cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

You don't want the nextbox 3 navigatr. It is a total piece of crap.  Our nextbox 3 is doing what it sounds like yours is doing. It reboots on its own many times a day. Seems to be mostly when watching a recorded program and another  program starts to record. Have tried many cold boots with no success at fixing the problem. Don't want to do a factory reset as we would lose a lot of recordings.  We already lost a bunch of recordings on a nextbox 2 when they rolled out this very inferior guide and user interface. It is very hard to use and is so much worse than the previous one. The stupid boxes instead of lists are a real pain to use. It is very hard to find out what is scheduled to record and what is recorded. The lack of being able to sort the stupid boxes alphabetically and have the setting stay is really stupid. There does not seem to be any redeeming features in this crap called navigatr. I hope they smarten up and roll this back to the last guide and User Interface.

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Neil:  Most people won't remember, but back with SARA on the SA 8300 box - you COULD operate the playback controls while you were IN the TV listings.  I found this useful - because I spend 20 to 30 minutes looking through the TV listings every day - and, when possible, I like to multitask - so I would usually watch a shallow, uncomplicated TV show at the same time that I'd be surfing the TV Guide - and during that time there will be at least one commerial I will want to skip - and occasionally, I will want to devote all my attention to looking reading a show description, or looking up more info on a show on my computer (on IMDB) - but I wouldn't want to lose my place in the TV listings (especially when there are 1,000 channels) - so I would pause what I was watching, and concentrate on my computer - and I could keep the TV listings on the screen - but with Rtn, I can't do that.  I have to keep jumping out of the TV listings to pause or resume playing a recorded program. 

This is just one of about 15 useful features SARA had that RTN doesn't - and Navagatr seems to be taking EVEN MORE FEATURES AWAY from us.

A slightly paranoid person may start to ask if Rogers is INTENTIONALLY crippling it's PVR's.  Rogers makes money when we watch commercials and live TV.  They make more profit if we are (subltly) steered towards watching more live TV, rather than recorded programs.

Or maybe they have employees or managers who are too incompetent to produce a reliable, well designed PVR.  Or maybe their managers don't care about us.  If they have a choice between our satisfiction OR their greater profit - what will they choose?

But all this just reminds me of MORE things that Rogers does that peeves me to the max.  I haven't heard anybody else complain about it - but 6 months ago or so - Rogers splattered the TV channel listings with 2 dozen On Demand channels - and they made it IMPOSSIBLE to HIDE those channels.  I'm TIRED of having to page down past dozens of channels that I'LL NEVER WATCH - AND DON'T WANT TO SEE IN MY TV LISTINGS.

And also - a year or two ago - Rogers changed TV program listings from a company that provided accurate competent descriptions that INCLUDED the actors starring on movies - and they gave us dishonest 'advertising' movie listings that were all about tempting customers to watch more movies on VOD because the listings were clearly designed to pull people into watching the movie by describing total trash movies as 'riotously funny' and amazingly eye-rollingly awful descriptions such as 'you'll be arrested for laughing so loud at this hilarious laugh-fest' or something like that.  Some of you may recall reading similar fraudulent glowing reviews of truly pathetic movies.

So what I'm getting at is just how annoying it is when Rogers chooses to change their product in a fashion that makes them MORE money - rather than making there service BETTER.

@James1986 wrote:
I do not own any home phone services with rogers. I have T.V (V.I.P), wireless and internet

THx @James1986you have the prefect solution to the problem.

When the phone rings, you can pause or mute or do whatever you want with the TV.

I wonder how those us with a Rogers phone can get the same flexibility you do ?

Hmmm....  I wonder how...

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@billmcintyre  I haven't seen the "feature" you describe where the pvr goes back to the beginning when you go to call listings, I have seensomething similiar when doing other tasks of moving between the PVR recording and other functions (sorry can't remember it, just know what I have to do).

But interesting and annoying workaround when it happens to me. When I come out of the PVR function and go elsewhere to another function, when I return to the PVR recorded show, where it shows watch, not resume;

Then go back out of the PVR show to the same function I was going to, and then back to PVR and low and behold, the Resume option is back.  For fun, I tried then to go out again, low and behold, I am back to the beginning with Watch, but no resume, go out and back in and it is back to having the resume or watch options again.  I could replicate this over and over again.

