, the most inefficient, unpredictable piece of programming you will ever experience."  This section is too complicated for "dummies", as the use of the box is extremely complicated, and any suggestions we give, are not predictable.  What is required most is patience, to read the forums, and a willingness to put up with krap until they figure it out.

A new chapter will be written on new boxes as they arrive.  Feel free to contact the authors, and we will add details as it comes.

Enjoy your TV watching, or at least be patient, and remember much of it you can find online or elsewhere - yes, I know with that recommendation, you may ask, why bother then. We leave that decision to you to make on our own.

Just some humour -

Partner book - the life and times of living with Navigtr as told by a frustrated user.

I wonder if upper management realizes that neither their staff, or the consumer really wants to be the brunt of jokes made due to their decisions and poor communication.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When I got home tonight, the NB3 was still busy rebooting every 3 minutes so I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. Yes, I lost all my recordings but at least it saved a trip to the store or a day wasted waiting for a tech to swap boxes......both of which would have had the same result. Thankfully I was home sick most of last week so I'd done a bunch of binge watching, thus minimizing the number of lost recordings. Having said that, I still lost about a dozen or so recordings so I had to spend a couple hours tonight finding them elsewhere as well as setting up all my scheduled recordings. What an absolute waste of time!
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I can relate - my wife works a long day with travel time, plus works out most evenings, me I spend most of "retired day" at appointments.

We like to watch a lot of shows together - after 37 years, we have a lot of similiar TV habits, but also ones that she watches but I don't and visa versa.

We then binge watch on weekends and Friday night, with a nice meal, some wine, and nights where there is nothing to watch.  It allows us to keep up on our shows, so it also means we are very dependent on our PVR.  We learned this process decades ago when our first daughter was born, we both worked a lot of hours and we had to start taking turns going to bed early to get up with our daughter who was colic.  We bought our first VCR and quality TV. We could sit in the living room, taking turns comforting her, and watch tv together, or one would sit up while the other slept one would watch their individual shows allow us to stay sane with a daughter who didn't sleep well for almost 2 years, and repeated again every time she pushed a tooth.

We developed a life style where our recordings were critical to our TV watching styles, and working the demands of life around too.

We have lost this predictability, and so we take turns complaining at each other when something happens, and we take turns soothing each other through it, then I update this thread.  Just think, if my current 4 continual issues ever get fixed and stable, I will have to start looking at all threads and providing input where I can. And most importantly, I can stop being so negative and using my humour and sarcasm to cope, and just stay on topic with helping someone with what I know or suggestions on how to deal with issues that come up.  After 22 years with Rogers, I have had a lot of experience with working through the beuracracy of Rogers, which seems to be constantly changing.

So I look forward and hope that these issues get resolved soon, so I can spend the rest of my terms enjoying my services happily, I can provide compliments to Rogers, higher number than complaints, and tell people here things I have learned.

My wife and I have made the decision that Rogers is now on their last major screwup that effects our services, and if they don't become better at impementing change and rolling it out seamlessly, that we will make a life style and choice of company change.  So to keep us as customers, they still have time, but the clock is ticking.  I have communicated this intention to the OOP and have given them the challenge of finding a way to get better at this.

I will acknowledge that they fixed whatever the problem was the recent minor change on the My Rogers pages related to billing and payments and services tabs and dropping the connection to the data source to create the bills. I could include a but with this, but I won't I will just thanks for fixing one of the issues I have reported.

Good night everybody.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

RE: New Nextbox Navigator

I am pretty sure that Rogers has been inundated with dissastisfied users on their new Navigatr DVR software.

Here is my main gripe.

There are some shows we have recorded where there are multiple episodes in some cases up to forty.  When you select the show you are given a list by date newest first.  Who watches the newest show first?  To find the oldest show you need to scroll down to the bottom of the list.  When there are forty shows this takes forever and there is no page down or page up facility.

Once you have found your show and watched it you generally want to delete it.  This again is a painful process.  When the show finishes you are returned to the listing with the newest show first so have to scroll down to the bottom again just to delete the show.  Now imagine you are binge watching which is normally the case when you have this many of one show recorded.  You spend ten minutes of every hour just scrolling. 

There are many other issues with this software and I still don't understand why it was thought a good idea to roll this out.  Its much worse than the previous interface and a massive step backwards.  Whoever designed this interface should be fired.

We are just about living with this at the moment but I have found myself paying much more attention to the Bell Fibe flyers that land on my doorstep on a weekly basis.

Please tell me someone is fixing this mess and why can't we just revert to the old interface?