New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

Does anyone know if we will ever be able to record more than 2 channels at once.  Also was hoping the current channel listed would get recorded as well but does not.  The old box would always go to channel 950 but this one always sticks on channel 1 when playing back a recorded show. 

So to record more than 2 shows I need 2 PVR instead of the single one.  Was trying to get away from that with the Whole House and reap some of the savings but I guess I am wrong there.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I am able to record 3 shows at once right now on my 8642 HD PVR with the new IPG. I have been recording over 2-3 shows for the past 3 weeks with the new ipg.

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree,  it is far to slugish and deleting is a pain in the **bleep**.  Dont need prompts

I've Been Here Awhile

How are you able to record 3 shows, only gives me a message that 2 shows are already recording and pops up to fix conflicts.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I think that person was mistaken.  It's no change in that regard, 2 shows can be recorded whilst watching a 3rd one...or was it whilst watching one of them, I can't remember....well that's the way it is on my 8642HD.   I purposely tried just now to record 3 future programmes simultaneously and it popped up an error telling me to cancel one of them.

Bell's box allows more I know.    This one probably isn't capable of it, but you never know.

One thing I noticed last night was I no longer get asked a second time of it's OK to delete a recording.  Has the firmware gone through a minor update without me noticing?

Peter in Downtown T.O.

Peter
Toronto
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With the rogers.. at least currently (not sure if its software, or hardware driven), only has a tuner for two channels.. hence why we can only recorde/watch to live at a time (playback doesnt use a tuner).

My understanding is the box hardware tuner can only do two.. but i could be wrong.

Bells tuner may be different.. but how it gets its feed is also different.. (from the dish)

Bell Fibe looks interesting because it brings HD to anywhere without the need to be south-facing to accommodate a dish.  Their box can record 4 shows at once and at the moment offers more channels in HD than Rogers.  Unfortunately it isn't a choice in my building....yet, otherwise I would be seriously thinking of switching or at least doing some rather heavy negotiations with Rogers Customer Retention Dept.

;-)

Peter
Toronto
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What i dont like about fibe.. is.. its kinda a step back.

BELL FIBE IS GREAT, IT USES FIBRE OPTICS TO BRING THE HD FASTER AND BETTER.

Which is true.. fiber optics is one of the BEST choices for this..

BUT.  That only is Fibre Optic from bell to the closest node.

You then convert, to a single twisted pair copper, from there to your house.  Yes it is dedicated, compared to DSL and Phone shared line.  But still your steping down to switch it over to copper.  They need a be a little more upfront with their information about what you are getting.  Really its the same then sort of WIRED technology as rogers (twisted pair copper vs coax copper, but still), compared to satalite.  Its not TRUE fibre.

Unfortunately I know no-one who has it installed in order to check that out.

Was there a small update in the firmware do you know?  (Re: my earlier remark that deleting recordings no longer asks a second time for an OK).

Peter
Toronto
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Donno.. the wife normaly had the remote, so i dont always pay attention Smiley Tongue

I will try and take a peek tonight to see if it does or not.

So you are saying, that you click on delete, then it takes you back to your list, doesnt pop up the box saying it was deleted with the OK, etc?