In programming pseudo code - here is what I think is going on - If  playback show from PVR is paused, save current location in showing.

Then go to the chosen option outside the PVR functionality, and then when return to PVR showing, ignore saved position, and return to watch show from beginning display options.

If you then choose to fast forward, a new position will be set.

If you enter the show at the beginning, then if you exit out again, when you return, the system detects the saved view point and offers the resume function.

And since it is not consistent, it is most likely related to some conflicting code, or temporary code stored in memory not being deleted, or not being saved into permanent memory.  When it is at that level, you are now up to hardware and machine code and memory storage issues, and an undropped piece of temporary code seems to be the most logical reason why these bugs are inconsistent and not always replicable.  These are some of the most difficult coding issues to debug at times. It is often pure luck and hours of trial and error to find those ones.  Maybe this is why it is proving to be such a complex task to get it right in the first place and trying to fix it and roll it out.  Reset to factory settings, like a reinstall of Windows, is often the only way out of conflicting code that has been added in over time, and one by one, these conflicts build up on each other until you reach the point where tons of things are going wrong.

Something definitely wrong in the implementation of code logic on that one.  Love to see the missing or poorly written if then statements in there that causes it to loop back and forth through two different views of the current paused show.

I tried replicating your situation tonight and couldn't get it to do it, but I also can't replicate what I described above, but it definitely has happened to me various times.  I just put up with it and don't report everyone I see when they happen, because it begins to drive me over the deep end.

And just to add one other bad programming, poor testing, stupid programming or design, poor testing (don't know which step in what is a very rigerous process in order to get it all correct in the end), I notice that once again, unsuscribed shows were showing on my menu - that is a neat one too.  I was looking at some stations on the upper end and there were some greyed out ones, click on Filter channels, show subscribed only and they are gone.  But at some point they will return.  I do like the fact that if you choose pay per view filter, you see the shows and the cost per show listed.  See there are some things I do like.

There is something seriously wrong in the programming of the box to deal with saved options and settings and some settings as we know that don't even work.  I like Bill have said this over and over, but it because we here nothing back, and maybe, maybe, if we keep repeating it, someone will move on all this.  I hear they are, but as a user, we are asked to be patient.  As Bill said, hard to be patient when you are confronted by these unpredictable things yet once again.  My wife was going ballistic today (she doesn't do it often - gentle ballistic I will admit), because a show she had set up to record was being recorded.  I advised her that she basically needs to look at her advanced recordings each day and make sure they are still there as set up, and keep track to see if it happened.  She caught this one 5 minutes in.

Another advantage of IPTV - yes time shifting is basically unnessary, or recording is not always necessary unless you want to keep it for a while because you can go back 14 days and get a show to play.  That is Bell's selling point, and if Rogers is going IPTV, then just tell us. I have said it before, but Cisco designed these boxes to facilitate the transition from QAM unidirectional streaming of live TV to IPTV, dual direction, on demand viewing of live tv that is stored on video servers on demand.  Have to wonder, did Rogers try to do this one on their own or with some company that claimed they could do it, since this whole division has been sold by Cisco - It is not that Cisco is dropping IPTV, they are just going back to what they do best - the infrastructure, routers, transmission protocols, server farms, QoS and so forth, and working with the new company who will handle set boxes.  I suspect either a rushed job on Cisco's part, or the new company during the transition, or a third party job led to this whole mess.  Just analyzing what I believe has happened based upon my knowledge of the industry, the current state of Cisco, and the timing of this whole situation.  Even the 8 channel recording feature is out of the typical scope of the Cisco 9800 boxes which are 6 QAM and 2 IPTV.

But just think, if we go IPTV, no need for time shifting in the true sense in terms of time zones, no concern about a show recording late or ending the recording early, and hey, you can even do Facebook, Twitter and other apps.  Probably why there is a whole drive to put the remote onto tablets and phones.  Imagine doing that on a standard remote.  And who knows where the delay on putting the whole management and remote features back on the PC.    Just my continued theorizing, in absence of any clear message from Rogers. All we know is they are working on it and are listening to all of our concerns.  In the FAQ's, there is even vague reference to the things that are not working and that they aim to improve it.

