cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

teabag43
I Plan to Stick Around

I have two nextboxes 3 linked up on whole home.  They can be working find and then you have to reboot to get them to connect to each other.  The change to the guide is bad enough but can't they just have stable software that doesn't require a reboot frequently..   Tired of it.  That and that lousy guide.

Brt
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello all,

I've been plagued with most of the same issues as the rest of you since being inflicted by Navigatr with the exception of losing recordings ... however that changed yesterday morning!

I rebooted the box since it was lagging the night before and in the process, an update was pushed to the box, and wasnt't I thrilled to see that it blew away 35% of my content. I'd been away for two weeks as well so I haven't had a chance to watch anything since all the new shows started ... woohoo ... On Demand here I come. It's bad enough having to endure Navigatr but let's add the equally deficient On Demand experince to the mix .... what a mess Rogers!

I called into Rogers to voice my frustration and received the same party line that there is little they can do. The person I spoke with seemed quite surprised to hear I had lost content as he was under the impression it only happened during the initial roll out. I suggested he take a couple of hours and review the 989 messages in this thread!

Anyway, I've asked Rogers to let me know within the next 48 hours what they can do to remedy the situation, or at the very least tell me if when they expect to have the problems addressed or I'm searching for new services on the weekend.

Three months of this nonsense is enough after being a Rogers customer for 25+ years.

Cheers

ozham
I Plan to Stick Around
Totally agree this is unacceptable. This whole situation is out of control!
We in the affected area for the so called NEW NAVIGATR are being discriminated against compared to the rest of your customers.

ozham
I Plan to Stick Around
Manage my PVR has not functioned for me for several days now. So even that route into the PVR has been lost. Just think we are paying for all this!

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ozham as I replied in another thread, Manage PVR is not 100% reliable.  Most of the time it works for me and whenever someone says it's not working, I check mine.  Right now it doesn't see my PVR, only STB1.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@ozham as I replied in another thread, Manage PVR is not 100% reliable.  Most of the time it works for me and whenever someone says it's not working, I check mine.  Right now it doesn't see my PVR, only STB1.

Remote PVR can see all of my boxed except my NB3.

Honest to god, if Bell could get me a speed better than 10mb, Id move to Fibe in a heartbeat at this point.

Jack22
I Plan to Stick Around

MODERATOR:

WHEN WILL ROGERS BE RESPONDING TO SUBSCRIBERS AS TO WHEN FIXES CAN BE EXPECTED?

IT IS NOT UP TO US TO CONTINUALLY CALL TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO FIX PROBLEMS EVERY DAY WHEN RE-BOOTING WILL NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS NONSENSE.

IF YOU QUOTE BACK THE "PARTY LINE", WE ARE SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE, I SHALL SCREAM.

WHEN, WHEN, WHEN??

jinx8910
I Plan to Stick Around

Jack,

are you seriously expecting a reply.? The moderators only weigh in if we say something remotely sarcastic or "illegal". This has been going on for almost three months.  Instead of all leaving like we said we would in 30 days then 60 days we are still here.  Rogers is counting on us giving up and adapting.

sethlwilson
I Plan to Stick Around

Cut the cord!

ozham
I Plan to Stick Around

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS!!

I got an email back in July saying my nextbox would automatically upgrade to the new Navigatr guide. It is now October and that has never happened. Why?  How to I get the upgrade?

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Hi everybody, I have come back after a long and needed rest.  

I have worked the phones and chat lines about once per week to keep my position known, but accept the fact that the people on the bottom don't know.  I actually tell them what I know at this point and is there any new knowledge.  If none, I just reiterate that this delay with no communication is unacceptable, and could you please pass my chat up to a higher level and in some cases, I have them open another ticket.  It is not changing anything, but I am not expecting it to; programming is time consuming, and I would rather they spend the time and get it right this time.  I leave satisfied that I have kept the issues in the forefront as best as I can.

I have realized at the end of the day, that in general, I am happy with my services. Tthere are things that bug me, some more than others, I communicate my appreciation for the things I like, the friendly voice on the chat or phone, as well as my concerns and this is why I stay.  

My loyalty has not kept my two daughters who have made the decision to leave - they are young adults, and they have watched what has gone on in the last few months, and so they have done very careful researching and are moving on. I have researched with them, and there really are lots of options out there, and growing everyday with the recent changes from the CRTC to force access to more nodes on the Fiber that all the companies have laid, which means we get more services available like Aurora Communications (used to be cable), Netsavy, and others, and a few new ones coming in who can run all home services, home phone, IPTV, and Internet coming down the Rogers, Telus, Bell, whoever has the wires to your  home, even DSL in the country, but that one is still slow and limited, but is still an new option for TV. AThey have given Rogers a chance to meet what they are loooking for, but have decided that they prefer to go in different directions, which is ok with me. Their rationalle is that the other companies give them more choice to pick and choose exactly what services they do and don't need, getting them the cheapest price along with discounts on the phones they bring. And no it is not Wind, although one seriously considered it, and decided against because of coverage, but she is not in a contract, can leave anytime, and owns her own phone. 

My point of the above is that there are options out there, amazing number of them, all competetive, benefits and risks to all, but they are out there.  At the end of the day, we can learn to live with it, fight it, move on, or even consider a whole life style change - all of these things didn't even exist 20 years ago, and the reality is that in general at my own level of service is still the same as it was 20 years ago in terms of what I consume - quality is  better, cost is higher, but that is to be expected.  We all have a choice, and I respect all of you for whatever you choose.  

So everybody keep speaking up, change will come sooner or later, and if we don't like the change, we speak up again, we decide to walk, or to just live with it.

@Mybubbles65, other than your legitimate desire for the answer to the question of when is it coming, read the threads thoroughly and be patient for it to come and hopefully, you won't experience what all of us have experienced since July When the next change comes, hopefully it will be good, and our own concerns will be dealt with too.  

Frustrating for sure, and you are only asking the same question that the effected ones are asking - when and what? A reasonable question, that remains unanswered, in general, other than to stop the rollout and do what appears to be a serious rethink, leaving you and others who have not seen it waiting and wondering, and those of us who got it wishing we had never seen it. May I suggest a different name when the new one comes out, to remove the bad taste

Only time will tell at this point.  I have been assured at the highest levels that they are seriously working with this, although not some of the other issues I have raised, but I guess they do have to set priorities. I will wait, and continue to ask, but my motto is take the time and get it right next time.

Nice to be back.

Bruce (BS)

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Mybubbles65 wrote:

I got an email back in July saying my nextbox would automatically upgrade to the new Navigatr guide. It is now October and that has never happened. Why?  How to I get the upgrade?

Believe me (and almost everyone else who has posted here for the last 3 months - which will explain the WHY if you go back and read the posts) you DO NOT want Navigatr.

At present you'd probably have to provide paperwork from your doctor that you were certifiably insane to actually WANT to get Navigatr.  Or move to one of the "infected zones" that received it last July, where everyone is being driven insane having to deal with it on a daily basis.

park
I'm an Advisor

Thx BS.  I see are ever the OPTIMIST. 

ROGERS:  IT IS CLOSING IN ON 3 MONTHS !

YOU CABLE SERVICE WORKS FINE, NAVIGATR does NOT !!!

Please give us an out, an alternative, I want the old software back.

And, please answer the questrion I asked Roger's OMBUDSMAN on JULY 30.

KIM:

If a company just put a flawed product on the market (i.e. New NAVIGATR) , what is its obligation to remedy the situation?

In this case, simply rolling back software (which is still  running on the majority of its customers PVRs) is an obvious, low cost remedy sought by its cusotmers.

What recourse do its customers should the company not effect a remedy in an acceptrable timeframe

(i.e. a couple days)?

e.g. Can they walk from any contracts with the company?

lensman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@krap wrote:

Thx BS.  I see are ever the OPTIMIST. 

ROGERS:  IT IS CLOSING IN ON 3 MONTHS !

YOU CABLE SERVICE WORKS FINE, NAVIGATR does NOT !!!

Actually, I would argue that even the CABLE is not fine. For a few weeks now ROD has been bad,. Shows not loading, missing episodes, etc. It is just relentless.

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS  Good to see you back, Bruce.  Just in time for my goodbye TV post.

For the past two weeks, my two boxes have been getting worse and worse.  I am fairly certain that the problems are not because of Navigatr, although it makes it harder to identify the issue.

