cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Internet PLAN & Pricing Comparison

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wanted to create this thread, to help people compare the new plans, vs their OLD plans.

Old Packages Cost New Packages Cost
Ultimate 250/20 @1tb 127.49 + rental Hybrid Fibre 250/20 @ 500gb 99.99
Old Ultimate 150/10 @250g 127.49 + rental Hybrid Fibre 150/15 @ 350gb 85.99
Extreme Plus 45/4 @ 150g 79.49 + rental Hybrid Fibre 60/10 @ 120gb 69.99
Extreme 35/3 @100g 69.49 + rental    
Express 25/2 80g 56.49 + rental  Hybrid Fibre 30/5 @ 70gb  61.99
Lite 6/.5 20g 45.99 + rental Hybrid Fibre 10/1 @25 51.99

+ 10 (bundled) or + 30 not for unlimited - New prices include rental  
    - +15 for +200gb usage  
    - +25 for unlimited  

Its hard to do a DIRECT comparison.. as they have sort of moved som plans inbetween.  Tried to align them as best capable.

(EG: 60/10 falls USAGE wise inbetween extreeme and extreeme plus... BUT is faster than both)

At least according to the website, it says MODEM RENTAL included.
In MOST cases... this requires the new CGN3 gateway (you can still always bridge mode it)

My understanding is.. that you will see the modem still as its own rental line, charged, but the plan line slightly less.
So this is more of the final combined price.

People with 3 services (tv & home phone as well) SHOULD be capable of getting the bonus 200g addon included.

Unlimited addon, has increased to $25 for everyone, but you can buy the 200g increase for $15 as well (or might get it included as above) which might end up then with enough usage.

---------------------------

Comparing thing.. i moved to the 30/5 from express.  For this one, costs maybe $2 more.. but get the down and up slight increase.. plus i was elligible for the 200g free, which would cover my usage needs. (vs i paid for the old unlimited)

People who are on the CURRENT unlimited but still stuck on the 150 (250 not available yet), is a HUGE savings!

People who are on the 250.. with the 1tb usage... STILL might be worth switching to the new 250 plan..  while the base usage is 500.  I beleive, the base + 25 for unlimited, is still a few $ cheaper.

***edited labels***

124 REPLIES 124

Re: New Internet PLAN & Pricing Comparison

sophiako
I've Been Here Awhile

I have just upgraded my internet plan from hi-speed express to extreme, but just noticed on the Rogers.com website that there is a new plan called Hybrid Fiber 60.  The new Hybrid Fiber 60 with 120GB plan costs $69.99 which I believe it's the same price as the Extreme. I wonder what's the difference between the plan, and what do I need to move to the new hybrid plan?

I switched to the fibre 30 this morn.

The only stipulation is that you need to rent/buy the new cgn3 :(. So that may be a few more $ modem rental.

The usage for extreme is how much?
The new plan has 120g (so not sure if a loss/gain)

Beyond that, that's all you should need to switch.

sophiako
I've Been Here Awhile

it's almost the same price for 120GB.  Extreme with 120GB is $67.99 & the Hybrid Fiber 60 with 120GB is $69.99. 

So, my understanding is I need to switch to the new Advanced wi-fi modem which costs $4 more per month for rental.  But, what's exactly the benefits for switching to the Hybrid fiber plan?  any idea?

that its called hybrid fibre.. really doesnt mean anything..

the rogers network as a whole is hybrid fibre already now, before the name change.

So in the end.. you will be paying 2+4 = $6 more a month for the new plan.

Benifits?  Almost doubleing your downlaod speed, and more than doubling your upload speed.
Soo.. if that is worth $6 to you 🙂

If not.. you are able to grandfather your existing one you just changed to ongoing without issue.

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

All packages are flagged as "modem rental included" not "modem rental extra" http://www.rogers.com/web/content/internet-packages

I would hold them hard and fast to that line.

Yeah I saw that too.
When I called to switch to the 30/5, they said its extra..

With the promo price I got on it, was still a deal, so even with the modem rental, would be fine.
I will have to wait for the first bill, see if I am charged for it, and if the site still list it that way, fight for it.

wayner92

I assume that Teksavvy, et al, will have to respond, especially at the higher end tiers.  Teksavvy's 150/10 300GB bundle doesn't look so good compared to Rogers' 150/15 350GB (modem included) package for $1 less per month.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor
I am sure the likes of Teksavvyy, Start, etc would love to respond, but they still have a major hurdle to clear which is the is no approves modem for TPIA to provide the speeds higher than 150/10

TeDD13
Thanks, GdKitty for an excellent comparison tool. I will also make switch later today. Was craving for a 60/10 package for a while, but it was only available for business customers before.

wayner92

I understand that they may not be able to offer faster download speeds but they can compete in other ways like pricing and data caps.  Could they not also compete on upload speeds as can't the existing modems give more than 10 Mbps upload?

kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

I am completely confused (and a little angered) at this new pricing structure;

Currently, I am on the Ultimate plan (150/10).  I tried to change to the Ultimate 250/20 when it was first offered but according to my postal code look up I was not able to so I assume that is because Rogers does not have updated equipment in my area.  So, I was paying the same price for a "lesser" service which I thought was unfair and believed that there should have been a "tier" introduced in between.  However, I went on.

