New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

I believe if you set a reminder it pops up a message on the screen 2 minutes before the program starts, the same as you get a message 2 minutes before a program starts recording (at least on my 8300). I really don't see the point, because why not just record it anyway?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@BS wrote:

One last question - what is reminders - I never really used it on the last version.  What does it do, I know how to set it, but don't know what it does, nor how to find them.

Someone in this thread (I believe) also wrote that Reminders works differently with this Frankenstein of a new User Interface: Apparently the old reminder (and I never used it so I don't know) would automatically jump to the channel you wanted to be reminded about after two minutes. But NOW, if you miss that reminder (getting a sandwich or Googling Bell's best deals) the reminder just goes poof and disappears. You sit down again and are none the wiser that your show is now starting...

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Another possible workaround for those having the "fix" done on Monday if you have lots to watch.  Unplug your cable connection - the big round coax cable - now it cannot be pushed on you except when you want to.  If you have a digital tv, basic tv will be seen on your tv, just won't have the full selection.  Now watch your shows at your leisure and at some time, plug it back in and the fix will come down at some point.  Let Rogers tech know you have done it, so they are aware and can advise you if there are any complications.  If you don't have a digital tv, swing by the Rogers store and pick up a digital terminal adapter - DTA.  Just a thought, don't know if it will work or not.

Glad there has been a phone blast of the announcement of this event.  Kind of like I got a blast about all old voicemail being deleted older than a certain date. It was in my bill announcements, but glad they called too. How about an email blast too. You have a contact email on all of us. Cover your all possible communication options.

Bruce

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few caveats to the recommendations above:

1. In most areas there are very few or no analogue channels left (basic or less). A digital TV will pick up very few digital channels since they're almost all encrypted.

2. A DTA would work, if you wish to go to all the trouble of getting one and connecting it to your TV, however, most people with PVRs don't watch much live TV.  Also, the DTA will only pick up certain (previously analogue) channels.  It doesn't pick up all the channels available via a STB.

3. The 8642 and 9865 did not boot without a cable connection with RTN and I suspect Navigatr will be the same.  So if the power goes down, it won't boot and you won't be able to watch any recordings without a cable connection.  As long as you don't lose power on the 8642 (or 9865) you should be fine for watching recordings (but don't take forever because the firmware may automatically deactivate the PVR after a period of time - like 3 weeks, if three is no signal back to the head end). I have mine hooked up to a UPS, as is recommended for any PVR.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57, just looking for solutions, way out of the box, I know. No pun intended.  Thanks for the clarifications.  Did not know about the requirement to be attached for a reboot and just how far the analogue to digital had gone.  The basic stations are still available to my small digital tv without the DTA, as the silly things keep failing and I keep replacing them. True it is not a large range of stations, but basic tv and cable never did have a large range.  Ahh, haven't we all become spoiled. I still remember a rotor antenna, booster, and even three antennas in different directions, fixed, and a real toggle switch to move from antenna to antenna. 13 channels possible on TV, about 8 truly available and snow too.  Just kidding. 

That service was completely free once we bought the equipment required and tv and you could even go "luxury" and move up to a bigger screen, in one of those giant cabinents with nice big speakers on each size and colour too. Wow. Our neighbours had that, we never did get colour until years later. I learned my cheapness from my parents.

Just adding a bit of humour to this whole mess. Keeps my sanity and for now, I am just trying to look for helpful solutions. My wife told me last night when I mentioned that some people are going to have their boxes wiped, if they are supposed to take a couple days off work, cancel all weekend or evenings plans and just watch tv. I laughed my head off on that one.  We are fortunately not one of them.

Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Ah

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Clarification about phone blast.

I had heard somewhere that someone had received a call - sorry but I can't remember where, or maybe I just imagined it from all the discussion.

I would edit that out and clarify what I was saying there that it will be nice to see a phone blast like the one I received about voicemails being deleted if they are older than a certain date. But unfortunately, the edit option is not showing on my post for that one. Don't know why, I can see it in other ones, but not that one.

So no, I have not heard of a phone blast to those people this will impact. Sorry for any confusion. My bad. And thanks for bringing it to my attention.

All the more reason why so many of us have been demanding clear announcements being provided directly from very senior staff as to what is going on. It creates a lot of confusion and frustration the mixed messages that come to us, and as a result, when we pass on what we have heard.  Second and third hand knowledge is always like the old telephone game.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Continuting the saga, things are getting wierd with Rogers services around here.

My NB3 froze and rebooted itself last nite and again today while I was using the remote, changing channels. 

Its been stable as a rock till now.

Internet & phone were offline for ~2 hours from 10AM on today.

Got a voicemail from Rogers about them deleting my voicemails if I keep em around too long but nothing about NB2 download and hard-drive zapping coming Sunday nite.

Also got a couple other  phone calls during that time. They went to voicemail were but not logged when I checked channel 975.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Found another nuicance bug.  I really do need a can of Raid.

1. When setting filter channels from the guide, one of the options is show all channels.  My box is stuck in subscribed filter - ok with me, I don't want to scroll through unscribed channels.  But setting to ALL channels, does not show all channels (I have mentioned this earlier).  I decided to reboot my box today, just to see what would happen.  When I went back in, the settings for filter channels had defaulted back to ALL channels, but it still only shows subscribed only.  Set back to subscribed just in case, since that is my choice.

2. I decided I didn't want Related Content, so went into settings and turned it off. It has absolutely no impact on related content or recommended shows (think those are the same things).  The recommendations keep coming up in various places, labelled More Like This.  If you are going to make a setting to turn off related content, then make it work. I really don't want it.  I know what I want to watch, my preferred TV shows as scheduled (but to say it again, too ackward to find them in the tiles anymore), and my recorded shows (again, akward).

So I know I may not get a logical way of dealing with scheduled shows and recorded shows searching, but at least make the options you have built in work predictability if they work at all.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I was doing fairly well until the newest "download" this morning. The download did not stop on its own (started in the morning) and by 2:30 pm I decided that I couldn't believe that software download would take that long. Contacted Rogers via Chat and the tech person was very helpful and I got it back up and running.  However, now it has created another problem, it seems to be stuck on record. My TV comes on with CP24 as the preferred start up station. It is recording it whenever my TV is on. In spite of cancelling the recording activity, the red recording light remains on. I have no idea what is going happen with my scheduled programs for recording or if my hard drive will fill up with CP24 news.

I tried to get back on Rogers' Chat to find out what to do but the Chat does not seem to be available now. Perhaps too many inquiries as a result of this recent download.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yank the power plug on the back of the PVR. Let it sit for 30 seconds and press the Power button a few times while still unplugged to drain any capacitors. Plug back in, let it do it's thing for 5-10 minutes then check.

By the way, my 8642HD is on the exact same software revision that it was on the morning of Tuesday July 28th, the only thing that has changed is the Guide Listings and On Demand type data.