cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@roxandtreez I only get Canadian time shifted channels and half of those are only SD. And with the 8300 I have SARA not RTN, so double bonus. Smiley Very Happy

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @JonBoy49

@JonBoy49 wrote:

Just to give you a few plus points of Tivo:

1) Two weeks advance programming - not one.

2) You don't have to worry about the schedule too much - you can set up Wish List searches by actor, show title, etc. As soon as that show becomes available on any channel you reciev it will be scheduled. You can then set up a season pass (Series recording) if you wish.

3) You can slow down FF by pressing the rewind e.g. when in 3x FF you can slow down to 2X by pressing rewind once.

4) Deleted programs remain in a "Recently deleted" folder until space is needed so if you accidentally delete something you can recover it.

5) Tivo suggestions. Based on your viewing preferences ( and you thumbs up/down programs) Tivo will select and record programs it thinks you will like. Many of the programs I now watch regularly were discovered this way.

6) When they introduc a new interface the old one remains optionally available.

7) Optional remote with keyboard that simplifies searches

😎 Significantly better basic interface than anything I have seen from Rogers or Bell or Comcast or ....

I'm sure the minute I finish this I will come up with many many more but this gives you an idea.

Thanks for the list. Sounds like an improvement, but I can't get Cogeco here in Mississauga.

Bell (satellite, and probably FIBE) has 2 week programming, and I very rarely used fast-forward, because Bell has a +30 second button and a -10 second button, which are perfect for jumping past commercials. Also, in the ten years I had it, Bell didn't 'update' their user interface (without trying it, I can't comment on TIVO, but I like Bell's, and I'm picky) , and I'm not a big fan of having software 'suggest' things I might like, so Items 1, 3, 5 and 6 don't do much for me.

An optional keyboard interface would be useful, and I could see automatic programming notifications for favorite actors, titles, etc., being useful, provided the descriptions were sufficiently detailed and accurate (Bell's are good, Rogers' are awful, and with the tiles and tiny font, almost useless).

Makes you wonder why content providers want to be in the set-top box business...

Regards,

Mr. A

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh yes, and the CTRC (or some government interference) is 'protecting' the various telcos from actual competition, which is *why* I can't get Cogeco here...

Bah!

park
I'm an Advisor

Been back home for one day and already problems w Rogers/Navigatr

My other half played back one of the new season of  NCIS, recorded while we were away.

Deleted it after watching.... but guess what,  Nivikrap deleted the one we had not yet watched.

The new Daily Show did not record as there a is new host with his name on the end of the progam's name instead of Jon D.   (In the tiles you can't tell that as it only shows the front part of the program name).

Went to on Demand. The 1st NEW DAILY SHOW with new host was availble !!

Tried to play it, "ERROR OCCURED".

Noticed the text said it was available till Jan 2014.

Way to go Rogers, you can't even get ON-DEMAND right !!!

(Dunno how one can have a progam which 1st aired Sept 2015, be availalble till Jan 2014,

but anything is possible in Mr Rogers neighbourhood I guess, even PVR software which drives away loyal long-standing customers! )

OH yes..

Tried to watch the new Survivior 1st program on On-Demand.

Says it  won't fast forward and it does not, but it is also a tad sensitive about going backwards.

Half way through, I presssed "go back" twice in row. It sent me back to the begining of the show, with now way to get back to where I was in less than half-an-hour !

diron
I'm Here A Lot

Nothing in On Demand fast forwards more than 1 speed. Not sure why but I'm sure they have a good reason Man Very Happy

Well title Nextbox 3.0 still not upgraded to Navigatr Guide, still have the old guide, and i read that all updates should of been completed by end of August, well its October 2 and still waiting, is there anything i could do to get the update now?

Thanks.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I thought I saw someone say October 20, heard from a Rogers CSR, but those are all rumours. Rogers learned their lesson after the original "beta" rollout and won't be continuing until it's substantially fixed.  I don't have it, but from what I've been reading over the last few months, it's not something I'd want even if it's 100% fixed to work as intended. Be careful what you wish for.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@krap wrote:

Been back home for one day and already problems w Rogers/Navigatr

My other half played back one of the new season of  NCIS, recorded while we were away.

Deleted it after watching.... but guess what,  Nivikrap deleted the one we had not yet watched.

The new Daily Show did not record as there a is new host with his name on the end of the progam's name instead of Jon D.   (In the tiles you can't tell that as it only shows the front part of the program name).

Went to on Demand. The 1st NEW DAILY SHOW with new host was availble !!

Tried to play it, "ERROR OCCURED".

Noticed the text said it was available till Jan 2014.

Way to go Rogers, you can't even get ON-DEMAND right !!!

(Dunno how one can have a progam which 1st aired Sept 2015, be availalble till Jan 2014,

but anything is possible in Mr Rogers neighbourhood I guess, even PVR software which drives away loyal long-standing customers! )

OH yes..

Tried to watch the new Survivior 1st program on On-Demand.

Says it  won't fast forward and it does not, but it is also a tad sensitive about going backwards.

Half way through, I presssed "go back" twice in row. It sent me back to the begining of the show, with now way to get back to where I was in less than half-an-hour !

The missing Daily Show can be found/viewed here (for a limited time):

http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/video

As for the issue of On-Demand videos going back to the start when you try to rewind, that happens FAR too often and is yet ANOTHER PROBLEM ROGERS WON'T/CAN'T FIX. 

Yet another reason their cable service isn't worth what you pay for it (no matter how much you may be paying after discounts).    Smiley Mad

neilpalmer400

@MarkSangers wrote:

Well title Nextbox 3.0 still not upgraded to Navigatr Guide, still have the old guide, and i read that all updates should of been completed by end of August, well its October 2 and still waiting, is there anything i could do to get the update now?

Thanks.

Mark,

Being impatient to get Navigatr is like being impatient to get cancer.

WHY on earth would you want it ?

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

@MarkSangers wrote:

Thanks.

Mark,

Being impatient to get Navigatr is like being impatient to get cancer.

WHY on earth would you want it ?

Mark:

It's easy to get a taste of what we are suffering.

Go to any Rogers Store in the infected areas and ask for a live demo of Navigatr !

After you see it, you can save time by cancelling your service on the spot.

PS: Don't forget to take your boat anchor(s) (formerly known as  Nextboxes) with you!

JonBoy49
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@MarkSangers wrote:

Thanks.

Be grateful and do ABSOLUTELTY NOTHING to hasten the install of this appology for an upgrade. Even ignoring the unreliability (not recording, deleted scheduled recordings, etc. etc.) this is a downgrade.

I didn't think the old system was very good - but there is absolutley nothing in the new one that is worth having. Rogers apparently tried to make it look more "modern" and "sexy" and suceeded only in making the screens unreadable, the liklihood of accidentaly deleting unwatched recordings more likely, the interface confusing and inconsistent, and ... Well it is just horrible.  I'm sure there are a few masochists out there who like it but I'm certainly not one of them. 

JonBoy49
Just to add to the fun - Rogers apparently decided to rename the Daily Show for next week - so my scheduled recordings are showing up as "with Jon Stewart" - I am fully expecting the idiot system to realize its error and cancel those recordings - without of course replacing them with the correct ones!

It would be really comforting to hear that at least one person had been fired by Rogers for this mess.

neilpalmer400

@JonBoy49 wrote:
Just to add to the fun - Rogers apparently decided to rename the Daily Show for next week - so my scheduled recordings are showing up as "with Jon Stewart" - I am fully expecting the idiot system to realize its error and cancel those recordings - without of course replacing them with the correct ones!

It would be really comforting to hear that at least one person had been fired by Rogers for this mess.

Oh, you mean they PAID someone to create Navigatr?

I thought it was just some project to keep inmates occupied at an insane asylum.

JonBoy49

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

@JonBoy49 wrote:

Oh, you mean they PAID someone to create Navigatr?

I thought it was just some project to keep inmates occupied at an insane asylum.

Now that makes perfect sense Neil!!  The inmates are lonely and realized that if they drove enough Rogers customers crazy they would have more people to keep them company.  A stroke of genius really and makes far more sense than any explanation from Rogers to-date (but mostly becuase they haven't given any).

billmcintyre

Let me add my name to those who have been let down AGAIN by this unreliable box.  My NB3 (without the garburator Navigatr interface) has NOT been recording programs that WERE in my scheduled recordings list.

Of course, I've missed The Daily Show, as others have, but I've also had other programs not record, like CBC news.  I checked, and the program was on at the normal time.

I wonder if this is somehow related to the fact that my PVR was only showing Scheduled Recordings for 24 to 48 hours ahead of time for much of the last week.

It is now showing me programs set to record 7 days ahead - but this box STINKS.

tjeffreys
I've Been Here Awhile

There are lots of posts on design problems but feel the need to voice my own experience as I HATE IT. 

I watch primarily recorded shows and at the begining of a new season setup the PVR for all the shows I like to watch. With the prior version of the interface those schedules stayed in the system and I set it up for "NEW Episodes"  and all was well. With the new NAVIGATR that is not possible. I had to manual search the WEB for premier's and set up new schedules as the shows appeared in the guide. What a waste of time.  Then I am finding that on a lot of occassions I am getting multiply copies of the same show because it is picking up the same show on CBS and CTV for example, or from CBS in the EAST and again in the WEST. I cannot believe this product was tested in any form. I am also not able to specify as I could in the old verion the Channel I want to record on when multiple broadcasts are available. For one show it would only pick a non HD channel. I am wasting a lot of time and am fed up. Unless this is fixed by the time my contract ends, I will probably be moving to Bell. This is not a case of "bugs" or "growing pains" with new enhancements. This is the deployment of code that is a major step backward. 

Rogers, when are you going to fix these usability issues? 

thx 

derekg66
I Plan to Stick Around

Not liking what I am reading here. We have not been affected yet here in markham but I am stressing out thinking about the day when it happens. I will be leaving Rogers if I am not happy with this "improvement". We, as customers. are not naive. Don't tell us it is better and faster when it is clearly not. I run my own business. If our customer is not happy, we fix it. If not fixed to their satisfaction, they leave. I like my Nextbox 3.0 the way it works now - it rarely has issues - and though I can see where there can be improvements - it works reasonably well. This new Navigator is clearly a marketing decision that has backfired big time. It better work well or we are gone as a customer.

derekg66
I Plan to Stick Around

One more thing I wanted to mention. My Mother's Nextbox guide was updated to the new look a couple of months ago. She does not like it because she has trouble reading the guide now that the font has changed and the background colour is not a good contrast. Her eyesight is not the greatest (and neither is mine!). I believe the Government of Ontario has enacted new rules governing accessiblity. It is called the "Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)". If you go to their website, you will see there are new rules concerning readability and accessibility of websites, signage, print, etc. Perhaps someone needs to contact the AODA and bring this readability issue to their attention. If Rogers won't listen to their customers and keep them in the loop, then I guess the government will have to get involved (unfortunately).

Jack22
I Plan to Stick Around

HALLELUJAH - PRAISE SOMEONE !!!!    For the first time in weeks my Saturday night recordings actually recorded and I spent a lovely fall afternoon watching my murder mysteries.

However, one of the series stated it was the "Season 2 finale".  Would have been nice to see the first 5 episodes.  Oh, well - can only hope for re-runs.

Has anyone heard about any upgrades or corrections to this mess?   Rogers is so silent with no response whatsoever to our concerns, it makes me wonder if they are even listening or are we just venting to each other?  I cannot, try as I might, find out any information.

diron
I'm Here A Lot

I had a dream the other night. I dreamt that someone at Rogers that actually cared or had some influence wandered onto this forum (out of curiosity of course) only to discover that literaly hundreds, no, thousands - maybe even millions were totaly fed up with their Netbox product and were threatening to move to the competition. Realizing what this could mean to the future of Rogers, this person made it their new life goal, to apologize and to immediately move forward with a totaly new design - one that actual users would get to review before it was launched at the public. I think that's when I woke up and realized I had been dreaming.

neilpalmer400

@Jack22 wrote:

Has anyone heard about any upgrades or corrections to this mess?   Rogers is so silent with no response whatsoever to our concerns, it makes me wonder if they are even listening or are we just venting to each other?  I cannot, try as I might, find out any information.

The utter silence on Navigatr from Rogers management just shows what utter contempt they hold for their customers.

Well I can assure them, their customers feel the same way about them.