New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

I read the Toronto Star article and I'm glad they will fix the font size and colours.  The name of the channel font is especially small and no one can read it.  

My parents still use the old fashioned VCR to record their programs.  It seems to work a lot better than Rogers PVR.   VCR and tapes are disappearing and pretty soon we will have to get a PVR but I'm really scared now after reading so many problems with the PVRs.  

But I don't know how much better off people will be by going with Bell.  Bell is just as terrible with customer service.  One of their reps once made my mom cry over a bill she forgot to pay one month.   She had never missed a payment in 20 plus years and he basically threatened her and made her feel like crap for forgetting to pay.  She was ill at the time and slipped up.  Bell is a terror as well and their prices are typically a bit larger than Rogers.  

Rogers also at least gives discounts if asked.  Bell gave me nothing when I was with them.  Only when I switched to Rogers did they offer me some discounts.  

I think the problem is lack of choice in Canada.  Where I am it's only Bell or Rogers.  We need 3 or 4 major companies to come in and you will see Rogers care a lot more than before.  Bell and Rogers knows that you really have no where to go for services.  

I do like the customer service reps for Rogers.  They are mostly polite and helpful and I've never been mistreated unlike with Bell or Telus when I had my cell phone with them.  Telus is actually the worst from my experience with them.   I promised never to get a Telus service in my life again after the horrid customer service experience I had with them.  It cost me money to switch to Virgin but I never looked back.

I understand people are really angry over the PVR stuff but I would give it a while longer for things to get fixed before switching to Bell.  If in a month they don't fix anything then I would look elsewhere but I would stick it out for a bit longer.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Why isn't there a uniform compensation for those of us who were victims of the initial rollout? Reading through the threads and the newspaper article, it seems everyone gets something different. I got a 40 dollar credit . Others have received reduced rates + ROD plus movies. Others got drastically reduced rates. Is there not a company policy that customers should receive the same compensation? It's not that I want a bunch of freebies but I think it's unfair that when I pay the same fees I don't get the same service. Are we supposed to call every day and say let's make a new deal? This is absolutely ridiculous.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@jinx8910 wrote:
Why isn't there a uniform compensation for those of us who were victims of the initial rollout?
Are we supposed to call every day and say let's make a new deal? This is absolutely ridiculous.

Seems with Rogers it's Let's Make A Deal for everyone.

You can keep your $15 and 6 free ROD movies, or trade it for what's behind door number 2.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

jinx8910 wrote: "Why isn't there a uniform compensation for those of us who were victims of the initial rollout? "

I know for a fact they look up to see how long you have been a customer of theirs before deciding what to give away. Different offers for whether you're a six-month customer or a 20+ one (like me).

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well that still doesn't make sense then. I too am a 20+ year customer. This whole thing just stinks.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

1. Has anyone had a problem with Navigatr's 'set a reminder' function? On the old guide, you could

set the reminder, and the channel would change by itself. NOW...it reminds you BUT IT WON'T

CHANGE THE CHANNEL. (So annoyed.) Is that what it's supposed to do?

2. Also, we've set the guide to turn the TV on to channel 33 (CNN) but IT WON'T. No matter what

we set it to...(specific channel/last channel watched/guide) it only turns on to (of all things) FOX.

(So annoyed.)

3. And lastly... the title page for recorded shows is awkward. It's hard to determine which show

you want without a snippet of information shown with the title. Used to be better.

4. And now, really lastly....I liked that the old guide allowed two different configurations of the screen.

You could change it to your personal preference. Now? Nada. No choice. (So sad.)

oaklie.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Yes, reported before.  If you really care about the programme, set it to be recorded.  RTN firmware was a bit stupid anyway because you needed to set a reminder for each programme, unlike SARA which allowed you to set a "series" reminder.

2. As a workaround, try setting for 1 channel number above the one you want.  If you want 33, try 34.  In your case if it's going to 28 instead of 33, you may wish to try channel 38.

3. Yep, reported often.

4. RTN Firmware dropped the Modern option a few weeks back (late June, early July, depending on your location. There was only one option recently, probably in advance of this switch to Navigatr.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@lensman wrote:

jinx8910 wrote: "Why isn't there a uniform compensation for those of us who were victims of the initial rollout? "

I know for a fact they look up to see how long you have been a customer of theirs before deciding what to give away. Different offers for whether you're a six-month customer or a 20+ one (like me).

Since the NB2 and NB3s in the guinea pig areas from July 28 on, no  longer do operate properly, i.e. an easy to use PVR,  I would guess as a minimum Rogers should waive any fees for those boxes until such time they function as well as before.  Hopefully Rogers will figure out a way to comp those who already own their machines.

@lensman Curious if Rogers offers higher comps for newer customers as 20+ year ones are less likely to leave ?

As a very-long-term customer  who now lives in a condo with a many-year-long Rogers contract, I can't even get some of the usual bundle offerings, let alone any of the new customer incentives.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@park wrote: "Curious if Rogers offers higher comps for newer customers as 20+ year ones are less likely to leave ?"

Hhm, good question. Or do they reward loyal customers more? Hard to say, and I'm not sure even Rogers knows  🙂

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

An article I've found seems to prove Rogers does little or no testing with RTN code.

This announcement:

http://newsroom.cisco.com/press-release-content?type=webcontent&articleId=677598

is dated February 24, 2012

– Cisco today announced that Rogers Communications, one of Canada's leading cable television providers, has selected the Cisco Videoscape™ TV architecture to evolve its  current TV platform with Web Services-based technologies to deliver new and improved television viewing experiences to complement the Rogers NextBox 2.0™Interactive Program Guide and Whole Home PVR.

RTN was rolled out to my 8642, replacing SARA, on 2012/05/17 - and promptly erased all the recordings on my 8642.

So the announcement is made 2012/02/24 and less than 3 months later Rogers pushes out a SARA to RTN update.

How well do you think that was tested?  And that was certainly FULL of bugs, and dropped a lot of useful features the SARA code had.  History repeats itself.

There is a user guide for RTN (Reference Television Navigator, or Cisco Videoscape Voyager Vantage) from April 2014, of course for RTN 4.1 (the version Rogers pushed out to me 2014/04/15 was 4.0.1.0109 - Navigatr appears to be RTN 5.2):

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/videoscape/Voyager_Vantage/OL-26393-03.pdf

Of course Rogers has modified the look a little, but the base function is well documented.

I wonder if there is a version for RTN 5.2 / Nagivatr ?

(I doubt it as it appreas it was rushed to release without testing, yet alone documentation).

From this web page it appears Cisco has no information available after RTN 4.1

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/video/videoscape-voyager-vantage/tsd-products-support-series-ho...