cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

@krap wrote:

Further to the topic of conspiracy and incompetence:

It looks like the new Navigatr is central to Rogers plans to combine Internet video, called OTT in the industry

(uTube, Netflix, Crackle etc) and traditional TV.

See:

http://www.espial.com/ceo-jaison-dolvane-imagine-park-2015/

Do the screen shots look familiar ?  Notice a few brief glimpses of SAVED in the menu...

...It a pity for Rogers that incompetence took over  in the worst PVR management since the VCR.

Duuno who did the PVR section, but it lools like the work of neophytes...

One might also surmise, that Rogers deliberately crippled the PVR functions.. but my guess is it just plain oversight and/or stupidiy...

Rogers:

To save the baby (looks like it has promise) you goota start over with hopefully a new team and replace the PVR section.

@park:

Good catch. In viewing the video, it's not obvious that the 'SAVED' items use a tiled interface, but I agree it's possible, and even likely, considering that's what the APP and ON DEMAND screens look like. The difference, of course, is that apps and on-demand titles have poster / graphics designed to advertise the app or show, whereas once you save something to your PVR, you're already 'sold', and what you now need is easy search -- JUST LIKE SEARCHING THROUGH A PROGRAM GUIDE!!!

If our upgrade had included a lightning-fast guide like they showed in the video, and equally fast (and separate) lists of recordings and shows set to record, we'd all be thrilled and delighted. But NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Having taken a quick look at the Espial website, I note that they also offer Professional Serivces (sic - as spelled on their website menu - good attention to detail, that) that specifically include:

"User Interface Design and Optimization – Customizations can be as simple as translating to your subscriber’s language or as in-depth as a uniquely designed user interface, in all cases Espial Experience can make your vision a reality. Once created, Espial can optimize your end-toend (sic) system to maximize performance."

So like most enterprise software platforms, the customer (Rogers in this case) can 'redesign' the user interface and customize it to their hearts' content, either hiring Espial, or some 3rd party, or even doing it themselves in-house. I'm sure this is part of the problem.

My experience with large companies who buy and customize their enterprise software, is that the task of designing the software is delegated to a team of know-it-alls and lightweights who don't actually have to use the software, and who therefore make interface (and programming) decisions that can easily render the software useless for its intended purpose.

When the company I worked for bought Oracle, which comes with a series of accounting and project management modules, it was considered too expensive to have Oracle make modifications to the system, so our geniuses decided they would do it themselves. A complete disaster.

Whether Rogers hired Espial directly, or just bought their software and then decided it would be cheaper to hire smaller / local / familiar / in-house programmers to do the actual design and coding, I see indications that the same thing happened here.

Regardless, Rogers could *easily* insist that the 3rd party fix whatever needs fixing (Tiles, anyone?), but before the roll-out some Rogers team 'approved' the software, so I'm sure Rogers will be on the hook for any additional cost.

Until there is a serious negative impact on Rogers' bottom line, I will take bets that nothing changes.

All the above does *not* change the fact that the Tiles Interface for the PVR section is in no way a requirement of IPTV, or the Espial software.

Lose the Tiles (TM)

Regards,

Mr. A

Mister_A
I Plan to Stick Around

Just thought I'd show the good folks at Rogers what shows up on my PVR when I want to play a movie. I can choose from "The Killer is L...", "The Great Man V...", "They Died With...", "Violets in Spri...", "The Gambler and...", "The Judge Steps...", or "The Whales of A...", among others. 

How do I decide?!?!?

IMG_2714s.jpg

Lessee... First I think I'll watch "The Gambler and the Media Company" and then maybe "The Judge Steps in It", followed by "The Whales of Anarchy". Classics one and all...

And yet there's so much space left in the tiles.

You know what? I bet if the tiles were WIDER and NOT SO TALL, say maybe full page width and one or two lines high, the complete title might fit, and there might even be room for things like the year the movie was made and the recording duration.

Yeah, that's the ticket -- one very short, very wide tile per line, and you could probably fit the same 12 tiles on the page, or maybe even more, say 15 or so. 

And the font could be bigger! Yes! I see it all now! Tiles are the way of the future! Just shorter, wider tiles!

Regards,

Mr. A

park
I'm an Advisor

We are discussing the following video :  http://www.espial.com/ceo-jaison-dolvane-imagine-park-2015/

and other material on the espial.com web site.

Good catch, Herr Krap. In viewing the video, it's not obvious that the 'SAVED' items use a tiled interface, but I agree it's possible, and even likely, considering that's what the APP and ON DEMAND screens look like.

If you look at a few of the other videos, it looks like Rogers NextNextBox  (NB9?, NB3v)  will have a fairly powerful graphic/video processor, able to do any number of things to graphic animated images without burdening the tiny cpu they put in these things. (Anyone recall sprites on the Amiga, circa 1985?). It looks like the current NB3 is limited to text and sick grey tiles at best. (Can anyone confirm if it has any graphics chip assist?).

My point re: SAVED is that this likely refers to RECORDED programming, not the hodge-podge currently in the tiles.

The difference, of course, is that apps and on-demand titles have poster / graphics designed to advertise the app or show, whereas once you save something to your PVR, you're already 'sold', and what you now need is easy search -- JUST LIKE SEARCHING THROUGH A PROGRAM GUIDE!!!

Excellent point. Why pretty them up with a fancy picture?  Save that "upgrade" for the future NB3v that can handle it.

If our upgrade had included a lightning-fast guide like they showed in the video, and equally fast (and separate) lists of recordings and shows set to record, we'd all be thrilled and delighted. But NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Or even if Rogers/Espial ordered things in the way I suggested a few posts ago. That is just a sort by date (most recent date if several in  a series). Oldest stuff goes to one end, futures at the other, NOW in the middle.

If we enter the list  at NOW, scheduled is in one direction and (most of) recorded in the other.

Having taken a quick look at the Espial website, I note that they also offer Professional Serivces (sic - as spelled on their website menu - good attention to detail, that) that specifically include:

"User Interface Design and Optimization – Customizations can be as simple as translating to your subscriber’s language or as in-depth as a uniquely designed user interface, in all cases Espial Experience can make your vision a reality. Once created, Espial can optimize your end-toend (sic) system to maximize performance."

So like most enterprise software platforms, the customer (Rogers in this case) can 'redesign' the user interface and customize it to their hearts' content, either hiring Espial, or some 3rd party, or even doing it themselves in-house. I'm sure this is part of the problem.

My guess is that Espial's unProfessional Serivces (sic) is the guilty party here, perhaps with a little lack-of-guidance from Rogers Product Mismanagement.  This guess is based on following 2011 article:

"Once Espial secures a service provider, like a Bell or Rogers or a smaller company, the service provider will add customers to pay for its services and videos on its devices. Espial gets paid every time one of their subscribers adds a customer, a set-top box, or any capability."

Reference: http://www.cusjc.ca/ottawainsight/?p=2336

So, Rogers does not pay until Espial delivers, and it gets paid $x per box infected. 

Also looks like the new interface is on the set-top boxes as well, not just the PVRS

So Espial won't starve, lots of set-top boxes, no pesky recordings to worry about.

(Just reminders)

My experience with large companies who buy and customize their enterprise software, is that the task of designing the software is delegated to a team of know-it-alls and lightweights who don't actually have to use the software, and who therefore make interface (and programming) decisions that can easily render the software useless for its intended purpose.

When the company I worked for bought Oracle, which comes with a series of accounting and project management modules, it was considered too expensive to have Oracle make modifications to the system, so our geniuses decided they would do it themselves. A complete disaster.

Whether Rogers hired Espial directly, or just bought their software and then decided it would be cheaper to hire smaller / local / familiar / in-house programmers to do the actual design and coding, I see indications that the same thing happened here.

Regardless, Rogers could *easily* insist that the 3rd party fix whatever needs fixing (Tiles, anyone?), but before the roll-out some Rogers team 'approved' the software, so I'm sure Rogers will be on the hook for any additional cost.

Until there is a serious negative impact on Rogers' bottom line, I will take bets that nothing changes.

Rogers will survive, but if it does not get this fixed correctly and quickly, Navigatr could have a big impact on Espial's credibility and likely its future viability. 

By correctly, we mean a PVR guide that is superior to the old one in the customer's eyes. Customer = the thing Espial calls the subscriber at the bottom of a diagram in the video. (WRONG NAME !  WRONG LOCATION !)

All the above does *not* change the fact that the Tiles Interface for the PVR section is in no way a requirement of IPTV, or the Espial software.

Lose the Tiles (TM)

Regards,

Mr. A

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, looks like Espial has a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/EspialGroup

park
I'm an Advisor

And they are hiring !

Looks like they are looking for plumbers (technical) when they should be hiring interior decorators (human factors) !

Then again, one hires plumbers when things are broken and/or the last plumber could not fix the problem !!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, here's an interesting article:  http://www.fiercecable.com/story/espial-looks-update-set-top-interfaces-g4/2015-05-04

"Already, one major North American cable operator has agreed to use the G4 to power its next-generation, all-IP platform." = Rogers ??

