cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Or as others have said, at least tell us why you are so determined to keep going into the direction you have chosen. 

Many theories have been put forward on this board and other boards and on Facebook. Personally, I think it is the desire/need to move to IPTV - the boxes were designed by Cisco with that very end in mind.  Bell and other IPTV are using Microsoft products for their implementation around the world. Did Cisco get out of the business as we have been told by some in the know because they realized they were going down the wrong track of moving from QAM to IPTV switching and transmission protocols.

Recommended shows are also more related to the user's true usage patterns, not tied to a single show following a simple algorithm that seems to be heavly biased towards the choice of paid shows. Watching an on demand tv series from Global which had the whole season six there (Rookie Blue), the recommended shows were always from Shomi, why not recommend some from the free on-demand rather than making me go back to the ondemand menus and chose the next show.  Again, these features all work better on IPTV.

So just tell us what is going on.

ot_man
I Plan to Stick Around

I haven't seen this mentioned yet  (or I could of missed it)..... but has anyone noticed since the new Navigatr was downloaded, the call display function no longer works on NB2 boxes.  And if you have a NB3, its basically white lettering displayed over what you happen to be watching at the time.  So if you happen to be watching something with a lot of white, you can't see the call info.

Also, when I go into the call logs, it is blank.

In case anyone is asking, I've rebooted my NB 2s and 3s at least twice before posting this.

park
I'm an Advisor

@ot_man wrote:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet  (or I could of missed it)..... but has anyone noticed since the new Navigatr was downloaded, the call display function no longer works on NB2 boxes.  And if you have a NB3, its basically white lettering displayed over what you happen to be watching at the time.  So if you happen to be watching something with a lot of white, you can't see the call info.

In case anyone is asking, I've rebooted my NB 2s and 3s at least twice before posting this.

Just checked: Yes on my NB3 The incoming call does display as a white overlay, and hard to see over a light bkgd. Channel 975 call logs are filled in. Noticed that if you just rebooted it is blank, and takes a  while to reload that info.. 

But won't be problem soon if you get my drift..

@RogersHassam wrote:

@park,

The factory reset is done as follows but unfortunately it deletes all the recordings and anything you have set to record including your settings. If you've already watched your recorded content and would like to try this, see below. 

How to Perform Factory Reset:

Ø  Press Settings

Ø  Select Troubleshooting

Ø  Select Diagnostics

Ø  Select Restore Factory Settings

Ø  Select Restore

Ø  Enter PIN (0000)

Thanks,

RogersHassam 

It worked this AM.

Watched our programs, then did as above.

Got the red dot back.

Thanks.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

All that for a little red dot. Smiley Happy  Ahh for the old simple lists, sometimes the old ways, really are just better.Smiley Wink

namb
I've Been Around

Please bring back the old Netbox guide. I called to see if the old system could be put back on my Netbox and was told no.

This new system is horrible, lost recordings, difficult to navigate. Please listen to all of the complaints and revert back to the prior system. 

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @park,

Glad it worked for you! Thanks for sharing. 

RogersHassam 

park
I'm an Advisor

@krap wrote:

@ot_man wrote:

Just checked: Yes on my NB3 The incoming call does display as a white overlay, and hard to see over a light bkgd. Channel 975 call logs are filled in. Noticed that if you just rebooted it is blank, and takes a  while to reload that info.. 

Hello  @ot_man.  An update for you:

On the NB3 that I factory reseted earlier today, the incoming call display looks great, framed w a black bkgd etc.

much like it like it did with the old guide.  Still white on the other NB3.  

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@park but can you pause what you're watching to answer the phone?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

bmacdon618
I've Been Around

Agree 100%. The worst software upgrade I've ever seen. Even worse than Windows Vista!

They must have had the same guys who did that one working on this one.

James1986
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been waiting like many others, for my nextbox update. I have not received any updates and I would like to note I have heard the new update is terrible? I have to admit the nextbox 3.0 software is terrible, and Rogers does not care. As for my question, why does my nextbox 3.0 reboot many times, and never download any new software? I have been recording programs and the Nextbox will reboot out of nowhere?

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

In answer, can you pause when a phone call comes in - not until the banner and options for the call disappear. Once the banner for the app disappears, you have control of the tv again. But not hundred percent sure. Never been an issue - most of my calls are telemarketers, so I push the A very fast. Smiley Happy

Bruce

James1986
I've Been Here Awhile
I do not own any home phone services with rogers. I have T.V (V.I.P), wireless and internet

James1986
I've Been Here Awhile

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

In answer, can you pause when a phone call comes in - not until the banner and options for the call disappear. Once the banner for the app disappears, you have control of the tv again. But not hundred percent sure. Never been an issue - most of my calls are telemarketers, so I push the A very fast. Smiley Happy

Bruce

Okay, I was just wondering because I seem to recall you couldn't pause what you were watching pre-Navigatr, so the call didplay wasn't as useful, but I could be wrong. How about getting rid of the banner with the Exit button and then pausing? (I have neither a Rogers home phone, a Nextbox or Navigatr.)

ot_man
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi krap.  Thanks for the update.

