New Internet packages? Rocket WiFi Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Internet packages? Rocket WiFi Modem?

@trimaican wrote:

Yea thats exactly my beef they sold me on a 150Ignite package when I moved into my building including the new rocket modem.

The technician came, installed everything, which I then asked so thats the rocket modem? He said yes.

I checked it afterwards and it was the CGN3.

thats frustrating to me, now i have to wait for one to come in stock and do the swap. Went with rogers over bell as the bell reps only nock against rogers was the inferior modem and the usual cable slowdowns argument. figured with this new modem I can see if thats proven wrong (at least for me).  Just hate to be mislead and not advised on it.  You don't have the rocket modem, let people know. and put a note on their account to contact them when they come in.  10points to you. 

Speed wise, there will be NO difference between the two, at least in terms of capability of internet.

100mbps, the N portion of the CGN3 is more than capable of.. the only thing the rocket modem gains, is that it has AC on it.  Which yes itself can be faster than N... BUT your internet is not that fast.  Only thing that it would make a difference on is internal PC to PC transfer, etc.

"usual cable slowdowns argument"

Its interesting to see bell is still using that argument against rogers 😛
Can rogers have other issues which slow it down/have problems? (singnal level, etc) yeah.
But the slow down part.. generally DOESNT exist anymore.  Its the whole reason why a few years ago, the swich over to the DOCSIS 3 modems.. before that all were 1 channel.. everyone was fighting for the same one lane road.  With the D3 4 and 8 channels, practially removed all that.   Now with the CGN series being 24.. that 'slowdown' shouldnt exist under most circumstances

bspeelz
I Plan to Stick Around

Sigh this is the lesson learned for procrastination and not paying attention.  I can't believe the only options to change my internet subscription  to are 3 Rogers Ignite packages with a bunch of add ons I am not interested in.   Only 3 options?  Really?   

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

250u/20
100u/10
60/10

30/5

This is not that much different than the previous hybrid plans

250/20

150/10
60/10

30/5

10/2

Really just lost the SLOWEST plan.

There wasnt more plans than that other then the previous plan range, with express, extreeme, etc.
(and comparing $, most of the hybrid plans for within $5+ are often up to 4x as  fas as those older older plans)

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

250u/20
100u/10
60/10

30/5

This is not that much different than the previous hybrid plans

250/20

150/10
60/10

30/5

10/2

Really just lost the SLOWEST plan.

There wasnt more plans than that other then the previous plan range, with express, extreeme, etc.
(and comparing $, most of the hybrid plans for within $5+ are often up to 4x as  fas as those older older plans)

Wasn't the old 150 plan 15 up?

I think the ignite 250 is way better than the hybrid fibre 250. 

But the 150 plan is where the ball was dropped - for around $75 + modem rental (or not, for fools like me who bought CGN3s), the old plan gives you 150/15/550GB (if you are eligible for the 200GB bundle offer). The new 100u plan is $85 incl. modem rental, and you get 100/10, but unlimited bandwidth. A better deal if you need more than 500GB/month, sure, but otherwise worse... 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you neede more than the 550, the new 100u is a good price for that speed for unlimited (vs the 150 price + 25 for unlimited)  But you are right, its a fair speed hit.
Maybe it should have been like inbetween.. like 120 or something.

Really comes down to WHAT the person is using it for, etc.

I think that these plans were more geard towards the cord cutting croud.

Sure the extra speed could be benificial..

But the unlimited is a big perk.. as well the 'extras'.  For a cord cutter.. for only a few $ more than the hybrid in some cases (or the same).. your also getting Shomi (so another streaming service to watch shows on), as well as GCL for hockey fans.
Getting those seperately, are like $25ish or so a month combined.

Exrobbers
I Plan to Stick Around

If this is on wireless, do you have access to a program like inSIDDER to see what the wifi network channels are in use around you? Are you trying this on the 2.4 or 5 GHz?
kevinwayne57
I've Been Around

How did using your old Hitron moden save some $$$ on monthly cost? I was told that I still had to pay the bundle price even if I used my own modem?

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@kevinwayne57 wrote:

How did using your old Hitron moden save some $$$ on monthly cost? I was told that I still had to pay the bundle price even if I used my own modem?

If you're on the old Hybrid Fibre or the even older Express/Extreme/Extreme Plus/Ultimate plans, then you get a discount for not renting a modem...

If you're on the Ignite plans (the current in-market ones), then you don't.

(This is the main reason why I'm still on the HF 150/550GB - since I never use more than 150-200GB, the Ignite plans would be a very bad deal for me)

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

kevinwayne57:

VivienM is correct. I have the Hybrid 150/15 550GB plan, with a purchased CGN3, and it's a better deal than the Ignite packages. In fact, the closest Ignite plan is only 100mbps, a step down from150mbps, but it has unlimited downloads.

rickyleung90
I've Been Around

Thinking of switching to the Ignite 100u plan. Wondering if I can buy the modem out right and pay a reduced monthly fee? I am paying $75 for Teksavvy and if Rogers can match that price I will swtich. I don't mind buying the Hitron CGN3 or whatever they use out right.

Also, I think the modem also support Wifi, how good is the Wifi compared to a good router like RT-AC66U?