New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

goodboyr - If you have not yet been 'downgraded' to Navigatr then consider yourself lucky. You would rather have a 4 root canals + tooth picks hammered under your finger nails that be 'downgraded' to this Navigatr system. There is absolutely nothing better about it. On the other hand, the list of negatives is endless as many very useful features have been removed & replaced with nothing.

It is very obvious that Rogers had no idea what they were doing when they rolled this out as their pre-roll out letter that I received was singing the praises of how thrilled everybody would be with Navigatr. They could not have been further from the truth.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@goodboyr Navigatr was sent out to just parts of Ontario, on, I believe, July 28.  But it was a DISASTER.  It erased the PVR's of many people, and there were other major problems with it - without even mentioning that I will bet you anything that you will HATE it.   It was obviously designed by morons who have never regularly used a PVR in their real lives, and things that used to take you 2 keystrokes to accomplish - now may take you 15 key presses, and many tasks are INCREDIBLY difficult.

NOBODY has stated that they like Navigatr - except a few executives who work for Rogers.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@goodboyr  Unless you are a real glutten for punishment, don't worry too much for when it is coming - the more we work with it in day to day life, the more of a mess and almost completely disfunctional it is in some ways (most significantly the PVR functioning).  So let them take their time, as long as it takes for them to get it right this time, since it is now clear from the previous research that they have taken on a completly new technology and tried to customize it to their own desires, and lay it on top of the key functioning parts of the box (tuning, PVR, playback, etc) you know, just being able to reliably watch your desired shows at the times you pick.  If you read through the posts and search the internet, you can see that they have clearly committed to the new Espial software stack based upon HTML5 and IPTV principles, as well as their implementation of RDK (reference design kit), and Espial contracts their profits based upon number of rollout copies of their licensed software to set top boxes.  

That is not to say that they couldn't rollback to the old RTN that still exists on your boxes and outside of the original rollout area, but I suspect that they are probably too committed financially and contractually, and now that Cisco has outsourced the UI development to a new company, they may not even be a player anymore. I know myself that sometimes that once you have committed to a new contract and implentation plan, it can be very costly and difficult to rollback, and with Cisco's decision, there may not actually be any rolling back because who supports it.

My own brother who has the old box in Toronto, just ran out his contracts for all of his services.  He asked to see my box and how it worked the last time he was here.  He said clearly, that if that roll that crap out to me, I will go back to Bell. He left only because he had a bad connection on his home phone which they couldn't resolve, but they now have full fibre services in place, and since his plan is over, they are trying to convince him to buy into new 2 year plans with cancellation fees for his existing services and wanting him to upgrade his phone.  He says, no intention to change anything, looking at getting a better price, and comparing options, but in his words, if that mess ends up at my home it is all gone the next day.  His tv is his life right now as he is widowed and alone and it is a key piece of entertainment, along with books and movies from the library, so he won't put up with it for a second.

So be patient, enjoy your current setup - I know it has problems too, but I can ensure you, that being patient with this mess is very challenging.

Take care, Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow! Thanks for the info. Glad I asked, and very glad its not here yet!
I've Been Around

Recording from 1969 - lol

So time travel is a perk of the navigatr 'upgrade'?

Highlighted

@billmcintyre wrote:

@goodboyr Navigatr was sent out to just parts of Ontario, on, I believe, July 28.  But it was a DISASTER.  It erased the PVR's of many people, and there were other major problems with it - without even mentioning that I will bet you anything that you will HATE it.   It was obviously designed by morons who have never regularly used a PVR in their real lives, and things that used to take you 2 keystrokes to accomplish - now may take you 15 key presses, and many tasks are INCREDIBLY difficult.

NOBODY has stated that they like Navigatr - except a few executives who work for Rogers.

So exactly why did Rogers think we would like this? My only conclusion was that in their utmost arrogance, it was not that they thought we would like this, but that they wanted to dictate to us that we would like this. Now they want to dictate to us that it is not going away!

Highlighted

@JohhnyRockets wrote:

So exactly why did Rogers think we would like this? My only conclusion was that in their utmost arrogance, it was not that they thought we would like this, but that they wanted to dictate to us that we would like this. Now they want to dictate to us that it is not going away!

Maybe Navigatr isn't going away, but Rogers customers are.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I used to be in these community forums for a long time a few years ago but got tired of them because there were "users" on this forum who really seemed to be disguised as Rogers employees, defending Rogers at all costs. I've read the last 2-3 pages of this, but don't see that defence of Rogers around this implementation of the new interface.

My question is a rather simple one. Can you reject the guide from coming to you and/or revert to the old one?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I wanted to add some more bugs to the list, this time relating to On Demand.

1) When reviewing the list of 'HD new this week' movies on TMN (and probably any other channel), the screen that lists the movies is missing information in three places:

"Press (blank) to browse this folder"

"(blank) To Go Back"

"(blank) Show Playlist"

(blank) literally means neither text nor icon.  Just empty space over the background graphic. 

