cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nextbox Navigator

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family.

BS

***Edited Labels***

1,698 REPLIES 1,698

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

LOL! Yesterday I got an email from Rogers promoting NAVIGATR and I don't even have a Nextbox.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor
Glad to here I am not the only one with issues. And all sarcasm aside did anyone think about font size and how much change would be incurred by users and ask which they prefer. The whole business of rcorded shows is a total pain. Not easier at all. Add it to the list of changes. New billing new navigator delayed billing. I am beginning to get a bit overloaded and annoyed with too much change at the same time. Please bigger fonts. We all have deteriating vision as we age. Unfortunate but true. I am going to guess the testers weren't ashed to sit back from a big screen TV eight feet away and all had great vision. Can't imagine what people with smaller screens are going through.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor
Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing as of late, or maybe it is a matter of way two many hands in the pot.

cboiani
I Plan to Stick Around

The chimps are on the case!!!!

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Playing around with the new navigator, there are lots of things I do like and do find easier and faster, but the only way you can now sort and find your recordings now is by most recent recorded, or alphabetically. I often cannot fully remember what I have recorded, and I like to scan by date to find things, as I remember generally when I recorded it. Further, like in a PC view of explorer windows, you can view by details, by list, by icon. This change seems to change us to one model of view - by icon only. We need the option of seeing details in a list view to ease the finding of our recordings. The icon box view chops off the full title of the show and you can seen what is inside the box and number of episodes. These icons are basically folders with the single or multiple recordings inside. Once you go in you can see the shows and the font gets smaller the more programs that are in there. I have one with over 5 shows, that is the maximum it shows on one page, and the font is 1 cm high on my 46 inch screen. That is constant throughout the viewed saved shows, but the problem is that as there are more shows, the spacing between letters, known as kerning, becomes smaller, so the letters are then crowded together making them less readable. So my issue is one, the font height and the kerning. (space between text). May not be an easy programming change, but as we used to be able to do, we could choose between the classic and new menu, how about if we could choose between a list or "folder" view. Seems interesting that on the remote, it says list. The original programmers had it right in the first place - the list of full details makes life easier. The putting of the various menu options for saving, deleting, recording on the right hand side also makes things easier. So in summary, if you are going to stay with this model, I can live with it and learn, I will just have to fish through the folders to find what I want based upon most recent viewed sort, but this font issue has to be dealt with. I am going blind fast enough already in terms of being able to read text at distance or close. This is why I use large fonts on my computer, read large text books, keep magnifying glass handy and use zoom and other tools on my computer to assist me with accommodating my visual acuity. Thanks for putting out the note to clarify that you had delayed full roll out due to a problem for some people. Keep letting the board know what is working and not working - in a sense, we are the testers. I am not confident that they are using a representative sampling of testers when they do their development and beta testing. The development teams may want to look into a new model of design and programming called AGILE management tools, which integrates all teams of developers, designers, programmers, developers, users and support staff into constant communication so that feedback is moving quickly back and forth between all people involved in the final end product and making it meet the user's needs. Basically, what that would look like would be a board like this, where representatives from design, engineering, implementation, support, and users are communicating back and forth, so that everyone required to deal with issues are in the loop, rather than moderators and monitors sending material back to development teams, and we the users are left waiting to know what is happening. Then a number of days or weeks later, we learn that changes are coming. The new models facilitate faster communication and change.  Not to say that this is for general knowledge and support issues and knowledge clarification like much of what is on this board, I am speaking of feedback on development and rollout of new designs and programming.  Athough I think the model may have benefits for any type of feedback, just different teams involved. And it goes PM when it becomes an individual issue like we now have. Here's to further growth and making the user's life easier and faster.  BS