As I final thought, I would love (as a programmer, designer, and tester over the years) to see the protocols, in particular for testing.  A thorough testing requires people to have protocols to test every feature in the full feature set of the device, inputs and outputs.  To do a full testing, each feasable task needs to be tested, even those that were not intended to be changed.  I still hold my ground on the belief that there could not have been a full testing protocol, or there wouldn't be so many of us having similiar problems.  It is not reasonable that the testers could have run into these unless, possibly they were working from clean out of the box devices, with fully tested and installed upgrades from factory reset. This is not what users have in front of them.  Our boxes have a history of storage, setting configurations, etc, but I guess they did actually test the users boxes with all the different uses and configuration (we did it and it didn't work out well).  Please don't ever do that to us again.  Get volunteer testers,  certainly many of us have volunteered willingly.

So I hope that they are moving along with wherever they are going with this implementation, and that we those with the crippled boxes will see a move to truly make our viewing pleasure easy, better, and more efficient.  It is none of those right now for sure.

Have a good night every body.

Bruce

User2014
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers must have someone that understands this new UI enough to fix it. Seriously   I am being driven insane by the UI sending me back to the "most recent episode" rather than the THE ONE I JUST FINISHED WATCHING AND WANT TO DELETE.  

Oh - another fun development.   The red dot has disappeared from the infamous "tile" display  The dot  only shows up inside the "scheduled" tab - inside the tile.   

Please fix this UI 

neilpalmer400

@User2014 wrote:

Rogers must have someone that understands this new UI enough to fix it. Seriously   I am being driven insane by the UI sending me back to the "most recent episode" rather than the THE ONE I JUST FINISHED WATCHING AND WANT TO DELETE.  

Oh - another fun development.   The red dot has disappeared from the infamous "tile" display  The dot  only shows up inside the "scheduled" tab - inside the tile.   

Please fix this UI 

I think a mercy killing would be a more appropriate solution.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

The following suggestion is a minor one, but I think for the ease and convience of the user, it is critical.

It is the topic of consistency in how features are accessed from the remote.

Before I mention them, imagine if when you walked through your house, the hot and cold water were on different sides in each room and sometimes you push up some times down to turn on. Or if your light switches, in one room you push up to turn on, and down to turn on in another room, and even worse, if three switches in the same room were all programmed differently.  You would gradually go a bit crazy as you try to figure it out and once you did, noone who visits would understand.

There are many of these inconsistencies in the UI controls. I will highlight just one.

The use of a button as a toggle button push once to turn on a feature, push again, to turn off.  Versus, push once to turn on, and push exit to turn off.

To highlight, let me walk through my current viewing of a movie on TMN on demand.

Push info - does nothing, but with live tv, it provides info - this one is an awkward one, you have to stop the playing of the on demand show, then push cancel, you will see the information, you wil now see the information on the movie, you can then select the saved video and go back into it playing where you left off.

One way of doing things.

Next push menu, it brings up the menu, push menu again, it toggles off. push on, push off.  This is called toggling, like an old toggle switch - our light switches are toggle switches.

You could also hit exit and it will leave the menu.

Guide is the same way, toggle on, toggle off, or exit button.

Settings is push to turn on, exit to off, no toggle available.

Push D for weather, to turn on, no toggle off available, use exit button.

So you can begin to see that it is a bit of a trial and error process - toggle on and toggle off is the most efficient method and intuitive as that is how we have being doing these things for years. We don't have a turn on key and turn off key and exit key for our car starter. We have one key, toggle on, toggle off, light switches and taps as I mentioned before, stop lights are a three cycle toggle switch, and there are many more.  But at a minimum, keep it consistent throughout.

This is a basic design problem for programmers - decide on a common interface and keep it consistent - it is not just a matter of getting used to change, that is not the problem, it is the lack of consistency that drives us nuts, so like the switches in our house, if our electricians wanted to do a sick joke, then wire each switch differently.  They would drive the owner nuts and then never would they be referred to other customers again.

This is not actually a last implemenation design item, it is actually a first step item.  Most of our old design used toggles, so why change it?

Just some thoughts as I hope that the programmers are well into doing the "bug" fixes and interface changes and I hope they have addressed the consistency problem.  In my experience, it is often forgotten, because different teams work on different modules and if they aren't working from standard design UI protocols that were given to each team, then each one will do what they know and prefer.  That is why it is done first, to keep all teams consistent.