2) We paused an on demand movie due to a phone call.  It was a long call, so the pause timed out.  The timeout screen now only gives you the options of cancel or play from start.  Pressing play does nothing.  Pressing pause does nothing. There is no resume option.  In order to resume, we had to cancel, go to saved videos, select the video, and then select resume.  We were relieved that the option was there, but it certainly should be in the pause timeout screen as well.

This looks the product of some sleep-deprived junior programmer overdosed on caffeine and pizza.  It blows my mind that this was actually released to customers.  

Highlighted

Hi @Spiritwood   Or Rogers employees who would TRY to disguise themselves as regular people posting on the board.  Now there are moderators 

The response to Navigatr has been SO UNIVERSALLY NEGATIVE - that if Rogers rolls it out to the rest of Ontario without making SIGNIFICANT changes to the user interface - then they are going to lose TENS of thousands of customers.  I've already called them and told them multiple times that I DO NOT want this virus infecting my PVR.  Their response?  You DON'T HAVE A CHOICE.  You can NOT refuse this abomination!

The only people who have tried to defend Navigatr are Rogers employees - who are paid to toe the company line.

The alternative?  You could switch to Bell, or cut the cord entirely, and get your TV shows off the internet - with (the American version of) Netflix, or some of the many other sources of TV program downloading.  And I've done A LOT of research on this because my PVR was barely working for 3 months - and Rogers had NO SOLUTION - other than doing a complete Factory Reset - which erases all your recorded programs, and scheduled recordings, and preferred channels.

I've read many articles about Rogers and Bell losing HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of customers over the last several years.  Times are changing.  With the internet you no longer HAVE TO get your TV through cable.  If Rogers doesn't wake up and realize this they are going to lose - big time.

I'm SO INCREDIBLY angry at Rogers that I may stand in front of their head office with a sign and get honks of approval all day from drivers passing by.   

Rogers had a reliable PVR years ago with the SA 8300, and then they introduced the not ready for use 8642, and then laughably slapped a name on it that was designed to advertise the box as some great thing - the Nextbox!  That box was obviously not tested nearly enough.  Mine was INCREDIBLY BUGGY and very underpowered CPU-wise.   That box was NOT ready to be inflicted on the public - but many people noted that Rogers was losing thousands of customers to Bell Fiber - so it's assumed that Rogers felt urgent pressure to come up with some strategy to reduce the exodus to Bell. 

But when Rogers moved from the 8300 to the NB  - they TOOK AWAY about 15 useful features.  And now - going to Navigatr - they TAKE AWAY lots more functionality.

One really has to wonder if there is at least one person in Rogers management who is INTENTIONALLY sabotaging their PVRs.   And if you think about it - Rogers LOSES money every time we skip commercials.  Why?  Multiple reasons.  Not only do they have contracts with program producers who get paid BECAUSE we watch commercials - and the program producers are 'in league' with Rogers in a 'conspiracy' to MAKE us watch commercials.  (Have you ever noticed how much HARDER it is to skip through programs on VOD?  And Rogers seems to keep gently pushing us and guiding us more and more towards VOD.)  So program producers have a nudge nudge wink wink agreement with Rogers to discourage us from skipping their commercials.

And not only that - Rogers is NOT just the conduit by which TV programs are delivered to us.  They are such a massive, overreaching oligarchy that they are now ALSO the program producers, and TV station owners, and owners of original content.  Rogers is SO EAGER TO OWN EVERYTHING that they now own magazines, and TV stations and radio stations and at least one huge sports team - and the stadium.  (And I recently noticed that Rogers was part of producing the show The Liquidator.)  So Rogers is now producing content, and making money from many, multiple revenue streams - and they make MORE money when we watch commercials.   With the sports that they now 'own' they make lots of money when we watch commercials on THEIR content.

And I get more and more angry when I realize there ARE good PVR's out there.  Again and again people post in these forums that the Rogers PVR's are THE WORST in existence.  You will cry with despair when you hear that Tivo had features 10 years ago that Rogers has not even gotten around to putting on their PVR's.  People who have used other PVRs describe Rogers PVRs as 'junk.'

I'm angry that Rogers pushes their own profits FAR MORE than our customer satisfaction.  It's been noted in these forums that Rogers keeps pushing new 'features' on their PVR - that are mostly designed to increase revenue for Rogers.  They've added VOD that is designed to make us pay more for 'extra' content - to make more profit for Rogers.  And they keep adding new 'flash' and whiz bang to the PVR - but they NEVER seem to get around to fixing bugs that have been around for YEARS.   And don't even get me started on the 'More Like This' 'feature.'

So - Spiritwood - you can't avoid the inevitable future infection with Navigatr.  But one other alternative is to buy a (used) SA 8300 box.  The old Scientific Atlanta box uses the older SARA interface - and those WON'T be infected with Navigatr.   (And if I had more money and a car I'd drive around Toronto and buy up all the existing used 8300's - because once Ontario goes all Navigatr - the 8300's will become MUCH more desirable - and I predict their price on the used market will DOUBLE.)