For interested individuals:   http://www.espial.com/

Here's a link to a report published by Maxfin Capital Inc:  http://www.globalmci.com/reports/espial-group--0912014.pdf

A few interesting lines from page two include;

MARKET PENETRATION| Espial has integrated its software with 10 tier-one service providers
(cable and telcos; NA Tier 1, SFR (Private), Vodafone (VOD-LN; Not Rated), Tele2 (TEL2'B-SK; Not
Rated), Telenor (TEL-OS; Not Rated), etc.) and is in discussions with 25 of the 60 global cable and telco
service providers. In the previous quarter, Professional Services revenue was up 846% y/y due to
integration work for a North American cable company and two proof-of-concept projects for customers
that are evaluating Espial’s IPTV solution as part of their next-generation TV offering.

ROGERS/SHAW NEW SHOWMI SERVICE| On August 26, 2014, Rogers Communications and
Shaw Communications announced the launch of a new video streaming platform (Showmi) to challenge
competitors such as Netflix. We believe the roll out of the Rogers-Shaw video streaming service should be
positive for Espial. Like Netflix, the service should be integrated through the Espial user interface.

DEAL ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE Y/E| At least one new Tier 1 cable/telco deal is expected to
be announced before year-end. We note that every incremental 2M subscribers adds license fees of
~$20M and ~$3M in recurring yearly maintenance revenue. We estimate that this would add ~$1.50 in
value to the stock price.

shan-man
I Plan to Stick Around

I just sent the following message to Espial via Facebook Messenger and via the Contact Us form on their web site. If this is their mess, then they need to see the feedback. If Rogers has broken their vision then they need to know how it's affecting their reputation.

---

Espial Group, are you responsible for the new Rogers Navigatr software? Are you aware of how much Rogers customers in the initial rollout hate it? Here's 81 pages worth:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/1/...

Your marketing videos show a super-snappy UI and yet Rogers has delivered a kludge with no end to the number of design flaws. The "tiles" layout alone for the PVR recordings section is enough to drive users to leave Rogers. Customers are dying to know who's responsible for this mess.

If this is your design, I highly recommend you read through this forum and think about the UI issues for your next revision. If it's Rogers that's destroyed your vision, you may wish to consider how their failure is affecting your reputation and perhaps pressure them to fix it. Just my 2 cents.

shan-man
I Plan to Stick Around

I tweeted Espial too:

.@espial please have a look at how much @RogersHelps customers hate #navigatr: http://t.co/wAwBGB0QGO

park
I'm an Advisor

HI @shan-man

You need not worry. 

Recent posts from 49 mins ago have already been ready over 80 times.

They (Rogers & Espial) have been tuned in to this channel fro quite a while.

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@krap wrote:

HI @shan-man

You need not worry. 

Recent posts from 49 mins ago have already been ready over 80 times.

They (Rogers & Espial) have been tuned in to this channel fro quite a while.

Except, of course, you can't trust the Views counter on Rogers Community Forum web pages.

Sit there and hit F5 to refresh your browser page and the count goes up.

I believe anyone with an ounce of intelligence codes these counters to NOT count multiple views from the same IP address.  Of course, not Rogers.

neilpalmer400

Good job -  put Espial to shame for this.  If nothing else they're guilty of proof reading the text on their web page about as well as they test their code.  I wonder if they're looking for a Senior Java Developer/Technical Lead because they threw the old one under the bus after the Navigatr disaster rolled out?

I noticed Espial is headquartered in Ottawa.

Notice who HASN'T yet got Navigatr rolled out to their city:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/412

Whatever happened to "eating your own dog food".  They should have asked Rogers to roll this out first in their own backyard.  Though I supposed they were worried the local villagers would storm their head office with torches, pitchforks, tar & feathers.

Also appears, from this 2008 article, that a Rogers employee jumped ship to Espial years ago:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=asVn43NcbxOU

You don't suppose he held a grudge against his former employer and has been secretly working away at Navigatr as an act of revenge?    Smiley Very Happy

NOW - of course these comments are based on the assumption that Espial had their fingers in this Navigatr pie and are therefore at least partly responsible for this mess.  If they can prove they aren't I will apologize, though not for the comment about them being unable to proof read their own web pages (amateurs) and if anyone at Rogers saw that it should have put up a red flag.

neilpalmer400

More Rogers links to Espial

(The smoking gun?)

In Settings/Troubleshooting/About/About the Software on my 9865:

"Featuring the ANT ( www.antplc.com ) Galio Browser : 3.1.5.24.04.09.11".