Now today I notice these new prices for internet.  According to my postal code look up for availablilty, I cannot get the Hybrid 250/20 nor the Hybrid 150/15, yet I'm able to get the same download as the Hybrid 150 with my current Ultimate plan.  Doesn't make sense to me.

What the heck is "hybrid" fibre?  I'm getting the same download speeds with my "Ultimate" package but not "hybrid"-ly?  Why must I pay an extra $50 a month for similar download speeds and lower upload speed? There should be a different pricing structure for customers like myself who do not have the required infrastructure in the area (through no fault of there own).

I have 4 services with Rogers, I would hope that package adjustments would be reviewed for existing customers especially from a cost savings scenario (to the customer) instead of charging regular (and in this case exhorbitant) prices and wait for the loyal customer to notice and call in.

I'm very annoyed.

wayner92

Hybrid Fibre is a marketing term, just like Bell Fibe.  There is no difference compared to what they have offered for years other than chaning the tiers they sell to consumers.

The new Hybrid 150 is the same as the old Ultimate 150 that you are on.

How is this not better than what you have today as the list price for the old Ultimate was $125 + modem rental for 150/10 with a 250 GB cap.  (Maybe you have a grandfathered plan or a special deal?)

You will now be on the Hybrid Fibre 150 that is 150/15 with 350GB/month for $86 including modem rental.

So why are you "a little angered" to be paying about $45/month less for the same download speed, 50% more upload speed and 40% more data per month?

The only downside is that you may have to get a new modem.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
As wayner said, it's just a name change.

The lookup thing might not be working 100% as you are on the 150 now.

You should be able to switch no problem. The only thing as mentioned was modem. While I think you could get the ultimate 150 with the cgn2, etc... For the new one you would have to go to the cgn3.

kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm a little angered because I can guarantee that I most certainly would not be automatically changed to the hybrid 150 price of 86 by Rogers without calling in to customer relations and complaining.  As I said in my post, I was stuck paying the same price for 150/10 as "eligible" customers were paying for 250/20 and Rogerd didn't offer to properly adjust pricing (via credits or otherwise). I'm not even convinced that I can get this package due to this "availablilty"

However, I will call and see.....

kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around
It seems rather silly that I would have to change modems for essentially a 5 Mbps upload increase.

wayner92

@kgrosvold - I agree that there is little incentive to chagne you modem but they seem to want everyone to move to the new modems.  And if Rogers is following their past practices then you will have to call in to change your service.

Regarding whether this offer is available to you - again this is just a rebranding exercise.  I fail to see how the Hybrid Fibre 150 would not be available to you.

kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks all for replies.

In conclusion, if I am able to get on to the new packages, you"re right I will be extremely happy considering that my costs will go down quite a bit.  I'm just nervous that I can't, so we shall see......

While your modem is likely capable for those speeds..  and even at the 250 range (when its available in your area)..
The differences come down to HOW the modem gets those speeds.

The other modems, while they can achive those speeds often, the way they do it, is spreading out the usage across multiple channels.

Most of rogers other modems, are  8 downstream, and 4 upstream.
The new CGN3, is 24x8.
It is allowed to then spread that usage, across MORE channels.

What does this mean to the end user? Not a bunch, unless you are in an area of heavy congestion.  This is where you would notice a big difference with more channels.
(this is why the big push from the docsis 2 to 3 modems... as most of the D2 ones are SINGLE channel only)

kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

I phoned into Rogers Customer Care and my fears are confirmed.

First, I do feel sorry for the CCRs as Rogers pushes these new packages through and these individuals do not receive the proper training (or so it appears).

The CCR said that this package is not showing as being available in my area right now, check back later.

I asked how that is possible as I am already obtaining a 150 Mbps download speed and I also asked for an explanation of hybrid fibre.  The person could not help me.

To me, this is unacceptable.  I'm expected to continue paying a higher price for the same quality of service/speed (minus of course 5 Mbps upload speed) until I magically appear in their system as being able to change to the "hybrid" technology.

I could live with what I have now (150/10) no problem, but don't shove more desirable packages in my face that are CHEAPER, tell me that I can't get these packages, and have the "too bad, so sad" attitude about it.

The right thing to do would be to find some "common ground" and attempt to bring my current pricing in line with the new.

jays77

Can't see any benefits to us budget customers who only would like some increased bandwidth.. I already get 25 gb/month, have no contract, an old modem/gateway that is paid for and for the most part has been quite reliable. I don't need more speed. Just would like a bit more bandwidth,

And yet they keep sening these ads saying they going to save me money if I spend more.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats