cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

OK listen up everyone who has NOT yet been infected with Navigatr.

I just got off the phone with Rogers.  I called in because a request I made a month ago to drop VIP cable package and go back to Basic still hadn't been made.  I made some sarcastic comment about Navigatr (she asked how I was doing and I said "fine as I haven't been infected with Navigatr yet") and she said "yes, I see you've refused Navigatr".  (I had called in the morning it was pushed out to those unfortunate souls and asked that my account be flagged so my PVR's not be updated with Navigatr).  I followed that up later in the conversation saying that I know in the past they were able to block the RTN update from customers who wanted to stay with SARA, and I guess you can do the same with Navigatr, and she said yes. 

At the end of the call I mentioned it yet again, saying "if Navigatr is pushed out to the Grand River area my boxes will NOT be updated, is that correct?"   She said "Yes".

SO - for everyone NOT yet infected, call in to Rogers and demand your account be flagged to NOT receive a Navigatr update. 

When you're satisfied at some future point that Rogers have addressed the Navigatr issues to your satisfaction you could call in again and request the block be removed.

If they can do that, they can roll back those us already infected.

If we get the standard answer "we can't roll-back".

Then ask em to send a tech out with a USB stick to do a manual roll-back !

neilpalmer400

krap,

Possibily not.  It could be that changes made to the software during the update made changes to files etc. and there is no procedure to roll it back.  That said it SHOULD still be possible, with a complete factory reset, to go back.

Possibly swap your box at a Rogers store for one without Navigatr on it (should be any Rogers store in Toronto for example) and before you connect it to cable at home call in and demand the update not be rolled out to your new box.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello @neilpalmer400

I can confirm that is not the case. Once we are ready to begin the Navigatr rollout to the remaining cities, Navigatr will be uploaded to all eligible equipment unabated.

RogersDarrell

neilpalmer400

@RogersDarrell wrote:

Hello @neilpalmer400

I can confirm that is not the case. Once we are ready to begin the Navigatr rollout to the remaining cities, Navigatr will be uploaded to all eligible equipment unabated.

RogersDarrell

Strange (well, maybe not) that yet again Rogers support can't follow the same script, and there are yet again conflicting answers from different Rogers staff.

It seems especially troubling that I asked this question three times and was assured this was the case.

We DO know for a fact that in the past Rogers had the capability of blocking RTN updates to those running SARA who wanted to stay on SARA (though eventually RTN was forced on all but 8300's), so obviously this capability exists.

@RogersDarrell wrote:

Hello @neilpalmer400

RogersDarrell

Darnell:

That does not mean that it has to, though. 

There is a difference betweemn WON'T and CAN'T.  I hear WON'T.

What's it take to make this an option till Navigatr operates in in an acceptable manner ? 

Since Rogers has already shown that it can do different downloads for different folks,

just a few cliks in your database I would guess. 

Patiently waiting for the roll-back and one months total bill credit (so far) due to my infected PVRs.

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

krap,

Possibily not.  It could be that changes made to the software during the update made changes to files etc. and there is no procedure to roll it back.  That said it SHOULD still be possible, with a complete factory reset, to go back.

Possibly swap your box at a Rogers store for one without Navigatr on it (should be any Rogers store in Toronto for example) and before you connect it to cable at home call in and demand the update not be rolled out to your new box.

Yes there are ways... I prefer a truck roll though. Let them bring out a different PVR, then.

But, it will take the tech quite a while to swap or mirror my HD,  so as not to lose any recordings !

JohhnyRockets

@RogersDarrell wrote:

Hello @neilpalmer400

RogersDarrell

I am really am saddened to hear this. There was once a time when Rogers would actually listen to customers feedback and provide some accomodations in alleviating the issues. One such example was the Rogers Quick Start Guide. Customers were incensed over this and Rogers made some accomodations. In all of my time with Rogers, I have never seen such anger with customers as I have seen with Navigatr and it has only been rolled out in one area. I think you owe it to you customers to either cancel Navigatr or, at the very least, provide us with an explanation as to why Navigatr must be "uploaded to all eligible equipment unabated." A little transparency here might go a long way!

Guess whose NB3 machine got zapped ?

All programs wiped out.  PVR at 0% full this afternoon.

Must have wiped the HD sometime earlier today or in the wee hours.

Angry spouse called Rogers, asking what happened and when can we get the old guide back.

The nice CSR authorized a swap out.

We noted that it records OK now.  She said swap it, likely to lose its recordings in future !

We sais OK and asked to note it on our file.

Got the replacement at the nearby Rogers store, fortunately less than a km away.

Rogers employee said he had many people come in to get a replacement machine, today.

Dug a bit deeper, apparently there was an "update" to Navigatr last nite and some machines did not take.

Came home, booted my machine.

Was not authorized to view any channels.

Called and nice CSR authorized it and we were up and running.

I thanked her and mentioned that there were some benefits due ?

She quickly authorized the usual bill credit and on-demand credits.

We commiserated about Navigatr.  She was very good and could recite the FAQ perfectly.  

Jack22
I Plan to Stick Around

What the . is "unabated"?   Can't find that word in my dictionary!

Jack22
I Plan to Stick Around

I am starting to think - too many of us complaining = zap!

Leepat
I've Been Here Awhile
without any reduction in intensity or strength.
"the storm was raging unabated"

park
I'm an Advisor

@Jack22 wrote:

I am starting to think - too many of us complaining = zap!

Yes, scary much !

Fortunately had not cancelled other services with Rogers yet, as the bill credit on a zero TV bill is still zero.

Gonna miss some movies that we have saved and 15 editions of COAST that TVO will probably re-broadcast in a few months. Plus will have to watch some TV live as we rebuild the weekly collection of shows.

park
I'm an Advisor

@Jack22 wrote:

What the . is "unabated"?   Can't find that word in my dictionary!

Are you using the Master dictonary ?

Jack22
I Plan to Stick Around
thanks, started to think I was finally losing my mind.

Jack22
I Plan to Stick Around
Live TV - OMG!! Commercials. Dreadful re-runs.
Reminds me of the days when we had to actually get up and turn on the TV.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Definition of unabated:

un·a·bat·ed
ˌənəˈbādəd/
adjective

1. without any reduction in intensity or strength.

Probably not the best choice of words - but would appear to be the truth of how they are approaching this issue.  So as I read it, the rollout  will go forward withouth any reduction in intensity or strength, and like a storm, if we have concerns, or resistance, it will blow us over.

Rogers choice of words, my interpretation, but I didn't pick the words.  This choice of words reflects exactly what we have experienced.  We have talked, there has been little feedback, and total silence at times, no matter who we speak to.  The occasional honesty sneaks out from probably a frustrated rep, as frustrated as us, but the message has been clear from the beginning, they are listening, but appear from their messages that they have no intention of turning back, no matter what we have to say.

Just the humble opinion of a customer of 23 years, who has always been satisfied, almost never spoke out on this forum, and has become highly vocal for myself and all the other souls on this page, and all the people who don't know where to go to say what is on their mind.  Although note that the Facebook page has blown up.

Don't know what else to say, don't feel like I am being listened to anyway.  All my years of experience, knowledge, preferences, years of being a dedicated customer, none of that seems to matter.

So I thought I was done talking, but just when I think I am done, another phrase, like unabated comes out.  I hope the message was stated poorly, and the words were chosen poorly without understanding exactly what those words mean.

"I can confirm that is not the case. Once we are ready to begin the Navigatr rollout to the remaining cities, Navigatr will be uploaded to all eligible equipment unabated."  I do hope that when you are ready to rollout to the remaining cities, you have responded to all of the issues on this never ending thread, which will not end until we are satisfied, and will grow if you try to upload to all eligible equipment unabated.

Bruce

So to refresh you on the definition and that our concerns back to this will also be unabated.

un·a·bat·ed
ˌənəˈbādəd/
adjective

1. without any reduction in intensity or strength.

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@krap wrote:

Guess whose NB3 machine got zapped ?

All programs wiped out.  PVR at 0% full this afternoon.

Must have wiped the HD sometime earlier today or in the wee hours.

Angry spouse called Rogers, asking what happened and when can we get the old guide back.

The nice CSR authorized a swap out.

We noted that it records OK now.  She said swap it, likely to lose its recordings in future !

We sais OK and asked to note it on our file.

Got the replacement at the nearby Rogers store, fortunately less than a km away.

Rogers employee said he had many people come in to get a replacement machine, today.

Dug a bit deeper, apparently there was an "update" to Navigatr last nite and some machines did not take.

Came home, booted my machine.

Was not authorized to view any

Called and nice CSR authorized it and we were up and running.

I thanked her and mentioned that there were some benefits due ?

She quickly authorized the usual bill credit and on-demand credits.

We commiserated about Navigatr.  She was very good and could recite the FAQ perfectly.  

@ @krap 

Just so I'm clear:

1. The NB3 that was "wiped" yesterday had had Navigatr on since Tuesday July 28th?

2. Prior to Friday's "wipe", your NB3 was not displaying blank Settings screen or PIN lockout issues.

3. You weren't at any time made aware that an update/facotry reset was to happen to your PVR on Friday Aug 21st?

Also, can you tell us what town this, please?

park
I'm an Advisor

Dunno what the new download fixed yet, if anything. Would be nice if Rogers told us.

It must also do something deep inside the Firmware's inner-workings (getting ready for IPTV stuff ?? )

else Rogers would NOT be so quick to say swap it out after the download blew my recordings away.

So why is this internal change tied to a untested PVR UI?  Rogers, please let us know why?
Anyway found another Navigatr problem.
Could not record a program which I was watching a few minutes delayed.
When I clicked to "live",then "record" it recorded from where I first started watching that program, as it should.

@krap 

Just so I'm clear:

1. The NB3 that was "wiped" yesterday had had Navigatr on since Tuesday July 28th?

YES could you not tell from my constant whining ?

2. Prior to Friday's "wipe", your NB3 was not displaying blank Settings screen or PIN lockout issues.

NOPe. What are those ?

3. You weren't at any time made aware that an update/facotry reset was to happen to your PVR on Friday Aug 21st?  NOPE  Ist CSR was nice but seemed to be coached to say nothing about Rogers tinkering. She was very curious as to when we last viewed a recorded program. It was Thursday eve.

Also, can you tell us what town this, please? Mississauga.

PS: We have 2 NB3s, the other one came through the Navigatr attack unscathed.

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@krap  - Thanks for the replies. I see you PM'd me to ask why I asked the questions, and here's why:

re #1: I know I wrote "Just so I'm clear" but I was really asking for the purpose of getting you to clarify things for all readers as you did not specify. Not everyone will have read through every page, and some readers may even be new to the forums today (Friday) as a result of having an experience similar to yours. Also, a few posters posting in these Navigatr threads have said that they do NOT yet have Navigatr.. they've been vocal because based on what they've read, they do not want it!

re #2: see thread "Navigatr keeps asking for Parental Control PIN". The blank Settings screen seems to only affect those with the PIN issue (I could be wrong). See #3 below for relevance.

re #3: Last week it was said that a 'factory reset' would be forced on "a small number" of customers to permanently resolve the isuses some had been experiencing, and that the procedure would wipe the drives. Rogers didn't specify which issues that was. At least one Member here posted that they received advance warning via a "robocall". It was confirmed afterwards that the reset did indeed resolve the PIN lock-out issue and its apparently associated blank Settings screen issue and the locked-on Descriptive Video on some channels issue that some had also been having. On that basis, I was asking the question of you as perhaps instead of an "update" (as you put it) it was just this forced reset, a few days later than originally announced - perhaps as you were in a different town to the town that was "fixed" Monday.

re: "where do you live?" - when something significant happens it's helpful for us readers to know where it happened so we can see how widespread the issue might be (because Rogers isn't likely to tell us). For example, here in Aurora, we got Navigatr the same day you did in Mississauga, but I can tell you that we did not receive an updated revision of Navigatr on Friday (I've been checking version #s every day!). If as you believe you really did receive a new version, and that it prompted so many people in your area to head to their local Rogers store on Friday to exchange their PVRs, then that tells us Rogers is doing the "smart thing" in narrowing their release rollout to fewer communities at a time that originally scheduled. Only problem with that: Mississauga is the 6th most populous city in Canada!

Conclusion: a Navigatr update being rolled out to your entire town seems unlikely.

Now, as your reply added the addtional detail that you have 2x NB3s and the one you didn't return was "unscathed", that creates the opportunity for 2 new questions: What software version # is on the unscathed box, and is it the same as on the new box?