cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigatr

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Can anyone tell me how many posts it takes for the 'I plan to stick around' tag is replaced with something more appropriate?

It would certainly be interesting to know whether the new 'Navigatr' back-end is the source of most people's problems, or whether it's the UI -- the functionality that has been lost might very well still be there, but with no user commands to access it, of course we can't access it. I mean, for me personally, the  UI (Useless Interface) blows chunks, but with the exception of the two problems above, I haven't had much in the way of technical issues, even when the system reboots itself.

Navigatr! Bettr and bettr!

Regards,

Mr. A

JonBoy49
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Just heard from a Rogers tech line employee that a massive rework of the whole thing is in the final stages and they plan to roll it out to _all_ customers in November.

Hopefully they will actually do some real world testing this time. But frankly it couldn't get much worse so ...

JonBoy49
In terms of missing recordings etc. I can offer one piece of advice. _Don't_ delete the last recording in a folder until the next scheduled recording has happened.

I just figured out that I seemed to be missing a lot of recordings and that the ones I missed were ones where I had watched and deleted all the recorded programs.

May just be coincidence but ...

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @JonBoy49

Don't underestimate Rogers -- the test for me will be if they retain the tile UI.

Regards,

Mr. A

park
I'm an Advisor

@JonBoy49 wrote:
In terms of missing recordings etc. I can offer one piece of advice. _Don't_ delete the last recording in a folder until the next scheduled recording has happened.

I just figured out that I seemed to be missing a lot of recordings and that the ones I missed were ones where I had watched and deleted all the recorded programs.

That is actually one of fundamental flaws of Navigatr: i.e. how it keeps track of recordings.

Unlike us humans, it does not distinguish between the past and the future and is totally confused about now/present-time.  When Navigatr was launched Rogers actually touted this as one of the beneifts, zap everything in fewer keystrokes !

PS  Agree - tiles gotta go !

rgottinger

Given how bad the last release was, extensive testing is a must.

park
I'm an Advisor

@Mister_A wrote:

Can anyone tell me how many posts it takes for the 'I plan to stick around' tag is replaced with something more appropriate?

--------

Regards,

Mr. A

About 100 before you graduate to a  RUSTED CONSPIRATOR !  (or is it TRASH COMPACTOR? )

@rgottinger wrote:

Given how bad the last release was, extensive testing is a must.

Preferably in India 😉

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @park

@krap wrote:

That is actually one of fundamental flaws of Navigatr: i.e. how it keeps track of recordings.

Unlike us humans, it does not distinguish between the past and the future and is totally confused about now/present-time.  When Navigatr was launched Rogers actually touted this as one of the beneifts, zap everything in fewer keystrokes !

PS  Agree - tiles goota go !

Ah! But obviously its new 'dump all recordings in the top-level-folder feature' actually requires 4 keystrokes per episode!!! And that doesn't count having to click on EACH TILE just to see what episode it is, even if it's not one you want to delete!!! Brilliant!

BTW while my 'Lose the Tiles' tag is trademarked, I'm granting everyone on this forum (also the remainder of the internet) the right to use it in perpetuity.

Maybe I should get T-shirts?!?

Regards,

Mr. A

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @park and @rgottinger,

Actually, extensive testing won't really solve anything, because the 'extensive testing' will be testing the extent to which the revised code does what the revised design is intended to do, and not at all whether the UI is at all usable by normal humans.

My experience has been that there is always some genius who patronizingly 'appreciates' your concerns, but after all, you don't have access to all the information, and your tiny brain can't really comprehend the wonderfulness of the intrinsic Tiles-based useless interface. Or should that be 'Tils'?!?

Not holding my breath, and giving odds.

Depressing to hear that I still have 70 or so posts to go -- too bad I can't get Navigatr to just 'record' the extra 70 posts instantaneously like it did when it used up all my recording space on a single, SD 60 minute program...

Regards,

Mr. A

rgottinger

To be honest, competent project management would demand extensive testing given the previous disaster but as I said before, competent management wouldn't have led to this happening in the first place.

teabag43
I Plan to Stick Around

Lucky you!!!

teabag43
I Plan to Stick Around
Don't let them upgrade it!!

teabag43
I Plan to Stick Around
ROLL IT BACK

teabag43
I Plan to Stick Around

DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT THE PROBLEMS WILL BE FIXED.  LIKE A LARGER FONT.  THE OLD GUIDE WAS THE BEST BUT THEY HAD TO SCREW AROUND. 

jinx8910
I Plan to Stick Around

I just hope before they do anything they give us a heads up.  Not likely since they haven't responded to any of our requests or questions yet.  But one can hope.  I just don't want to lose all my recordings.

please Rogers don't mess with us poor victims again.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@teabag43 Rolling back to RTN has been discussed here frequently, but Rogers is adamant that it cannot and will not. Physically I see no reason why not, so it has to be something contractual with big, big money involved. Whatever it is, it has to be more important than the prospect of customers leaving.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

park
I'm an Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@teabag43 Rolling back to RTN has been discussed here frequently, but Rogers is adamant that it cannot and will not. Physically I see no reason why not, so it has to be something contractual with big, big money involved. Whatever it is, it has to be more important than the prospect of customers leaving.

Might be more than $ involved here.

Espial screwed-up big time and its total revenues are a rounding error compared to Rogers.

I suspect egos are in the way of a the right/logical roll-back  decison.

Thought it might be the newish CEO from Vodaphone, but I it could someone named Ro**rs. 

Lots of them in high places here.

91 DAYS AND COUNTING !

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Egos is often the worst factor in getting things dealt with.  The blinders go up real fast when you have invested a lot of time and money into a project (by all players) and it takes a very strong humble group of people to admit (we blew it) and do the right thing.  Been there personally.  And given the size of Espial, Videotron, Cisco and other players, yes, it is nothing but a rounding error, but I suspect the lost customers at this point to Rogers is also a rounding error equivalent.

I know I haven't left yet - long term loyalty leads to patience, plus I haven't found an alternative solution yet. So I am forced to comment here and to the contact the company on and off about my concerns and ask for clarification on status - I have the time, I am retired.

For some humour though - I played the disappearing tiles game last night - we did some catch up on about 5 shows we have taped, and as we reached each last one, low and behold because the scheduled recordings are not in the menu. The programming mind in me says that they created a 1:1 relationship on tile (scheduled show) and presence in the menu.  When there is no future menu item, the tile vanishes if you deleted the last recorded show and no menu item for the new one.

The suggestion of leave the recorded show there until you have a recorded show present is a good one, then the tile doesn't disappear.  The future recording in the database has not disappeared, it is just waiting for the presence of an item in the menu.  No reason when they reprogram that they can't design the tile to show when code is present, but no recording or future show is present.  Just means thinking like a customer, not a programmer or designer.  There lies the problem.

Next game I played was the creation of multiple recordings and future recordings. Because we had accidently deleted some tiles and related future recordings when we did too many deletes as the tiles play musical tiles, some were completed deleted, some just disappeared.  So we are looking to see why a show is not recording, so we push record, then set up future recordings - we then end up with multiple recordings, and future recordings. On the box, we don't konw what to delete because there is no channel references, so is this duplicated on same channel, or way up the dial?

Arbitrarily deleted  one of them, then I will go over to Anyplace TV PVR managements later and clean it all up (that is if it works) - see how all the current problems of browser compatability, pop up management, anyplace TV, navigatr, all become intertwined with each other, and although they run as seperate, they are all part of the bigger problems.

Entertaining, somewhat, frustrating, somewhat.  Just shake our heads, and go find the show on demand, or on the internet.  If a full on demand service ever was available online, we would drop cable totally - oh yeh, that is called IPTV.

lol  Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the insight into Navigatr @BS because I don't have it. Even the concept of "tiles" makes me shudder because I run Windows XP on my desktop and 7 with Classic Shell on my laptop. But I can see some young whizz kid giving a Powerpoint presentation to Rogers management how slick and "modern" it would be and Rogers buying it to "stay with the times". Musical Tiles and whack-a-mole recordings, hoping you don't whack the wrong one paints a grim picture.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @BS,

Egos are definitely a problem, but incompetence is just as big a problem. The executives who can green-light expensive projects are (*usually*) not competent to evaluate them, so, as @OLDYELLR says, they are susceptible to fads promoted by employees without design experience.

As I used to explain to my clients, GOOD design doesn't cost any more than BAD design, but you have to be able to tell which is which, because just by virtue of the bell curve, there are more bad designers than good ones. If you're not trained, it is difficult to recognize bad design, especially when it's being touted by your so-called experts or consultants.

Actually, it's not so much egos as it is self-preservation. Imagine how management would react to the news that, yes, well, we've SPENT the $200 million on the new software development, but we're behind schedule and problems have been identified. Do you really want to recommend scrapping the whole UI and starting over, thereby advertising your lack of competence, or is it more prudent to report that the 'bugs' are being worked out, and based on our customer feedback and customer service procedures, we're proactively responding to our customers and have temporarily delayed further roll-out so as to minimize customer problems while we deal with the VERY FEW identified issues?

We all know that heads should roll on this one, but I'm sure the personal assistants who operate the TV remotes for senior Rogers executives are not likely to point out how much more difficult their jobs have become.

And Bruce, there is no 'cheap' TV in Canada, but Bell has none of these problems (yet). Not only is the program / episode information complete, including CHANNEL NUMBER (like I can remember what number FX is...) and episode number, their PVR won't record something again that's already in the PVR. (Also, no TILES, nice big font, lists, totally intuitive recording, playback and management.)

I forgot about another Bell feature that Rogers would do well to emulate -- when my Ex-Box PVR hit 98% capacity through no fault of my own, I was reminded that you can plug an external USB hard drive into the Bell box and expand your capacity more or less immediately. From reading, it appears that Rogers will let you buy an 'extender' if you need one (however don't quote me -- not sure if that is current). How convenient is that?

Rats, I should have broken this into about four posts to try and get my count up.

Regards,

Mr. A