New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Yes I agree, it is currently novel to do things on my box each day.  I am now taking the approach, of "what surprising thing will I find today".  I agree, keep pushing buttons, doing different things, who knows what you will find. Like my earlier post of stop your viewing of on demand shows in order to get info that is not available from the info button, then see the info and resume play where you left off.

Unique and weird workarounds we are creating here.

And yes, the videos are merely simple demostrations, more marketing then how to's from my perspective, but I was being generous. Someone said earlier, can we say something positive about the box, so once I got over the whole emotional frustration of this whole thing, I am now able to look more rationally and clearly, have a sence of humour about it all.

I just got off the phone with a manager and I told her all the things that I had dealt with, and that most have been taken care of like billing, detailed billing, and other issues, and that they are currently working on this.

I was asked if I could forward the thing I just described to tech support. I am going to say as . did (hey, your name is kind of like mine BS, but mine is at least my initials, but it was chosen deliberately that I would use my initials because it also represents how I feel at times).  I would ask one of the moderators to send this to tech support. I have done way too much talking and writing, and to be honest, I just don't feel like it right now. The information is there for tech to see, I leave it to them to find it and do something.

As I said to the manager - from my perspective as a programmer, there are some clear coding issues and interface consistency issues (there should be consistent ways to do everything within the design as much as possible). They can be found in how the buttons on the remote make calls to the code to do certain things, there are obvious problems in the coding related to scheduling, watch, resume, delete with series of shows, and if they look at the other reported issues, the programmers can use the information that many of  us have clearly and in great detail have explained as to the behaviour of the box and find the underlying coding.  I am not talking about things like the nature of change and the fact that we would like to see the old way.  If I have to stay with tiles, I will learn, if I have to look into tiles for recordings and scheduled recordings, I will learn, but I think they can also consider how to improve it based upon our feedback.  We are the users, let's remember.  I am talking about the things like losing recordings, the situation I just described above related to deletion of a previous program, and having it layered on top of a new program, then completely dropping a scheduled new program.  These things have to be fixed, period. And although it is fun for me as a programmer, now retired, and implementor of the very types of roll outs that have been done recently, to see what is not working and figure out what is probably causing it and feeding that back, I am retired, so really just want to be a user, not a tester, or debugger and designer of changes and improvements.  I ust want to watch my TV and my PVR in a reasonably logical and simple way.  I don't think I am asking for much here.

BS (just my initials today)  Have a good day. Off to deal with life again.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Very well put @neilpalmer400 . I agree 1000% with what you have said. I like you, certainly hope that all the effort and work that you put into the old code, and now debugging the new code will result in a stable box again, but given how much is in there, 2016, from my experience in this type of work would be a reasonable timeline.  If they say a couple of weeks, it will be too rushed and prone to human errors. I pitty the poor programmers if they get rushed in all this. Debugging code at the base level is not an easy task.

By the way, I was asking today about another rollout (the new billing) and was informed that it was tested on Chrome and Explorer, but they couldn't be expected to know what the whole user base settings would be.  Common 75% view worked on Chrome, 100% did not. The default level of zoom is 100% on chrome, and did noone even think to test it on different zoom levels. Basic testing, and that information of how our browsers are used, the settings, the versions, etc is all sitting in the cookies, so the whole range of users and how they use it can be available just by aggregating up that data at a meta level.  But guess no one thought of that one.  Oh well, they have fixed that one, took a month, but they still haven't fixed one bug in explorer 11 in terms of the download of detailed phone talk calls (sorry they call it talk detail, not phone calls - we even have to learn new language and meanings along the way.)

But I digress, just presented this as how from the perspective of Rogers staff, they say they have tested, and debugged, extensively, and that not every nextbox is being impacted the same (isn't the underlying code all the same, so why should there be great difference between users), but I am sorry, based upon my experience, I will take their claim that they tested and debugged extensively, but I question just how broad that was as there are so many different ways that we all use our equipment to meet our unique needs, but on a basic level a lot of these user issues reported here.

So I won't repeat what you said, but simply, yes, someone acknowledge that they have got the whole list, and they are working on it and thank us.

And we will see in the next roll out how it goes.  Hope if it is all fixed for the next group that they remember to roll it out to us too.  Life goes on.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

One problem I'm having is that previously when you pressed the "list" button twice it gave a list of all your timers not just the ones that are recording currently, by date, alphabetically, etc.  There were different tabs for different options.  This option is now gone. I have no idea whether a show I had a timer for will record once new episodes start.  I've contacted Rogers last week. They said they would get back to me within 48 hours. No one called me back. I contacted them again on Tuesday and was promised an update in 48 hours and heard nothing back.  They advised that this is a problem they were not aware of and will need to work a patch around it. It's very frustrating to say the least.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Dear RogersDarrell - You mentioned that we should stay tuned for an update on Thursday from Rogers. Do you know when on Thursday the promised Rogers Blog Update will be posted...?
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@User2014 wrote:
Dear RogersDarrell - You mentioned that we should stay tuned for an update on Thursday from Rogers. Do you know when on Thursday the promised Rogers Blog Update will be posted...?

He did not say which Thursday. There are lots of Thursdays coming up. One every week !

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Thx BS.

You remind me of a great software designer I once had the privilege to work with.

We were tasked with making the best text editor we could for a modern TELEX machine that used floppy disks instead of paper tape. [very much like a PVR (disk) to replace a VCR (tape) ].

The challenge was that it had to fit in 2K memory as that was all that was left over after the base low-level disk, file and I/O software, took most of the available memory.

I was amazed at how my guru friend worked. After he desiged the editor and wrote the code once, he never looked at the code again. He had me run/test different things and tell him what happened. Then he told me what to change.  It was a unique experience for me. 

We even had room left over to add some extra commands.

As paper-tape was physical and unidirectional you could only erase(all holes filled) and "Move" text futher down the tape.  But disk was different so we invent the "Wove" command (Move backwards).  Like play (sorry watch) in reverse on a PVR ?  But I digress.

Maybe a few of us more vocal types can help Rogers out of their pickle, and design an excellent PVR manager.  Programming the UI for PVR is not rocket science.  Would you be willing if we can get Rogers to play ball?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The update happened for me this monring ... not smoothly surprisingly. When I got up at 4am, I noticed the display on my 8642 kept saying 'DNLD' (download).

I had to unplug the cord to force a reboot ... all seems "well" now.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What update? What's different ? Mine is the same. Should I unplug?
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I read on Digital Home this morning that some people got a big update overnight and it took some rebooting to get back up. No reports if anything was fixed or improved yet. I presume this was the customers who got the first wave of Navigatr.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone,

Thank-you for your continued patience as we work on addressing the issues with the new Navigatr guide for NextBox.

Your feedback helped us quickly identify issues and we sincerely apologize if you experienced any inconveniences caused by the rollout. 

As soon as we discovered that some customers were experiencing issues with the update, we immediately stopped rolling out this upgrade to additional customers.

We’ve identified fixes and are working to correct the most impactful issues first. 

We will start rolling out the upgrade again once the issues have been resolved.  As more information becomes available, we’ll provide further updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you again for your patience as we work to improve your TV experience.