Mods - I know the programming teams may already know this, but please pass on to the relevant teams.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS re. push/push toggling vs. push/exit, for a long time Rogers has had 2 levels in these functions, where the second push takes you to a deeper level. I have that with the Settings button on my 8300. And you'll remember back when Rogers introduced a new feature where the Guide button first took you to a new menu page that everybody hated so much and complained until Rogers relented and let you switch the order to give us the Guide on the first push and that menu on the second push, with Exit taking you out in either case.  That's back when Rogers listened to customer feedback, not like now with Navigatr.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Continuing on my theme of testing, user functionality discussions. I am done complaining, I just want to move on and get a product I can live with.

If we are staying with the tiles, - consider having two views, one for scheduled recordings, one for recordings, so that we can find them easily.  They are two different things for a user - when they want to confirm series or future recordings, they want to see that whole information available, if they want to watch a show or see if it got recorded, they want to see all their.  Consider adding a filter - filter for scheduled, scheduled for recorded.  There is already a data flag in there somewhere telling the interface to seperate all two into the left or right side inside the tile, as well as the red dot and new flags - These could also be filtered for or sorted because the data flags already exist in there somewhere.

On sort for scheduled programs, display all tiles that contain a scheduled program and show only those, sorted by alphabetic, chrono, and the other sort features that used to exist.

Would prefer the old list - could it be programmed to show list or tile on user choice.  The programming code for lists already exists in the older versions, you just need to write into the new one.  If the programmers have done standard programming change models, at this point, they will have just commented out the lines of code that aren't being used, so you just need to put them in two modules and have an option to choose.  If not, then copy and paste the code from the old versions, and put it in the new versions - best of both worlds.

But staying with the point if programming decision is to stay with tiles, please design the tiles using standard recommended protocols - recommended best background and font colour - see the white on white issues, grey on black for volume and other similiar issues, and yes I know you have said you will address font size, and if tiles can't handle full font size, try to avoid chopping off text of the titles - scroll them, and if tiles can't support this, put the information under the tile rather than on the tile in an information box - maybe pull it up using the info button - or you may need to reconsider use of tiles.

But I was focussing if we are remaining on tiles, yes, do consider how you will handle the font issue, and the sorting and filtering of scheduled versus recorded.  

Further, scroll left to right, at end, return to left and then right - standard reading behaviour and navigation behaviour in all books and electronic programming.  Include a return to beginning, go to end, and page up and page down.  Think of the basic keyboard curser keys for movement - they are designed that way for a reason.  A little more limited I know with a remote, so there may need to be some creative thinking for end, beginning, and may not be available, but up and down exists, so make use of it.

Consistency in the use of the ok, select button - there are inconsistencies in that one too, but can't think of where at this moment, but look at the whole interface and remote and design consistent actions of the use of buttons.

I know there are others, but I am providing you the standard design and programming protocols.

And when you give to testers, preferrably bring in common, not highly trained or educated on the model users (they typical user - with all their idiosynchracies of their setting options) and see what happens on a volunteer group.  Consider developing a way (for future maybe) of being able to backup and move data to a new box - it can be kept indexed and encrypted for privacy, copyright and security.  Companies do this all the time on servers and desktops.  A back up of windows can be fully encrypted and indexed in order for moving from one computer to the other.  It just needs to be designed.  A future design option to be considered.  If you eventually go IPTV, this is less of an issue, because there is little need for PVR's when shows are on demand from the video servers, but that is still a way up the road, so for now, let's make the current cable model of one to many users as efficient as possible.

These are only a few of the raised issues, but some suggestions on how to approach the programming side of things and design decisions, depending upon how far in they are.

And consider making some users a part of the design of functionality and UI design consistencies in the future. You may have.  And lastly, take every feature that has been reprogramming and test these for bugs and consistencies and user ease (that is the marketed goal, so it should always be one of your metrics of success).

Oh, one last one, check through every area of settings and ensure that they are saved and remain saved.  If there are reasons where it may be lost, like a set box reboot/reset, return to factory reset, make these clear and obvious in documentation.

And as many tutorials, videos, written documentation, warnings as possible before implemenation on all feature sets of the changes.  At a minimum, just post the changed featured sets, and over time, integrate it into one common manual.

Lots of work, yes I know, but programming is a long and tedious process, extremely brain intensive and the reason why project leaders do not stick their hands in the day to day work because they can stand back and review each module change based upon the desired metrics and design and testing protocols.

