cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Leepat
I've Been Here Awhile

Just throwing this out there: How about this so called upgrade is a Big Data thing wherein Rogers needed to capture/group/tabulate what we are recording/watching/when/how many times/how long/ etc. Lets assume they were/are collecting this data but needed it to be more concise so they created a (in their minds) a better mouse trap. If I am recording my favorite shows (a series)  I am definitly fast forwarding through the commercials this is not good for Rogers. If they have the data supporting our viewing habits (New style Nielson) then they can generate more advertising revenues. I assumed they had this data before now but maybe streaming services Netflix, CraveTV and even Shomi have opened their eyes to generate better statistics for selling advertising more targeted than before. Why would they risk so much backlash to give us something we didn't ask for. 

park
I'm an Advisor

@KWoo wrote:

I believe there was supposed to be some kind of announcement today via the Community Blog. I haven't heard or seen anything.....did I miss it or is it still coming? If it's the latter, do we have a timeline on when we'll get the big announcement? 

You mean:

Stay tuned for Thursday's Blog, where we will post the updated roll out schedule for the Navigatr guide.

All I saw in the blog was that firm roll-out dates, most of which have passed anyway, were removed

and are now "coming soon".

PS: Some (all?) of  us who got the July 28 new Navigatr software got an upload last night.

Other than taking a very long time to load and turning the PVR clock-on in our bedroom PVR,

nothing else seemed to change, today.  I had to reset the clock-off when the machine is off.

park
I'm an Advisor

@Leepat wrote:

Just throwing this out there: How about this so called upgrade is a Big Data thing wherein Rogers needed to capture/group/tabulate what we are recording/watching/when/how many times/how long/ etc. Lets assume they were/are collecting this data but needed it to be more concise so they created a (in their minds) a better mouse trap. If I am recording my favorite shows (a series)  I am definitly fast forwarding through the commercials this is not good for Rogers. If they have the data supporting our viewing habits (New style Nielson) then they can generate more advertising revenues. I assumed they had this data before now but maybe streaming services Netflix, CraveTV and even Shomi have opened their eyes to generate better statistics for selling advertising more targeted than before. Why would they risk so much backlash to give us something we didn't ask for. 

Possible. But then why change the UI, if they just want to spy on us?

Q: Do the get any revenues showing commercials?.

Thought that went to the TV broadcaster (of which Rogers owns a few)

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I said I wouldn't be back for a while until I saw some new thing.  I had set up to record the final Daily show tonight. This afternoon, the recording was there scheduled in that second list inside the tile.  

Well, we were watching the show when it came on, we paused it for a while to talk amongst ourselves about the debate, and then we realized the red light for recording was not on.  At this point, we still can't find the show in our recordings.

Oh well, fortunately it plays at other times of the day.  Maybe it is because the show is an hour long today and original start end time is half hour. Who knows, I give up trying to understand.

Don't know whether this was reported before, but add it to the list - yah you know that list some of us have asked for.

Good night, I remain calm, cool and collected. Thanks for the support everyone, the understanding when I occasionally react to a message I didn't fully comprehend, and I am sure the unspoken care and concern as I spoke of my illness, which I mention as part of my own mission to destymatize mental illness, to educate about my illness, and I am proud to say I am more than my illness, but it is still a part of me.  My public service annoncement for the day.

Take care everyone. This has been fun. One to beam up Scotty.  I am out of here. and no BS here, just me, Bruce.

shan-man
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers, PLEASE abandon the new Navigatr and roll back all of us poor souls to the previous PVR guide. Even ignoring the issue with rollout clobbering recordings, there are SO MANY problems with the new Navigatr that I don't even feel it's worth fixing. For instance:

- The new boxes view is essentially useless. I can no longer view separate lists of current recordings and upcoming recordings. What good is it to tell me there's two episodes of Suits when neither one has been recorded yet? I can't view my current recordings or upcoming recordings ordered by date. I can't see what's currently recording. I can't see my upcoming recordings if there are no episodes scheduled in the next few weeks. Titles are cropped. I have to drill down into boxes to see descriptions.

- I can't view the info on a recording that I'm watching without first stopping it.

- I used to be able to press stop and then immediately delete the current recording. Now when I press stop I'm returned to the listing with the most recent episode in the list selected. I've now deleted at least two new rcordings unintentionally due to this.

The list goes on. It's obvious there wasn't enough user acceptance testing done on this and your customers hate it. It's time to kill it. Please!

Forum readers, please feel free to chime in, either with a +1 or a list of the issues you've identified.

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
@. wrote:

@Leepat wrote:

Possible. But then why change the UI, if they just want to spy on us?

Q: Do the get any revenues showing commercials?.

Thought that went to the TV broadcaster (of which Rogers owns a few)

Most of this is fairly moot, i think, at least in the terms of 'spying'/what is watched for ratings wise.

These would be calculated at the times of AIRING.

Weither WATCHING live, or recording, a tuner in the box, is tuned into the channel.
In the eyes of 'ratings' it would be being VIEWED.

At least my understanding.

ipalrosic
I Plan to Stick Around

I have an idea - why don't we all grep/awk/bash thinking and Navigatr suffering users join forces and show them how it is done! 

Should not be too hard to do it if anyoone has a box which is their property and is willing to hack into it 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Minor little quirky thing we have found.  When adjusting the volume from the Nextbox, there is a box in the top right corner that shows bars. If I look closely, I see that above the bars are the words volume and the percentage level in numbers.  This font is in black on the grey box, so you cannot read it with any dark background, and it can only be seen when the show behind has bright white image.  Just a weird one. I can see the bars at least, but just one more thing to be addressed, unless there is something on my end to deal with text colour.

Thanks.

shan-man
I Plan to Stick Around

I just wanted to share that Rogers seems to be listening. Last night I sent via the Rogers "Share A Concern" page the same concern that I posted in this forum, enumerating the problems with Navigatr and how I think it should be killed off due to serious missing and/or broken functionality.

Share A Concern page: https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=contactUsShareAConcern

This afternoon I received a call from Amanda in the Office of the President and she kindly let me know that Rogers is very aware of the problems that people are reporting with missing and/or broken functionality and that they are taking the feedback seriously. Unfortunately she wasn't able to advise me of what the resolution is going to be (which I think is fair; this JUST happened), but I really did get the sense that she (and Rogers in general) understands that beyond the lost content issue, there are serious issues with Navigatr.

I was also offered a little bit of compensation for my inconvenience, which I appreciated. While it won't convince me to put up with Navigatr in its current state forever, the offer of compensation suggests to me that Rogers realizes there are problems and wants people to hang in while they fix it. Time will tell what comes of this.

I just wish I could go back to the old software while they work it out - unfortunately not an option.

Cap07
I'm a Reliable Contributor

OMG! This is one huge cockup! Why didn't they hire a few college students at minimum wage to test this thing before they inflicted it on the public? They would have told Rogers to go back to the drawing board. This is, sorry to say, crap! I'm seriously thinking of returning my PVR because it is just too much of a hassle the way it is now.

neilpalmer400

shan-man,

My point is that it SHOULD be an option to go back to Navigatr 5.1 if you really wanted to, and Rogers wanted to co-operate.  In the past they could block a box from receiving formware updates (those who wanted to stay with SARA and not go to RTN, though eventually they forced RTN out to everyone) so they must have that capability of blocking firmware updates to selected boxes.  What if you swapped out your infected NextBox at a Rogers store (assuming it's a rental) for one that doesn't have Navigatr installed on it (though this may involve a trip to a Rogers store in a location where the contagion has not been released, like Toronto).  Rogers could block that box from receiving firmware updates.  Voila!  Back on RTN 5.1 and happy for a while.  (Of course with the price being losing whatever you've got recorded when you swap the box).

neilpalmer400

Many are saying they'd rather ditch Navigatr and have the old RTN (5.1) back.

Just as a reminder of what we lost when RTN replaced SARA over 3 years ago check here:

https://gadgetscanada.wordpress.com/home-entertainment-gadgets/cable-tv/rogers-next-box-and-new-ipg-...

