New Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kimmal
I Plan to Stick Around

New Modem

Did I hear that rogers was offering a new modem for their internet service?  I thought I saw it on the website before, but now can't seem to find that link.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Jeffrey
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: New Modem

Docsis 3.0 has rolled out in many areas, which comes with a fresh & new on the market D3 modem. The D3 modem is for the super fast 50 Mb service.

They also have the wireless N modem/router/gateway avaliable.

Try this link and click the "Hardware options" link. Is there a particular modem you are looking for?

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans#

-Jeffrey

View solution in original post

All Replies
Jeffrey
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Docsis 3.0 has rolled out in many areas, which comes with a fresh & new on the market D3 modem. The D3 modem is for the super fast 50 Mb service.

They also have the wireless N modem/router/gateway avaliable.

Try this link and click the "Hardware options" link. Is there a particular modem you are looking for?

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans#

-Jeffrey

View solution in original post

skutflut
I Plan to Stick Around

Jeffrey,

You mention checking the Hardware options, which I just did.   Correct me if I am wrong, but Rogers does NOT offer a DOCSIS 3 stand alone modem.   The ONLY DOCSIS 3 option they are offering is the SMC Modem/Gateway.

That means you cannot upgrade to the higher tier speeds which require a DOCSIS 3 modem,  unless you are willing to use the SMC combo unit.  This combo unit has shown itself to be less than reliable for many customes,  as documented in this forum and in other places.

The webpage is very misleading concerning what hardware goes with what package.   When you click on the Ultimate Tab,  then the hardware tab,  it shows you three items,  a modem,  a G type gateway/modem combo,  and an N type gateway/modem combo.    The only hint is that it mentioins that the standalond modem works well with the LITE service.  It does not mention that it DOES NOT WORK AT ALL with the Ultimate package.   Your reply also does not mention that the DOCSIS 3 standard is required for both the 25 mbit service as well as the 50mbit service.  How about clarifying  things and not sending people on a wild goose chase. 

To your knowledge,  does Rogers now offer a standalone  DOSCIS 3 modem,  that can be used on the 25 and 50 mbit tiers,  without having to use the SMC N gateway.   For example  have they finally tested and approved the Motorola 6120 modem?

tandar
I Plan to Stick Around

The only Docsis 3 modem currently supported is the SMC modem/Gateway N router.  It is requried for Ultimate, Extreme plus and the new Extreme plan (15mbs).   existing users on the 10mbs extreme plan or users on express, lite and ultra-lite can use any of the modems.

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
Netbug
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Indeed the SMC units are the only ones currently offered by Rogers for use on the network in the DOCSIS 3 protocol.

However, these devices can be operated in Bridge mode which essentially turns them into DOCSIS 3 modems.

This allows customers to continue using their own routing hardware while getting the DOCSIS 3 speeds.

Bridge mode cannot be enabled within the customer configuration panel and you would have to call in to technical support to have the decive switched from Gateway to Bridge, however it is a very simple procedure.

If you decide to go that route, make sure you request that the wireless functionality also be turned off after it is switched to bridge.

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Helpful insights, thanks everyone!

feamcor
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm so frustrated with Rogers about this lack of vanilla DOCSIS 3 modems. But not only that ... I bought the regular cable modem ($99) last April and subscribed to the Extreme HSI (10Mbps/1Mbps/95GB). Few weeks ago I went to the Internet and looked for the specs of the Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 that I have (http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPC2100.html#~features). According to the specs, the modem can handle 43Mbps downstream and 10Mbps upstream ... that is, more than enough for handling the Extreme Plus HSI (25Mbps/1Mbps/125GB). So, I went to MyRogers (Sep 25th) and submitted a Change Tier/Plan online. Immediately the modem went through some handshake and in a matter of a couple of minutes I was getting 25Mbps of connection (tested many times with the Rogers Speed Test). Worth note that the online process informed me that my modem was compatible and that I didn't need to buy another modem (option to buy the $199 gateway was even disabled). I used that speed for a few days (3 or 4 days if I'm not mistaken) until one day when I arrived from work and realized that the Internet was not that fast. Did the Rogers Speed Test and guess what? I was back to the 10Mbps. Called the call center and since then it is only frustration. Right now I'm subscribing to the Extreme Plus but on the 18Mbps/1Mbps/95GB configuration (what Rogers agent called the granddad of the current Extreme Plus configuration). Nobody from Rogers has given me a proper solution and nobody explains how it worked. It is always the same mantra ... buy the SMC gateway. Well like most of people on this thread, I don't like SMC, I don't like combo devices, I have my own excellent wi-fi router and I don't want to pay more $199. So, how can Rogers help me? According to them, they can't. Smiley Sad

netcerebral
I've Been Around

Totally agree with skutflut - it's easy to upgrade my service to Ulitimate but I was given two options to either buy a DOCSIS modem or keep my existing for $7 a month, which I assumed was supported since the option was available. Well, day 5 with Ultimate and speedtest.com shows I'm only doing 10 Mpbs up and 1 Mbps down...

Now that I've read these forums I know I have to buy some hardware to suppliment my $99 a month service.

Hey Rogers - do some UAT testing for usability on your website before you roll it out to production!!!

Now what do I do?

jeeleelee
I've Been Here Awhile

Check if fibe is available in your area...
revg
I've Been Around

Is it posiible to switch from lite package to express withput upgrading  WIRELESS N GATEWAY MODEM? I already have a router which works just fine so I don't any point in upgrading...