cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

With a SA8300HD I still have the original "*" search function. It's not always 100% reliaqble and misses stuff.  You mean the Navigatr search function ie worse?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

park
I'm an Advisor

@Hcoates wrote:

You are right about the previous search function.  However with Navigatr when you search you may get partial results or no results. I tested it using two and a half men which was in the guide on many channels at various times. My search gave me no results.  So you can't rely on the search function. 

Or perhaps Naivkrap is just showing extremely good judgement/taste about Charlie Sheen 😉

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

As others have said, you will get only partial lists of your search and will not get a complete list of all shows coming in the same day in different time slots, time shifted stations, or other networks, possibly also on other days.

Yes, it did provide this full list before and we often used this list when we realized that a show that was part way through, we wanted to watch it a second time, we would search and if we could find it, would set up the future recording.

If you go to http://o.canada.com/ you can get full listings for all your shows based upon the cable or tv provider of your choice, even digital over the air if you are using that.

You will then have to go back to the menu on the box and find the show listing and set up the recording for it.

Amazing that an external company that has the full listings can provide a more complete full search than the new navigatr function can.  We have certainly been marketed that the search function is new and improved.  Don't think so. New yes, improved, no. Incomplete to the point of being useless - yes.

Just an alternative way for people to find their listings since we can't get them from the box.  I certainly am not going to go searching, line by line through 999 channels, and different dates and times to find another showing time and channel.

Well, someday, maybe this will all be fixed. But not during the implementation of the new season please.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you are having troubles remembering how the old interface worked, check out this you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xokwvZidWA

And you will see that in a search, you did get a list of all the showings of your chosen show.  

But give an example that the new interface will also do the same (just haven't realized it was there - if you search blue bloods for example, there will be a tile come up - click inside the tile and you will see all the shows inside the box, but it will take you some time to work through it. Plus in my example I just did, you will find that it does not show that the show is on 6 different stations at 10 tonight, nor does it show that it is on again on the 5th, on two stations.  Found this out from Entertainment - TV listings.  Go figure.

Bruce

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi Everybody.

I thought I would pass along to you all what I've heard from the Rogers tech help people over the last few days.  I've been in touch with them a lot because if a problem I've had with my PVR about not being able to play recordings (a problem described in another post in this forum about 'having to constantly reboot your PVR to play recordings.')  According to one tech person, Navigatr 'should' fix that specific playback problem.

Another tech person told me that Navigatr is NOT Rogers choice, but the choice of the company Rogers has contracted with to write the PVR interface.  And apparently, there were 5 major bugs with the download of Navigatr sent out to PART of ontario on July 28.  Those have apparently been fixed (in an update sent out to those specific areas), but there will NOT be significant changes to the way Navigatr looks and 'feels' when it is sent out to the rest of Ontario.  And the rest of us may get Navigatr - MAYBE in a month or so.  (but take that ESTIMATE with a grain of salt.  Apparently, the tech support phone agents have not been told WHEN the rollout of Navigatr to the rest of us victims will occur.)  So DON'T take that date as any sure thing.  It's a total guess by ONE Rogers tech person.

And again, to copy someone who said it so well, 'when our PVR's become INFECTED with Navigatr.'  Smiley Happy

dxh44
I've Been Here Awhile
  • i dont' have the New Navigatr Guide yet.  how do I get it

neilpalmer400

If they told the reps when they were going to roll out Navigatr to infect the rest of the province everyone would book off vacation or sick time - leaving Rogers Executives to fill in on the phone lines.  That would be Karma.  Smiley Very Happy

billmcintyre

@dxh44  Trust me - dxh - you DON'T want the new Navigatr guide.  But it will be rolled out to the rest of NB2 and NB3 PVR's in Ontario in the near future.  And when your PVR is infected with this virus - remember - I told you so.

@neilpalmer400  Neil - funny you mention that - the tech I spoke to said they went on vacation July 29th!

WhyDidYouDoThis
I Plan to Stick Around

dxh44 - Like billmacintyre already told you, you DO NOT want the new Navigatr system. It is 25 big steps backwards. There is absolutely nothing good about it that you would want. Instead a lot of very useful features that you now have would be gone.

dxh44
I've Been Here Awhile
so how do we stop it?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Apparently there is no stopping it. It's out of Rogers' hands and being developed by Cisco, the box manufacturer.  All Rogers can do is report required fixes and ride the tsunami.  The set top box division of Cisco was recently sold to Paris-based Technicolor, making it even more complicated, because contracts would have been frozen and locked in as a condition of the sale. When Rogers says they can't roll back the onslaught of Navigatr, it's because they have no control over it.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

JohhnyRockets

@dxh44

Based on everything I have read, Navigatr does not appear to be going away. I have been following this whole escapade since the first rollout back on July 28. Rogers reps both here and on Facebook have stated very clearly that Navigatr is here to stay - though nowhere do they actually provide us loyal customers with an explanation as to the WHY. This is the question everyone wants answered but for the most start we are not getting one. I think there is a clue based on @billmcintyre post above "that Navigatr is NOT Rogers choice, but the choice of the company Rogers has contracted with to write the PVR interface."

Further speculation about the new Navigatr guide was also provided on the Digital Home page. The poster noted the following. "That company would be Cisco. It's probably part of the deal with Technicolor.  Gutting of products and company resources often accompany business acquisitions. There may be some encumbrance on the old guide software, such as a licensing deal or pending legal issue, that Technicolor does not want to be saddled with. The end result is that customers get screwed so that Cisco and Technicolor can improve their bottom lines." I think he may have something there.

It is interesting to note that the sale of the customer-premises equipment business by Cisco to Paris-based Technicolor was announced in the same month that Navigatr was scheduled to begin the roll-out! 

iris42
I Plan to Stick Around
Glad to see "passing the buck" is still alive and well!

JohhnyRockets

@iris42 I doubt there is a poster on this thread who would not be happy to see the demise of Navigatr. You are correct though. We contract for our services through Rogers - not Cisco or Technicolor. Rogers is ultimately responsible for the services that we receive (and pay for). Rogers should therefore be responsible for making things right!

Lash
I Plan to Stick Around

With NB3 and NAVIGATR widely acknowledged fails, what are peoples' best guesses for what may lie in the future? Rogers is silent. Individual reassurances made months ago have not been honoured. They're bleeding customers. Does anyone believe they have actual, competent programmers working on the software? Do you think there is another generation of digital box on the horizon?

JohnnyRockets - You are spot on with your comment. We could care less if Rogers out source their programming. We buy the services from Rogers, so Rogers is responsible to make sure that we are getting the best value for our $.

As I have already posted, I have yet to find anything in Navigatr that is an improvement over the old  system yet the list of negatives is endless. It is very obvious that whoever did the programming for  Navigatr has no diea what they are doing & should be fired. It is also very obvious that nobody in Rogers made sure that it was sampled & tested thoroughly before inflicting it on us, the users who pay their wages.

Just wanted to add to the existing majority that hate the new Navigatr.  Looking forward to someone I can make a complaint to officially.

gregneff
I Plan to Stick Around

I am skeptical about Rogers pointing the finger at anyone else, or it being a Cisco issue.  The reason for my skepticism is that I can't find (via Google) any similar outrage over screwed up Cisco PVR software for any other cable company.  Yes it's possible that Rogers was the first Cisco customer to publicly release the new software, but I doubt that Cisco would pick a Canadian customer (Rogers) for a first release.  I could be wrong, but it's up to Rogers to clarify and explain why they are subjecting their customers to this mess.

We had our condo board meeting, and we are now discussing the Rogers bulk cable contract renewal.  I made it clear that I am not happy with Rogers, and that as a Board member I'm finding it very hard to bring myself to subject the owners to this going forward.  We are exploring our options.

Jack22
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I thought I had lived through all of the things the new Nextbox Navigatr had thrown at us.

Today I recorded a slew of programs to watch this evening.  I even double checked them before we went out this afternoon.  Can you imagine having to do that - but with this piece of junk you have to.

Sat down after dinner and guess what?  Nothing there.  Furious to say the least.

Went downstairs and discovered that the programs only recorded on the tv where the "master box" is located and all of the satellites received nothing!

What the HECK (I had to edit this myself before the lovely moderator did it for me)????

Moderator - how can I get these programs up onto the satellites?

clammydog
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had enough of this crap.

The only thing Rogers understands is money. The only way things will change is if people start cancelling their sevices in droves. You can get upset, complain all you want, even threaten. But that doesn't make any difference because Rogers is still making money from you. You want to make a difference?  Cancel your Rogers TV service then watch how fast things change.

I'm now looking at other TV viewing options. I found serveral companies online that for a one time fee will setup up a OTA system as well as online streaming service. I doubt the mod's will allow me to post the links but Google is your best friend.

Enough is enough.

-clammydog
I'm NOT a Rogers employee, my comments are my own.

park
I'm an Advisor

Wonder if Rogers is still using us as lab-rats?

Rogers please review and respond to this problem.

On the NB3 that Rogers swapped, saw that COAS T was to be on @ 8 PM tonite.

So I selected it off the guide and set it to record.  A bit later I decided to record the series.

Found it in the pile-of-tiles and tried to modify. After I clicked on record series and did the awkward exit,

It IGNORED WHAT I ASKED IT TO DO.  Tried a couple times more, no dice.

Checked the diag pages, that machine was rebooted on SEPT 1.

Tried the same on my other NB3. first select record once. Then set up as a series.

It did as I asked.  COAST was set as a series with one episode scheduled.

That machine was last rebooted on Aug 25 around the time Rogers did an unannounced download here in Mississauga.

So why the different behaviours ?  Is Rogers fiddling with things and testing it out on us ?

Or did I get a flakey machine when they swaped out machines ?

Already had to do a factory reset and wipe everthingout on per Rogers request to fix another issue.

Before you ask both NB3 show the same version #s of all the software.