Yeah I am not going to do a factory reset on my NB3.  Its probably just telemarketers calling me.  Smiley Very Happy  Besides, I still have my old reliable DECT 6 cordless phone that tells me who is calling.   That and I still have  a few days worth of recordings I still need to watch.

Side note...and I admit it is partially my fault... when I go to channel 975 on my NB3, I see the call log.  I went back to my NB2s and still no numbers were listed.  I  looked a little more carefully at my TV screen and it actually said on the bottom of the screen  "Not registered" and that I had to call Rogers.  Hmm... an update that accidentally wiped some of my settings....say it isn't so.

Just out of interest my NB2 says its still running Software Version 5.2.0.0230, UI version 3.1.5.24.04.09.11/28392.  I'll assume my NB3 is running the same version ( can't check right now...wife watching something ).  Are you running a different release from me?

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi Oldyellr:   The way call display works on the PVR with Rogers Home Phone points out ANOTHER way that whoever made the design decisions in the way this thing works was someone who failed his classes in science in school - and certainly never even took a course in logic.

I've said it again, and again, and again - but I'm repeating myself in the hope that SOME DAY Rogers will hear me when I say many of their design decisions in the way the PVR works are just plain STUPID - and demonstrate that the choices of the way this thing works are made by someone who never really uses one of these boxes in real life.

Now some of you may be tired of me repeating myself - but I'm reminded 10 or 20 or 30 times a day of the poor user interface with the NB3.

Specifically, (and sorry to repeat myself) - but for Oldyellr's awareness - with RTN, the Call Display pops up on the bottom of the screen - and 99.99% of the time when the phone rings (and I choose to take the call) - I want to either Pause my PVR - or at the very least Mute what is blaring away on the screen - but it is NOT possible to enter ANY command into the PVR while the Call Display message is on the screen.

So if I want to answer my phone, I have to find my PVR remote control, and then hit the Exit button to erase the phone message from the screen - and THEN I'm able to control my PVR to Pause or Mute.

Now do you REALLY have to be a GENIUS to imagine how the average person will want to react when their phone rings (if they've got Rogers Home Phone and on screen Call Display)?  Am I the ONLY person who has trouble talking on the phone with the TV rattling on in the background?

And does it take a product designer with greater than a grade school education to think that MAYBE it would be nice to at least be able to set an OPTION where the PVR will AUTOMATICALLY Pause when there is an incoming call?

Or am I expecting too much?

Oh - and speaking of STUPID design decisions in the PVR - has anybody else noticed that when you are in the middle of watching a program - and you pause to go into the TV Call Display listings - the stupidly poorly designed PVR DOESN'T REMEMBER THE PLACE YOU FINISHED OFF WATCHING IN THE PROGRAM YOU WERE WATCHING!

So then you have to go back to the place you STARTED watching that program - and FF all the way to where you left off!

Hasn't ANYBODY at Rogers thought this is something that should be fixed before they completely rewrite the front end of the PVR firmware to give us Navigatr that we don't want?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the explanation @billmcintyre. Now, here's an idea for Rogers. Have the PVR or live TV pause when you pick up the phone. I'm sure that could be done, but fix the easy stuff first.

neilpalmer400

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@BS wrote:

Bruce

Okay, I was just wondering because I seem to recall you couldn't pause what you were watching pre-Navigatr, so the call didplay wasn't as useful, but I could be wrong. How about getting rid of the banner with the Exit button and then pausing? (I have neither a Rogers home phone, a Nextbox or Navigatr.)

When I had Rogers Home Phone (recently cancelled, phase 1 of weaning off Rogers) when a call came in and displayed on screen you had to press Exit before you could Pause the program to go answer the phone.  Just like Pause won't work if you're playing a program in the background and you go to view the Guide or My/Scheduled Recordings, you can't Pause the playing program until you first Exit back to ONLY the playback of the recorded program.

Yet another example of a poorly thought out user interface designed by someone who doesn't actually use the product.

neilpalmer400

@ot_man wrote:

Hi krap.  Thanks for the update.

Yeah I am not going to do a factory reset on my NB3.  Its probably just telemarketers calling me.  Smiley Very Happy  Besides, I still have my old reliable DECT 6 cordless phone that tells me who is calling.   That and I still have  a few days worth of recordings I still need to watch.

Side note...and I admit it is partially my fault... when I go to channel 975 on my NB3, I see the call log.  I went back to my NB2s and still no numbers were listed.  I  looked a little more carefully at my TV screen and it actually said on the bottom of the screen  "Not registered" and that I had to call Rogers.  Hmm... an update that accidentally wiped some of my settings....say it isn't so.

That happened to me several months ago.  I noticed the caller ID banner had stopped appearing.  A Nextbox update on my 9865 had wiped the setting and I had to call Rogers support to get it working again.

WhyDidYouDoThis
I Plan to Stick Around

Please bring back the previous version. I have yet to see any benefit of this new Navigatr system yet the list of negatives is endless.