On this web page:

http://www.espial.com/espial/

"In 2013, Espial acquired ANT, a leader in HTML5 software and user experiences to add further depth to its STB client capabilities."

(Oh - and www.antplc.com redirects to www.espial.com ).

On this web page:

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/companyOfficers?symbol=ESP.TO

Michael LeeMr. Michael Lee is Independent Director of Espial Group Inc. Michael Lee is a General Partner for Rogers Venture Partners where he invests in early stage technology companies, with a focus on IoT, mobile, enterprise SaaS, and Digital Media. Prior to this, Michael served as Chief Strategy Officer for Rogers Communications where he was responsible for strategy development, business development, and strategic partner management for the Rogers Communications group of companies, which include Rogers Cable, Rogers Wireless and Rogers Media. Michael also held the roles of VP, Strategy and Development; and VP Product Management at Rogers Cable. Previous to joining Rogers, he was a founder-entrepreneur in two technology companies. Michael serves as a director of SecureKey, PayLiquid, ScribbleLive, Watchwith and Cognitive Networks.

Also an Espial link to Technicolor, who recently purchased the set top business from Cisco:

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/transactions/transactions.asp?ticker=ESP:CN

Espial Group, Inc. (TSX:ESP) acquired Bluestreak Technology, Inc. on June 23, 2015. The transaction includes the purchase of Bluestreak Technologies SAS, based in Paris and the operating assets in Montreal.

On this page:

http://www.bdc.ca/EN/bdc-capital/venture-capital/portfolio/Pages/bluestreak-technology.aspx

Bluestreak is the proven leader in software presentation solutions, commercially deployed in millions of TV- and video-centric embedded devices. The company’s award-winning MachBlue™ platform extends the rich graphics that Flash® and HTML5 are known for on the Web with the customization options necessary to overcome the unique constraints of set-top boxes, mobile phones, connected TVs, Blu-ray players and other consumer electronic devices. Bluestreak Technology powers the user interfaces and applications for many of today’s leading television and mobile companies, including Access, Bouygues Telecom, DivX, Mitsubishi, NDS, Orange, Pace, Panasonic, Qualcomm, SagemCom, Soft@Home, Technicolor and Time Warner Cable, Videotron, and Zon Multimedia.

Also here:

http://www.multichannel.com/news/next-tv/espial-buys-bluestreak/391722

With offices in Paris and Montreal, Bluestreak’s client list includes operators such as Canal+, Bouygues Telecom, Orange, Telefonica, Videotron and Time Warner Cable, and as well as  tech clients and OEM partners that span aioTV, Irdeto, Huawei, Cisco Systems, LG Electronics, Pace, Technicolor, and supports OTT video apps from a group that includes Netflix, Facebook, BBC and YouTube

Attila_
I Plan to Stick Around

So, I can finally log in to post this...

Espial sure seems like the software we got and we probably got their stock PVR functionality, which seems to try to copy the Netflix/Shome movie selection interface.

So now we know why the people who programmed this nonsense never actually used it in a real environment.

Cannot believe what a mess this new interface is: searching is rediculous, time shifting does not work, recorded programs are deleted, some recordings do not happen, deleted programs sometimes never delete, this is crap and there doesn't seem to be a fix.  

JonBoy49
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Completley agree. 

How could anyone in their right mind view this abortion of an interface as an improvement?

Just off the top of my head without thinking about it ...

1) Small fonts with no way to increase the size

2) When you have watched a program (or stop at the end) the highlighted episode is NOT the one you just watched so it is very easy to delete one you have not yet seen. Yup - did that twice and now am very cautious.

3) No way that I can see to undelete recent deletions

4) Still no wish list or any way to schedule recording of any program not in the pathetically short (7 day) advance list. If like me you travel a lot this is a major problem since even after 4 months Rogers _still_ cannot fix my remote access!

5) Page up/down (+/- keys) even more unevenly implemented than before.

6) Spontaneous reboots when using On-Demand if you follishly think that perhaps it missed the "select" action when nothing happens and do it again. I now wait 10 seconds or more between each button push to try and avid this.

7) On-demand and search options frequently unavailable.

😎 "Empty" records dated from years ago that have suddenly appeared and cannot be played or deleted.

I could go on and on and on ...

I used Tivo for many years until Rogers took away my acess and effetively forced me to buy into this abortion. I so wish that I could get Cogeco in my neighborhood becuase they have had the good sense to use Tivo boxes. Who knew - there is a cable company out there that cares about their customer's experience!  Sadly I'm about 5 miles from their service boundary.

