New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonBoy49
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

I think I find the most annoying part to be that there has been zero response from Rogers. They know who had the "upgrade" doesn't even the most rudimentary of customer service protocols require at least an "I'm sorry" email?

About time the press picked up this story don't you think? Hundreds (thousands?) of customers hung out to dry with a useless and unreliable product?
OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@JonBoy49 wrote:
One of the many things I hate about the NextBox is that you can't "slow down" the rate at which you fast forward. I keep pressing the rewind button to slow it down and (of course) it simply starts going backwards.

Is this with Navigatr, or was it like that before with RTN as well?

With the 8300 and SARA software there are 4 FF and REW speeds, depending on how many times you push the button, plus, of course, the skip back button, which I think is 7 seconds. If these features were discarded with RTN or Navigatr, that's one more thing Rogers needs to fix.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
JonBoy49

I did not have the "old" version long enough to be sure - but I think the behaviour was the same.

Sorry - I was comparing the Rogers offering with a well designed DVR (Tivo) that I miss more with each passing day.
ozham
I Plan to Stick Around

A friend  was informed today at a Rogers store that a re-fresh of the software is coming in October. Great pity this has not appeared on this forum if it is true!..

I have managed to access PVR control om my Android tablet by login in on my PC computer and sending the url of the page to my tablet via email. The tablet is using Android Lollipop  software release.

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @JonBoy49,

I understand your frustration. Please note that we are actively monitoring this thread along with other threads and everyone's valuable feedback is being forwarded to higher management. We absolutely care about our customers and will continue to provide updates as we get them ourselves :). 

We apologize again for the inconveniences this has caused and thank you for your continued patience,

RogersHassam 

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

Here's what happened to me last night.

I had The Big Bang Theory scheduled on CTV at 7:30.  CTV had a commercial that said it was a new episode at a special time, but the Guide was showing the description of an old episode.  Just to be sure I got it, I scheduled the 8:00 show on CBS.  Both were scheduled <All Episodes><Any Timeslot> so I don't get caught out by time changes.  Both episodes were recorded and when I went to List, both episodes appeared in one tile.  I have never seen this before.  I thought the tiles represented a series, and that I would get two tiles, one for CTV and one for CBS.  When Navigatr first installed, even some shows I scheduled as a series were converted to stand-alone episodes, so I was surprised to see only one tile.

After I watched the episode, and it came time to delete, I noticed that the sort order was oldest to newest, with the 7:30 CTV episode listed first, followed by the 8:00 CBS episode. This is the opposite of the "normal" display, which is newest to oldest. I deleted one episode, and the screen just sat there.  I hit exit, and clicking the tile now shows only one episode left.  So the delete worked, but the screen did not update.  Deleting the second episode had the same thing happen, no update of the screen but hitting exit resulted in the tile moving because there were no more recorded episodes.

Next was Castle, which I also have scheduled as <All Episodes><Any Timeslot> on CTV.  CTV shows an old episode at 12:05 AM and the new episode at 10:00 PM.  This time, I got two tiles - the 10:00 show was a result of a series recording, and the second tile was a stand-alone recording.  Of course with Navigatr, you can't tell where it came from because stand-alone recordings do not display the channel or time recorded, but I assume it was the 12:05 recording.

So I recorded two separate series and got one tile, and recorded a single series at any time and got two tiles.  The inconsistency is amazing.

Looking ahead in the week, I again have previously scheduled series that are suddenly not scheduled for recording as well as series that don't show as scheduled but still are, because I get a duplicate series message if I try to re-schedule them.

The 9865 in the bedroom rebooted at 4:15 AM this morning, whereas the family room box rebooted at 4:05 AM the night before.  I always thought both boxes would reboot on the same night, but that was not the case.  As usual, the Rogers reboot did not observe the front panel display preferences, and I had to turn on the box and then turn it off in order to get the time to disappear because it is so bright it interferes with sleep.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I think these issues are coming to light because with the new season I am recording more shows and my disk usage is increasing.  Navigatr could handle one recording per hour, but now that there are 3-4 shows being recorded at the same time and more recordings because of using <Any Timeslot> there is more opportunity for errors to occur.  Making sure things get recorded has become drudgery.

And just to inject some humour into the Navigatr discussion,  the other night we were watching a recording and I was also on my laptop.  The remote was on the arm of my chair and as I was moving around,  the remote slipped off the arm of the chair and hit the side of my laptop.  The show we were watching stopped, and the channel switched to 769, which is "Adult 4U On Demand", asking for my id.  It was very hard to convince my better half that a dropped remote could accidentally hit 3 keystrokes.  As for the Navigatr part, the recording that we were watching did not save its place, so I had to fast forward through the recording to get back to where it was interrupted.

JonBoy49

Nice to hear that you are forwarding the feedback. Be even nicer if there was the slightest sign from Roger's management that anything was being done. Don't those of us suffering this at least deserve an apology?

Compared with other PVRs the original service was frankly pretty pathetic. This "update" makes it a good 50% worse. I just don't see how Rogers hope to hang on to customers with this kind of non-service.
OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers did issue an apology that was posted on the website.

"On July 28th, Rogers provided a software upgrade for our NextBoxTM set-top cable boxes to some of our customers in Ontario. As a result of human error, some customers with older PVRs may not be able to see their recorded shows. Furthermore, in some cases customers may be prompted for a PIN to access their guide.

We sincerely apologize to our customers for this inconvenience. As soon as we discovered this problem, we immediately stopped rolling out this upgrade to additional customers.

If you are having a problem with your PIN, you can reset it by logging into your MyRogersTM account or by calling Customer Care at 1 888 ROGERS1 (764-3771)

If you are having problems seeing your recordings on your PVR, please call Customer Care at 1 888 ROGERS1 (764-3771)."

JonBoy49

As a Community Expert you must surely realize that this particular apology is completely irrelevant. For one, I am not using old hardware, this is a brand new box. Second neither I nor anyone else I have seen have complained about PINs or "seeing" our recordings.

What we have been complaining about is a seriously broken piece of equipment that even Rogers must realize should _never_ have been unleashed on anyone.

To add insult to injury you then imply that an irrelevant apology that was issued TWO MONTHS ago should be good enough! Do you seriously believe this when Rogers have not contacted the individuals affected, have made no further statements, and are apparently doing little or nothing to fix this.

I'm sorry but that is just not good enough. We would never accept this sort of non-service from our banks, grocery stores, gas company or anybody else. Why do Rogers get a pass?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm not saying you should be content with that apology because it certainly doesn't compensate anyone for all the lost recordings and continued aggravation, I just repeated it in case you thought Rogers hadn't acknowleged the mess. Apologies are in fashion now. I hear they'll even stop your VW diesel from polluting.  Smiley Wink