What is REALLY infuriating about the Navigatr update is Rogers simply spent valuable programming resources on putting a new skin on the same old RTN code, instead of fixing the outstanding bugs under the cover (that are STILL there in Navigatr) or giving us back some of the missing features we had with SARA and have been waiting well over 3 years to get back !!

park
I'm an Advisor

@shan-man wrote:

I just wanted to share that Rogers seems to be listening. Last night I sent via the Rogers "Share A Concern" page the same concern that I posted in this forum, enumerating the problems with Navigatr and how I think it should be killed off due to serious missing and/or broken functionality.

Share A Concern page: https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=contactUsShareAConcern

This afternoon I received a call from Amanda in the Office of the President and she kindly let me know that Rogers is very aware of the problems that people are reporting with missing and/or broken functionality and that they are taking the feedback seriously. Unfortunately she wasn't able to advise me of what the resolution is going to be (which I think is fair; this JUST happened), but I really did get the sense that she (and Rogers in general) understands that beyond the lost content issue, there are serious issues with Navigatr.

I was also offered a little bit of compensation for my inconvenience, which I appreciated. While it won't convince me to put up with Navigatr in its current state forever, the offer of compensation suggests to me that Rogers realizes there are problems and wants people to hang in while they fix it. Time will tell what comes of this.

I just wish I could go back to the old software while they work it out - unfortunately not an option.

Thanks shan-man.  Just applied for my comps !

Who says its not an option? An about to be fired Rogers VP? 

In the meantime looking forward to ALL us guinea pigs in the July 28 disaster being comped as well.

Comp suggestions:

Comp #1 - Return to old system and we will be try to forgive Rogers for this huge mistake.

Comp #2 - If Rogers insists on re-launching Naivgatr, please make your #1 priority changing the status of program being recorded to recorded as soon as it starts. That way it can be more easily found (top of the chrono list) and watched without going a long hunt to find it, then having to rewind to watch.  

Comp #3  - For those of us infected with the July 28 virus, please shower everyone with freebees often to keep us from Bellhopping.

Comp #4 - Immediatly fire the Exec/Management who let this fiasco happen, and more importantly let it continue to today and beyond !!! 

1jakeyok
I've Been Here Awhile

SINCE ROGERS REALIZES THEY UNLEASHED A BOMB, WHY AREN'T THEY AUTOMATICALLY COMENSATING THOSE WHO ARE SUFFERING WITH THE "NEW AND IMPROVED" NAVIGATR WITHOUT AN END IN SIGHT ???????????????????

jinx8910
I Plan to Stick Around
Agree. I would think compensation should be automatic for the first roll out customers. We shouldn't have to all contact Rogers individually. An earlier post mentions they got some compensation when they contacted the office of the president so why aren't we all being given the same?

Cap07

I just now accidentally deleted an episode of a series I've been recording because when I hit delete it took me back to the most recently recorded episode instead of the oldest. Why can't it just recognize which episode you've been watching as the one you want deleted? This was on the PBS station and won't be broadcast again so it's totally gone. I can't believe that someone who actually uses a PVR designed this User Interface. It's bloody horrible. Time to hit social media and complain to the world.

theClubHopper

re:

@1jakeyok wrote:

SINCE ROGERS REALIZES THEY UNLEASHED A BOMB, WHY AREN'T THEY AUTOMATICALLY COMENSATING THOSE WHO ARE SUFFERING WITH THE "NEW AND IMPROVED" NAVIGATR WITHOUT AN END IN SIGHT ???????????????????

and

@jinx8910 wrote:
Agree. I would think compensation should be automatic for the first roll out customers. We shouldn't have to all contact Rogers individually. An earlier post mentions they got some compensation when they contacted the office of the president so why aren't we all being given the same?

I addressed this very thing last Tuesday when I spoke somone in the O of the P, and I believe I even used the word "cowardly" to: a) describe Rogers' decision to bury the "If you are having problems seeing your recordings on your PVR, please call Customer Care" notice online where the majority of existing customers will never look, rather than send an email out to ALL TV customers in the affected communities, and b) only personally contact those who complained, which we all know will not be everyone. I got a "You're right" (again) but the bottom line is an email blast still never came and the only people actually compensated were people who spoke up and complained, and the only people actually compensated with something "substantial" (subjective to the individual) had to fight/push/go to the next level in order to get it.