Have fun the programming team.  I know where you are, it is hard work, but rewarding work when you finally get it right and your users (the customers) are excited and happy (another important set of metrics).

Not expecting any changes soon, because this is not a small change and there are a lot of issues to deal with.  I don't expect that it can all be done in one pass and some decisions may be made to leave some requests for last, or completely dropped because of future decisions of where you are going, but do keep us educated and informed.  An informed customer is generally a satisfied customer. Sure some may not like it, but as someone said, you cannot make everybody happy all of the time, but your aim should always be to get as close to that as possible given the business parameters of time, money, future directions, changing technology, but always remember, if you don't satisfy the majority of the customers, you may not have any customers at the end of the day.  Just the reality of business.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR  I do recall those options you spoke of.  I didn't mention the three switch/multi switch toggle, but you are right, there were wonderful three toggle options, and sometimes four as the fourth exited you out. There is one at least in there - if you have favourite channels, first toggle of the guide gives full guide, second gives favourites menu, then it just toggles back and forth between those two menus. You now have to use exit to get out. Confusing somewhat - if you have favourites, you have to use exit, if you don't have favourites, you can toggle out. 

Speaking of favourites, I may be wrong, but didn't pushing the favourites button allow you to set the current station as a favourite?  The whole setting option of selecting all your favourites, I find very odd. I set my favourites as I identify them. I don't know in advance what are my favourites, because I often don't even know what channel number they are on.

Also the select all channels as favourites is somewhat odd.  All channels as favourites - really? If you do this, you will toggle back and forth through to guide scenes - the regular guide - all channels with filters in place (if they were saved), and the favourites guide.  I guess you could use the first view as your filtered choice, and the all channels as favourites as a way to see all channels and not touch your filter. Works, but doesn't make sense to me. The other thing you can do with the all channels choice, is if you have favourites and you want to get rid of all of them, select all channels once, you get all channels as favourites, then select a second time and you now have no favourites and only one guide to look at and you can now toggle out.  Confused yet? I am.

I do remember having the option of chosing what the guide did first (been a while), but we chose the new option as first but at least we had choice.  There can always be choice, in particular, as I mentioned, if the UI programming was already there, and they put in a new one, toggling back or choosing a setting to go to this one first is always possible, because the code just sits in an object (object oriented programming), or module, and one is active memory on the one choice, and the other is sitting stored waiting to be pulled into memory.  As with all programming it takes time start to finish, as you have to make sure that the modules work fully with all other features, and sometimes in changing the UI programming, you change the program calls and it becomes very complicated to get the two things working together, but it can be done with the will, the time, and the money.  I think they do listen, I just think their choices may not be what we are asking for - Our metrics of success may be different - our view of listening is that they hear us, acknowledge it, then eventually make accommodation for our request. Their metric may be, we heard you, we may acknowledge you directly, or vaguely (our choice), and we may choose to disregard (as is always the right of the company and programmers - it may be just too much work and money and not a priority), but communicate to the people who asked and let them know the decision.  If we were specific in our requests, be specific, not vague in the acknowledge of what the decision is.  My mood is somewhat better at the moment. A month without having to call customer service about errors on my bill  helps (will see on the next one, hoping it will be correct) me to be a little more patient and understanding them I have been.  But we each deal with these things in the way that satisfies us best, and that is the benefit and joy of being in a free country. But we have the right to speak and expectation to be listened to, but others have the right to disagree, to not listen, and not answer if they so choose.  Not good business and customer relations practice, but I will figure out where they stand.

I have come the conclusion that we will be given only very vague responses on the status of all this information we have put forward, and I will just have to learn to live with it, or just move on, or possibly go to a different model of communications. Cable, or even IPTV with Bell are only two options, but there are many other options too, like live TV over the Internet, buying series that I like to see on Blue Ray (cost may not be any greater and I may actually watch my choice tv and spend more time with family and life instead - a good thing in itself), Netflix, Sony, and many other excellent on demand IPTV services currently out there. As well as Digital tv over the air.

Time to call it a day.  Take care everybody.

Bruce

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS@OLDYELLR

I am finding that after a month on Navigatr, I forget how the previous version worked.  It is lucky we have some contributors still on the old version to remind us.