At the beginning of October, the box in the family room froze for no apparent reason.  Oct Oct 04, the bedroom box froze during a reboot.  On Oct 06, the family room box froze during DNLD.  Overnight on Oct 12-13, the record light stayed on all night on the family room box and the disk usage went up 10% before I noticed it.  I ended up with a 14 hour recording that I was able to play and delete.  On Oct 14, I had a set of 4 recordings where the content was shifted by half an hour.  Overnight on Oct 15-16, the bedroom box went into a loop rebooting every 3 minutes, necessitating a factory reset and losing all the recordings.  On Oct 18 at 10:01, the family room box rebooted itself and no recordings were done after that until another reboot next morning.  After that reboot, there was an undefined recording that hung the machine if I tried to play it.  Deleting it did not appear to work, but after another reboot it disappeared.  Last night, BOTH boxes recorded American Horror Story overnight and the record light was still on in the morning.  Again disk usage went from 50% to 60% on the family room box and from 20% to 30% on the bedroom box.  After reboots, it was still possible to play the recordings.  However the family room box began to reboot every hour, whether I was playing recordings or not, necessitating a factory reset and losing all the recordings on the second box.

I thought having two boxes gave me a degree of backup, but not when they both fail within a week of each other.

Last night, I noticed the record light still on at 3:00AM after recordings of the late night talk shows were over.  I muted the TV and powered up the bedroom box to try to figure out what was recording.  However, with Navigatr, it was not possible to find.  I went through the Scheduled tab in every tile.  I could not get the  PVR function to work in Chrome on the tablet, despite trying the "Request Desktop Site" work around, so I couldn't use it to look for the recording.

At 5:00 AM, my wife woke up and I was able to get up and reboot the bedroom box, and also go downstairs and check the family room box to find that it was doing the same thing.

October 21 was the 1 year anniversary of escalating to second level support my old problem of "insufficient resources" which also started right after a recording ran all night.

Since I was really annoyed by all this, I ended up being unable to sleep all night.  By morning my blood pressure was up and I was generally feeling awful.  That is when my better half made the decision that we are cancelling our cable TV subscription.  She feels that it is not worth risking my precarious health for the sake of watching TV with Rogers.  I have just been putting too much effort into nursing these boxes along.  I reported the issues to Rogers support this afternoon, and verified with Customer Service that there would be no extra charges when I cancelled.

Although I looked into Bell Fibe as an alternative, we are going to try to get by with Netflix and an antenna hooked up to my MythTV box for the local stations, as well as web video from the specialty channels.  I'll have to bump my Internet speed to handle the streaming, but it will still come in as a significant saving.

Since we are hoping that Rogers is putting significant effort into repairing Navigatr, it is doubtful that any work is being done to fix the underlying problems that have been going on for some time.  This is evidenced by my 1 year problem anniversary.

So since I won't have any TV service, there will be little to contribute to this forum.  Thanks to all who have helped me develop work-arounds to Navigatr, and those who have given me kudos for some of my posts. I wish you luck in the new year if the Navigatr release materializes in Q1.

Goodbye @roxandtreez

You make it 104,000 +1 that left Rogers cable in 2015 according to their latest financial report!

rgottinger

So where is this 'new' Navigator? It was announced in July. It is now October 22nd and my Nextbox 3.0 looks exactly the same as it did in July. Is this new version ever going to be available?

rgottinger

Sounds like outsourced development to a certain country to me.

Have a look at page 80 & 81 of this same thread for a few answers in that regard.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/80...

@rgottinger wrote:

So where is this 'new' Navigator? It was announced in July. It is now October 22nd and my Nextbox 3.0 looks exactly the same as it did in July. Is this new version ever going to be available?

I agree. 😉

@rgottinger and the rest of ROGERS dwindling base of CABLE customers deserve to see this exciting new piece of NAVIGATR.

Why should just us chosen few in Mississuaga and a few other remote villages be the only people who no longer can trust their PVRs to do anything beyond handling live TV ? 

PS:   This looks like a classic example of market overhang, usually brought out to slow down upstart competition that have a  new superior product.  But in this case, there there is no threat , just a very bad decision that I expect will soon be reversed.  See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_overhang