In my case, having refused the original ROD movie/token bill credit, and having not yet accepted the re-negotiated package I'd had to fight with E-Management for, I was pleasantly surprised when the O of the P person did the right thing and just came out and said "Here's what I'm going to do for you..". I was happy with what was offered (and it wasn't a NB3), and I don't "happy" easily, but I added, "That's me happy but what about everyone else?".

And by the way, when I say "happy" in that last sentence I mean "appeased".. as it uh, "made ammends". As we all know, the fact remains, Navigatr is still on my box and it is still a mess and will be for the foreseeable future - there are just too many issues to fix, quickly.

@Cap07 wrote:

I just now accidentally deleted an episode of a series I've been recording because when I hit delete it took me back to the most recently recorded episode instead of the oldest.

As we'd had to find lost series recordings online, we'd been catching up using a console-based media player ever since Launch Day and hadn't had the opportunity to experience many of the Navigatr bugs that had been identified here. On Thursday, we'd caught up to the first of the series' recordings on the PVR (dated Tuesday 28th). I was especially wary of the issue you described, so when the epidode finished, I did my utmost to avoid it. I saw exactly what everyone had been talking about, and exercised caution and hit [DOWN] repeatedly to get the recording that said "Watched" by it, then hit "Delete" and "Yes".

It STILL deleted the wrong one! It deleted the Wed 29th episode.

Despite calls of "You deleted the wrong one!" from around the room, I was able to prove I was not crazy by showing them that none of the Recordings still present said "Watched" beside them.

neilpalmer400

@theClubHopper wrote:

As we'd had to find lost series recordings online, we'd been catching up using a console-based media player ever since Launch Day and hadn't had the opportunity to experience many of the Navigatr bugs that had been identified here. On Thursday, we'd caught up to the first of the series' recordings on the PVR (dated Tuesday 28th). I was especially wary of the issue you described, so when the epidode finished, I did my utmost to avoid it. I saw exactly what everyone had been talking about, and exercised caution and hit [DOWN] repeatedly to get the recording that said "Watched" by it, then hit "Delete" and "Yes".

It STILL deleted the wrong one! It deleted the Wed 29th episode.

Despite calls of "You deleted the wrong one!" from around the room, I was able to prove I was not crazy by showing them that none of the Recordings still present said "Watched" beside them.

All that care and it STILL deleted the wrong episode ?
Simply INEXCUSABLE.

Who did Roger have test this abomination - a barrel of drunken monkeys ?????

ipalrosic
I Plan to Stick Around

Just got of the phone with a very nice and polite supervisor in tech support department who agreed with me that she does not like the interface either and was very convincing when explaining the process that they will  use to take customers feedback into account and  fix issues:

1)Each ticket is filed as a separate problem report to the engineering responsible for updates for the Navigatr

2)There is no timeline for fixes/upgrades for missing or broken functionality

3)There will be no reverting back to the old version 

4)The compensation of 6 movies and $15 off is available to all affected by default

As I don't believe in coincidences, much less in the individual freedom to respond from within a corporate umbrella, it feels as if there is a change in how Rogers decided to respond to the widespread dissatisfaction.

I personally infer the following: they know that on the long run they will lose more business to digital content providers than to satellite/cable TV competition ( the main reason I am still here is that after 15 years of being Bell customer I have no illusions that I would be treated any better there). Hence they are putting the effort and money where they predict they revenue will come from in the future.

This Navigatr rollout is  just a collateral damage in that process - likely anticipated and the cost already calculated in, including benefits of QA that does not have to be paid for and included in the development cycle.

jinx8910
I Plan to Stick Around
Interesting.

1. Do we all have report a problem or are they reading the issues on the forum? (And creating various tickets themselves)

2. Re compensation, are they going to advise us when?

3. Are they going to send e-mails or letters to affected customers stating all this info?