cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers has excited me for the first time in a while . . . http://www.rogers-tv-enhancements.com/

***Edited labels***

326 REPLIES 326

Re: New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ghard1

Sounds like most of them ran into technician problems.. they all in the same area?? may be a bad set of technicians there.
Most people have had decent service from the technicians, its been the rogers back end problems with getting it activated there..

As for your knowing which PVR is which, there is the option to re-name each of the boxes (both the PVRs and the HD boxex) you can program a manual name, or choose from a list.   Settings > System > Box name.. instead of the default letters/number value.

The pvr extenders were never part of this package.. that i knew of.. unless there were specials that i missed.

I have not had an issue with my universal remote with the new one.. but it may varry from one remote to the next.

Not saying to not sugest it or not, thats your choice 🙂

In the end, regardless of the whole home PVR, i can potentialy see the new IPG being almost manditory.  It looks like they are phasing out the 8300pvr.  For the change over for some of the things like the callerID, etc.. there needs to be changes that its sent across digital.. and things like the 8300 may not support it under the new way without the new IPG.etc.

I beleive they are not pushing out the new IPG unless its asked for currently, so they are safe for now.

Im sorry to hear that they didnt like it overall.. i myself, even for the downfalls, feel the other one was worse (Im the other way.. i found the text on the old one  SOO big and SOO pixilated, on my 50" LED, it gave me a headache :P)

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
The PVR Extenders are ONLY when you sign up for a new year or 2 year term for Cable & internet with the new Nextbox...

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/next-box-2?cm_sp=homepage-post-_-nextbox-en-0212-_-slot1

They do not give free extenders to anyone that already had the HD PVR or HD box. We just got the upgrade for free & such.

kvkvkv
I Plan to Stick Around

i have learned my lesson about whole home pvr. it seems rogers is having another "rogers @home moment" ( their disastrous internet service from the past ) i have successfully gone back to the old system. i will not consider getting whole home pvr until i can physically go to a rogers or stereo/tv shop and see for myself that the following features work. ( currently they do not );

able to see on cable box screen 480i, 1080i, or 720p,

able to see titles on galaxie music channels

able to see lobby channel

able to see who is phoning or who has phoned me on screen

able to delete multiple episodes of show without cursor jumping to top of alphabetical list after deleting one only

able to simultaneously watch a recorded show on multiple tv sets throughout home like putting on a live channel on different tv's so no delay between sets,

able to see the duration of a show by pushing the info button like on old ipg ( only possible with guide on new setup ),

able to select one channel from mix channels such as 179.

able to set cable box to turn on and off automatically

fonts on guide should be at least as large as on old guide

playback was so unstable on whole home pvr, often the show would stop playing with no option to resume playing from where left off, 

those are the items on my checklist before i ever get this service again. buyer beware!!

avery
I've Been Here Awhile

We got the Whole Home PVR set up last week with one 8642 and one 4642 and up until now, it's been working great. The new guide is a major improvement, even though at times it is slow, as others have mentioned.

The issue we're having this morning is that on the 4642 box, we're unable to watch some seemingly random recordings from the PVR. We can browse the list, and everything shows up, but when you try to play certain shows it comes up with a message saying the show can't be played because it may have been deleted, or a lack of resources. Any of the recordings work fine on the PVR box

We haven't got a ton of stuff recorded yet to test it, but it's probably somewhere around 30% of the recordings that do this.. Anyone else having the same problem?

melcj90
I'm Here A Lot

I just got the new IPG couple of days ago. It's much better than the old one but once in while it turns my TV screen purple. The only way to make go back to normal is re boot the PVR. Which takes much longer time than older IPG. Anyone else has this problem? I really like the new IPG but if this problem doesn't go away I have go back to the older IPG unfortunately. I am using Cisco 8642 PVR.

kvkvkv
I Plan to Stick Around

try getting a description of a recorded show. you'll find it cut off. on a live tv channel the description scrolls but it won't do that on recorded shows and just cuts off part of the description.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you really need the whole description?

Yeah, sure, its something they should fix..

But is that really a deal breaker KV??  by the first few words of a synposis, you should be able to figure out if its recording A or B of a particular episode, etc.

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Trying PIP causes the box to reboot. Sorry if this has already been mentioned but the thread is rather long to read every single post.
Peter
Toronto

Minka
I've Been Here Awhile
I have Cisco PVR 8642 and I stumbled on the Lobbycam channel 988 yesterday. Lobby channel 998 never came through for me. Something changed after the upgrade.

@PMC

Just checked my PIP.  tried changing up 50 channels, and moved to all locations on screen, entered in and out of it 4 times.  Works fine here.

pmcsplaza

It works for me OK if I'm using Modern HD as my Appearance setting but crashes in the other one.

@minka:  the lobbycam's wont work until the landlord/condo owners employ digital equipment.   They should consult with Rogers on that..

Peter
Toronto

Modern HD is the default one, right?

Havent tried switchit it yet.. maybe will tonight, then give it a try, see if it fails on mine as well.

pmcsplaza
Sorry, I meant Classic HD - brain working back to front as usual. Yes Modern is the default. I actually prefer the Classic one.
Peter
Toronto

vip359
I've Been Here Awhile

When are they going to fix this IPG they have forced upon some of us?

TRIFORCE89
I'm Here A Lot

So, I have the new IPG applied to my older 8642 box. It seems like I have a lot less recording space than I did before.

Or at the very least, it stops recording anything when I have 20% space remaining. That's a significant reduction in the amount of space I have available. How do I fix this?

pmcsplaza

It shouldn't have changed the amount of space you have on the hard drive, however it may be overlooking any external drive you may be using.  Try powering off, unpluggiung the box, then the external drive.

Replug in the external drive and then replug in the box and see if it recognizes the space after booting.

If not perhaps time to call Tech Support.

Peter
Toronto

dog1
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anyone know if we will ever be able to record more than 2 channels at once.  Also was hoping the current channel listed would get recorded as well but does not.  The old box would always go to channel 950 but this one always sticks on channel 1 when playing back a recorded show. 

So to record more than 2 shows I need 2 PVR instead of the single one.  Was trying to get away from that with the Whole House and reap some of the savings but I guess I am wrong there.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I am able to record 3 shows at once right now on my 8642 HD PVR with the new IPG. I have been recording over 2-3 shows for the past 3 weeks with the new ipg.

falkirk1963
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree,  it is far to slugish and deleting is a pain in the **bleep**.  Dont need prompts

dog1
I've Been Here Awhile

How are you able to record 3 shows, only gives me a message that 2 shows are already recording and pops up to fix conflicts.

pmcsplaza

I think that person was mistaken.  It's no change in that regard, 2 shows can be recorded whilst watching a 3rd one...or was it whilst watching one of them, I can't remember....well that's the way it is on my 8642HD.   I purposely tried just now to record 3 future programmes simultaneously and it popped up an error telling me to cancel one of them.

Bell's box allows more I know.    This one probably isn't capable of it, but you never know.

One thing I noticed last night was I no longer get asked a second time of it's OK to delete a recording.  Has the firmware gone through a minor update without me noticing?

Peter in Downtown T.O.

Peter
Toronto
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats