cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

JonBoy49
I'm a Reliable Contributor
"This is the same way it works on the previous RTN 5.1 version."

Didn't say it was a recent problem - just said I hated it. It seems to me to be poor design.

lensman

@ozham Wrote ".....I have managed to access PVR control om my Android tablet by login in on my PC computer and sending the url of the page to my tablet via email. The tablet is using Android Lollipop  software release."

Now that is interesting info. Will have to give that a try. Thanks. (How long before Rogers shuts THAT down?!)

JonBoy49
"Nothing speaks louder than attrition and lost revenue. "

Agreed 100% and I plan to do just that as I outlined yesterday. Sadly my choices are limited as the only competition in my area is satellite and I just don't want to go there.

P.S. How do you quote messages in this forum? Replying to the post doesn't work and I see nothing in the tools pull-down etc.

lensman

@JonBoy49 Wrote "P.S. How do you quote messages in this forum? Replying to the post doesn't work and I see nothing in the tools pull-down etc. "

Nothing simple, I'm afraid JonBoy, as is usual with Rogers. Copy the text you want to quote. Hit Reply. Hit the @ symbol and a bunch of usernames pop up. Click on the one you want. Now type and paste the text in.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

When you click Reply, there is a QUOTE button in the top right hand corner of the editor.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@OLDYELLR:

Thanks for pointing that out. I've wondered about it too.

lensman

@OLDYELLR wrote:

When you click Reply, there is a QUOTE button in the top right hand corner of the editor.

Thanks for that. I was sure I'd tried to use that before and nothing happened!

JonBoy49

@OLDYELLR wrote:

So there is!  How did I miss that.  Thanks.

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey @JonBoy49,

@JonBoy49 wrote:
"Nothing speaks louder than attrition and lost revenue. "

Agreed 100% and I plan to do just that as I outlined yesterday. Sadly my choices are limited as the only competition in my area is satellite and I just don't want to go there.

If the competition is Bell's satellite service, you could do worse -- that's what I had before (foolishly, as it turns out) switching to Rogers and having them foist Navigator on me.

I wasn't able to get FIBE when it came out, so I don't know if it uses the same PVR interface, but Bell's satellite interface is literally everything that Navigator is not -- big text, easily readable, logical, lists, smart enough to avoid recording something that's already in the PVR, etc., etc.

Best of all, they have a 30-second jump-ahead button, that's way better than trying to fast-forward through commercials. Jeez, I think I'm in love...

Because Bell's internet options suck, and they try to insist that you take their internet to get FIBE TV, I might very well go back to satellite. I had very few problems with it over the years -- occasionally a storm will interfere, but usually it's solid. And after all, I've still got the dish...

Regards,

Mr. A

p.s. - Loved you in the Waltons...

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@JonBoy49 wrote:
"This is the same way it works on the previous RTN 5.1 version."

Didn't say it was a recent problem - just said I hated it. It seems to me to be poor design.

Well, with RTN, but ESPECIALLY with Navigatr, there's certainly no shortage of poor design choices.

jays77

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

@JonBoy49 wrote:
One of the many things I hate about the NextBox is that you can't "slow down" the rate at which you fast forward. I keep pressing the rewind button to slow it down and (of course) it simply starts going backwards.

This is the same way it works on the previous RTN 5.1 version.

I have Nextbox 2 and the fast forward speed is dependent on the number of clicks (1 to 5) on the fast forward button.

neilpalmer400

@jays77 wrote:

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

@JonBoy49 wrote:
One of the many things I hate about the NextBox is that you can't "slow down" the rate at which you fast forward. I keep pressing the rewind button to slow it down and (of course) it simply starts going backwards.

This is the same way it works on the previous RTN 5.1 version.

I have Nextbox 2 and the fast forward speed is dependent on the number of clicks (1 to 5) on the fast forward button.

Yes, but once you have for example reached the fastest FF or REW speed you can't slow it down agan, other than going from FF or REW to Play or Stop or from FF to REW (or REW to FF).

JonBoy49

<snip> 

Because Bell's internet options suck, and they try to insist that you take their internet to get FIBE TV,

<snip>

p.s. - Loved you in the Waltons...

I am currently on a 12 month free-of-charge Bell internet service and am more than happy with it. Only use it as a backup and for streamining Netflix etc. but happy so far.

I have looked at the Bell PVR and while it is better than Rogers (even before the current fiasco) I still found it wanting. My problem is that 8+ years of using Tivo seem to have spoiled me for anything else.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

@jays77 wrote:

Yes, but once you have for example reached the fastest FF or REW speed you can't slow it down agan, other than going from FF or REW to Play or Stop or from FF to REW (or REW to FF).

Are you sure about that? On the 8300 there are 4 FF speeds and when you press FF again it cycles back to the slow speed, etc.

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @JonBoy49

@JonBoy49 wrote:

I am currently on a 12 month free-of-charge Bell internet service and am more than happy with it. Only use it as a backup and for streamining Netflix etc. but happy so far.

I have looked at the Bell PVR and while it is better than Rogers (even before the current fiasco) I still found it wanting. My problem is that 8+ years of using Tivo seem to have spoiled me for anything else.

So, if you have Bell internet, but you can't get FIBE TV, it must be DSL? Had that, but couldn't use it for Netflix - 10 Gb limit (also slow) without paying an arm and a leg for more data. The thing that sucks about Bell Internet isn't the service, it's the cost for what you get. For what I'm paying Rogers for 60 Mb/s and 300 Gb, I'd be getting 25/5 and 50 Gb, and of course there are potentially better deals out there.

Obviously, when I switched, Rogers was a better deal than Bell, but that was before Navigator made the savings not worth the aggravation. Maybe an antenna is the way to go, after all.

I'm curious -- who uses Tivo as their set-top box? If it has a better User Interface than Bell Satellite, I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but it sounds like I'd have to move to get it. Also, why wouldn't Rogers dump the Cisco boxes that are (apparently) causing all the problems instead of programming in an unusable interface? <Rhetorical questions, natch.>

I'm sure the CRTC isn't helping.

Regards,

Mr. A

neilpalmer400

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

@jays77 wrote:

Are you sure about that? On the 8300 there are 4 FF speeds and when you press FF again it cycles back to the slow speed, etc.

Yes I'm sure - on a 9865 with RTN 5.1

Hello again:

Have been away vactioning and out of touch for a couple weeks.

Looks like alot of comments in the past couple days:

Anything new from Rogers and/or their Ottawa based software supplier?

Any heads rolled ?

Any further apologes esp. from  Senior Mgmt?

Any software updates?

Any new areas forced to suffer what we "July 28thers" have ?

Anybody get rolled back to the old software ?

jinx8910
I Plan to Stick Around

Welcome back!

in a word ...... NO

JonBoy49

@Mister_A wrote:

Hi @JonBoy49

@JonBoy49 wrote:

I have looked at the Bell PVR and while it is better than Rogers (even before the current fiasco) I still found it

<SNIP> 

I'm curious -- who uses Tivo as their set-top box? If it has a better User Interface than Bell Satellite, I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but it sounds like I'd have to move to get it. Also, why wouldn't Rogers dump the Cisco boxes that are (apparently) causing all the problems instead of programming in an unusable interface? <Rhetorical questions, natch.>

I was a Tivo user long before they started selling them through Best Buy. In those days there was a special US zipcode that you entered to tell them you were actually in Canada. Used it in conjunction with Rogers cable.

When the announcement was made that Rogers were going digital I hoped that they would see sense (as they did apparently in some Eastern Canada Rogers locations) and allow the standard cable card to hook up to their system. But they decided not to allow that here in the Toronto area for some reason. I clung to my Tivo as long as I could but when Rogers nuked all of the anaolg channels I was watching I had no choice but to give up on Tivo and switch to Rogers PVR.

I don't think the CRTC comes into play - or Cogeco (available just 5 short miles from where I live) could not have switched to using Tivo as their primary PVR (see http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/tv/tivo_overview/)

Just to give you a few plus points of Tivo:

1) Two weeks advance programming - not one.

2) You don't have to worry about the schedule too much - you can set up Wish List searches by actor, show title, etc. As soon as that show becomes available on any channel you reciev it will be scheduled. You can then set up a season pass (Series recording) if you wish.

3) You can slow down FF by pressing the rewind e.g. when in 3x FF you can slow down to 2X by pressing rewind once.

4) Deleted programs remain in a "Recently deleted" folder until space is needed so if you accidentally delete something you can recover it.

5) Tivo suggestions. Based on your viewing preferences ( and you thumbs up/down programs) Tivo will select and record programs it thinks you will like. Many of the programs I now watch regularly were discovered this way.

6) When they introduc a new interface the old one remains optionally available.

7) Optional remote with keyboard that simplifies searches

😎 Significantly better basic interface than anything I have seen from Rogers or Bell or Comcast or ....

I'm sure the minute I finish this I will come up with many many more but this gives you an idea.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Wow, Tivo sounds fabulous! I see it will record only 6 shows at once. Frankly, I very seldom need to record 2 shows at once with my SA8300HD.  I know some people tried recording 8 shows with the Nextbox 3.0 in the beginning just to test it, but that's just marketing overkill because no sane person would need it.

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR  I probably wouldn't need 8 shows if the Guide and scheduling were working properly, but having to record the same show on 2 different channels to make sure you got one recorded is bumping up the number of concurrent recordings.  I have 5 at a time scheduled on a couple of days this week.  With Navigatr, I have to use the Manage PVR in order to check my recordings.

Silly me, when I got the 9865, I cancelled the package with the US western channels to save $10 a month, so I can only time shift Canadian channels.  Right now, I have 25 channels in my favourites which makes it pretty easy to run through the schedule on the 9865.  Since I am having to check the schedule twice a day to make sure recordings are not dropped, adding all the time-shifted channels would take longer and I would have to clean up even more duplicate recordings since I am using <any timeslot> to avoid problems with time changes in the guide.

Be grateful you are still on RTN.