Regarding the tiles, my first DVR was a Lite-on that I bought over 10 years ago at Costco.  It uses a "tile" organization for recordings.  You get 6 tiles per page and you can go the the next page with the cursor key or skip to a specific page.  It does not have any fancy sorting or grouping capabilites, but a couple of nice features are that it lets you specify the title (so you can add season/episode numbers) and it allows you to pick a single frame to display as the tile, so you can use the program title as the thumbnail and see what a recording is without reading the text.  The text is displayed below the image, so there was no issue with visibility by superimposing text on the image.  It is still working fine, and until I got a second Nextbox, I used it to record the late night talk shows in the bedroom to watch wile falling asleep.  I didn't need HD for that requirement.

If you are going to use tiles, then the tile should represent something that the customer is familiar with.  In this case, the tile represents an HD recording of a television show or a folder of multiple recordings of a series.  Logic would say that if a tile represents an HD recording, then it should be a 16x9 landscape tile.  This would solve a couple of problems.  There is more room to display the title or program description in the tile.  I worked out that you can display 4 landscape tiles across the screen and display 2 rows of tiles.  This would mean displaying 8 full tiles, as opposed to the 7 in portrait mode.  

Using the arrows (with wrap around) would allow navigating through the displayed tiles.  Page up/down would give you the next block of 8 tiles.  Paging through the tiles would be much faster.

There has been much discussion about why the tiles are even there, combined with a desire to roll them back.  It was suggested that the tiles are there for some future revenue benefit to Rogers.  The portrait shape is an indicator that this may be the case.  Historically, movie advertising has been in a poster shape and is in a portrait orientation.  If you look at IMDB for an example, you will see that it is organized as a series of poster shapes.  Similarly for Amazon movies, the Kindle store or Kobo, books and movies are displayed in portrait mode because that is how advertising has traditionally been done. If the main purpose of the tiles is to help sell "More Like This", then the tile orientation makes sense.

Similarly, if/when Rogers moves to IPTV, there will be a change to how the available shows will be displayed.  The live TV guide may still be shown as it is for live TV streaming, but if there is no  longer any need to "record" a program in order to view it at your leisure, then there may be a different mode of displaying shows to choose from.  This might be organized like "On Demand" or possibly like Shomi or Netflix, which I don't use so I can't comment on their layouts.

Maybe with IPTV, you will choose shows that you are interested in (favourites) and they will be displayed for you with the List button.  The tile will show you what shows you are interested in, how many episodes of the show are available, whether any new episodes have been added.  In other words, it would look much like the current Navigatr tiles.  Unfortunately the current Navigatr tiles are not well suited to a traditional PVR function, but there would be less development required to switch to an IPTV format and customers who had grown accustomed to the tiles would have less trouble adapting.

This is all speculation, and although we would like open communication with Rogers about why Navigatr is designed the way it is and what the evolution will be, I am sure Rogers will cite "trade secrets" as a reason for not revealing any of this.  Not that the competitors will have any problem guessing where Rogers is heading,  since I am sure they have people smarter than me working on gather industry intelligence.

I have been looking forward to @theClubHopper's views on this before posting, but wanted to get my thoughts down while they are still fresh in my mind.

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been away from home for the last three weeks but still following all the chatter about Navigatr during my absence; needless to say, I was very concerned with what I'd find when I returned home! Would all my recordings be deleted? Did anything scheduled to record actually record? Did Navigatr blow up my house?

I'm happy to report that everything is operating as it should be - no recordings deleted, all scheduled recordings intact; I was even able to remotely schedule a few recordings using the Home Edition app on my Samsung tablet and they were a success!

I can't say that Navigatr has enhanced my TV experience - the UI still drives me crazy and some things simply don't make sense - but I'll settle for the most basic functions remaining in working order.

I guess if you set your expectations low enough, someone is bound to meet them!! Smiley Happy

jays77
Probably shouldn't chime in as my 8642 HD-PVR box hasn't been infected yet, but here I go anyway. One important feature for those who are limited to two recording at a time or one recording + live TV, is the ability to see at a glance is if there are any timing conflicts for scheduled recordings.

billmcintyre

@jays77   Infected. Smiley Happy  You've been 'upgraded.'  For your TV viewing enjoyment.

@roxandtreez wrote:

I am finding that after a month on Navigatr, I forget how the previous version worked.  It is lucky we have some contributors still on the old version to remind us.

Regarding the tiles, my first DVR was a Lite-on that I bought over 10 years ago at Costco.  It uses a "tile" organization for recordings...... <snip>

Which reminds me:

How did we Canadians let Rogers take us  from you could buy your own DVR in the analog TV days

to you can only use a ROGERS box in the Digital Cable days?  How did they get away with it ?

In England it looks one can buy a wide variety of different DVRs. 

Seems to true in the US as well.

e.g. An Amazon listing for a Tivo Roamio Box

• Record 4 shows at once (4 tuners)
  • Up to 75 HD / 500 SD hours recording capacity (500GB)
  • Works with digital cable, Verizon FIOS or HD antenna
  • Built in wireless networking
  • Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Spotify and more

Maybe it time for Rogers to follow Cisco's lead and to exit the PVR/set-top buisness,

a business it does not understand (.e. the busness of placing the customer 1st)

RogersStrick
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@roxandtreez wrote:

{Thank you for the information.  Many have wondered if Rogers has a complete list of the issues with Navigatr.  Also, if you are preparing enhancements/corrections, we would like to know what will be included in each release.  I have assembled what I consider to be a complete list of issues from the Comunity Forum, Digital Home and Facebook.  I have grouped them as Problems - features which do not work, and Design Choices - features that many customers feel were not the best decision to meet customer needs.  Can you or the development team identify which of these issues are under development for resolution in the next release?   Thanks for your help.}

@roxandtreez Your feedback was detailed and well thought out, I sent it directly to the product management team as is.

I did look into your request for more details, the updates I have provided in the past contain the maximum amount of details that could be provided in an effort to keep Rogers customers informed of any changes and the progress with Navigatr.

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor
@RogersStrick: Thanks for you attention. I know that others have forwarded the list to the Office of the President and to an outside group seeking action. Hopefully one of these attempts will result in you being able to release more information.

Matbe this should be taken up with the CRTC.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Since we still have no idea in terms of implentation of future changes, I would like to flag that starting next week we go into the new season premiers and new show premiers.

A glance over the premiers shows me that I am going to be using the PVR a lot to meet the needs of my family. Every day has at least two shows, and up to four that we want to watch.  Beyond our preferred shows from last year, there are a lot of new shows coming and this is one of the fullest season for us for desired watching.

So I ask that the implementation team be very careful not to impact the carefully planned viewing times and PVR recordings and viewing capabilities of the recordings.

And advance notice of the changes and implementation is critical so that we can catch up on our viewing of recorded shows.

Some will be available on demand, but that is a very unpredictable process depending upon how many shows the network puts up and how long they keep it there.

So, please, please, please, test this one to death.  It is bad enough that we are going to have to double check and triple check to see that our series recordings and individual recordings are operating properly, be aware when we have one that was not recorded, so we go looking for on-demand or a network viewing online, or a different showing time, and then their is the joy of finding the series recordings, individual recordings of probably about 14 stations based upon what we want to watch.  I can live with that, but if a failed upgrade comes into the mix, that will be the last straw.

So take your time, don't rush it, we are living with the mess in the first rollout district, and the other districts don't have to deal with it at all.  Let us enjoy our tv watching and PVR recording - that is what we paid for, predictable, consistant, and reliable services.  Whatever your ultimate plan is, hold off until we get out of the new season runs.  There will never be a good time for things to go wrong, but not right now.

Please pass this request onto the development team.  

Bruce

User2014
I Plan to Stick Around

Speaking of the new season coming, I bet we all plan to do a lot of PVR'ing soon. 

And so, a question:

in the Search function (*), am I incorrect to remember that in the old system, when you searched something, the right hand side of the screen would fill up with all the times, channels, descriptions and dates that any episode of that show would be airing for next week (and also showing which ones were HD or VOD)? This was often two or three screens of data.

This seems to have been lost in the "upgrade".  Now I just get one (or no)  future airings - not the complete range of times that I remember. 

Or am I mis-rembering the detailed results of the former Search function?

Hcoates
I Plan to Stick Around

You are right about the previous search function.  However with Navigatr when you search you may get partial results or no results. I tested it using two and a half men which was in the guide on many channels at various times. My search gave me no results.  So you can't rely on the search function.