The good news for me is that it appears that "cutting the wire" and using a Tivo over-the-air box coupled with Netflix etc. may be a better solution for me - just got to organize getting an antena installed. Then it will be bye-bye Rogers and this piece of garbage and a significant decrease in my monthly payments.

JonBoy49
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Amazing that this is supposedly professional software. It is so bad that I had been forced to assume that Rogers had two rather poor programmers working in their spare time in a basement somewhere.

neilpalmer400

@JonBoy49 wrote:

Amazing that this is supposedly professional software. It is so bad that I had been forced to assume that Rogers had two rather poor programmers working in their spare time in a basement somewhere.

They have TWO now ???   Smiley Very Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JonBoy49 wrote:

4) ... If like me you travel a lot this is a major problem since even after 4 months Rogers _still_ cannot fix my remote access!

As an FYI, Rogers Web-based AnyPlace is working again as of a couple of days ago.  It no longer functions in the same way as before and is much simpler and quicker to use.  Simply go to the webpage link below, click on "Manage PVR" near the top of the page in the red banner to the right of "Kids Zone".  Then login. If you select "remember me" all of this should only be one click away after bookmarking/using the link below:

http://www.rogersondemand.com/

If you cannot see "Manage PVR" in the red bar, then try the following:

- Login to Rogers before clicking on the link above

- Make sure you have JavaScript enabled

- If you still can't see it, delete Rogers cookies from your browser.

- Try a different browser/computer.

- Make sure Pop-ups are not disabled

- You should be able to see your Rogers' username at the top of the page - if you don't sign out, it'll remember you for next time and you only need to click on "Manage PVR" and it'll bring up the guide, PVR(s), etc.

- If you can't see your PVR(s) after several attempts at using AnyPlace, say over a two day period, do a reboot of the PVR(s)

Sometimes it may not bring up the guide for some people due to system delays, but it should work most of the time, as it did before Rogers removed the functionality almost five months ago.  Remember also that if you're travelling, the system is often down for maintenance in the early morning hours Eastern Time.

WhyDidYouDoThis
I Plan to Stick Around

Mister A - I just read your comment earlier this week about the tiles, how hard they are to manage & what could be done to make them more user friendly. The funny thing about your comment is that if they were to bring back the features that Navigatr removed your tile issues would go away & pretty well what you suggest is what we would get back.

We used to be able to hit List 1x & then see a complete list of all our recorded programs, in various orders, with all the required data for each. Also if we hit List 2x we would then be able to see all our scheduled recordings, once again in various orders, with the required data for each. Unfortunately the brainiacs at Rogers decided that we didn't need anything this user friendly so they had Navigatr remove both these features & replace them with nothing.

Also, we used to be able to hit list 1x when a recordnig was taking place & immediately see what was being recorded. Once again, Navigatr removed this & replaced it with nothing.

I can hardly wait for the next 'improvement' that the brainiacs at Rogers inflict upon us.

The crazy thing is that the on-line web browser version "Rogers PVR" works much better than the New Navigatr .

You can "manage your PVR" easily by accessing lists of scheduled or recorded programs.

Sort them by date or title.

No stupid tiles.

You can actually search and get the program(s) you are looking for - not just what Rogers wants to sell you.

You cannot see or edit what series are scheduled. This is a very serious problem because once you set up a series to record there is no way of getting rid of it, unless it happens to be recording something in the next 7 days. Nuts!

But all in all it is very usable compared to the ridiculous new Nextbox downgrade.

Shhhh - don't tell anyone at Rogers about this - they might "update it".

And -

Too bad the Android version of Rogers Anyplace TV Home edition is still not working - after 10 months !!!!

After 10 months it's hard to believe Rogers is even trying to get that back up.

Shameful

neilpalmer400

@57 wrote:

http://www.rogersondemand.com/

If you cannot see "Manage PVR" in the red bar, then try the following:

- Login to Rogers before clicking on the link above

- Make sure you have JavaScript enabled

- If you still can't see it, delete Rogers cookies from your browser.

- Try a different browser/computer.

- Make sure Pop-ups are not disabled

- You should be able to see your Rogers' username at the top of the page - if you don't sign out, it'll remember you for next time and you only need to click on "Manage PVR" and it'll bring up the guide, PVR(s), etc.

- If you can't see your PVR(s) after several attempts at using AnyPlace, say over a two day period, do a reboot of the PVR(s)

This is the same login problem since Rogers (finally) implemented "deep linking" on their "new" web site last week, where the applications (like Community Forums) sometimes don't seem to recognize you are actually logged in, forcing you to sign out (go to rogers.com and Sign-out then Sign-In again).  That is discussed in this forum topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/MyRogersSupport/page/1/thread-id...