New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

@leafs

I had the same, but a reboot fixed mine.

It may be something like a signal problem, etc.
Did you have a tech out to install the fiter yet?  They should have checked signal strength at that time... and if you havent, maybe can kill two birds with one stone? 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty

I tried rebooting several times and another time while on the phone with Rogers and still nothing. I don’t get it if it’s a signal problem because I received all of the channels before the upgrade and all my 8300HD unit is working fine.

Is the filter for the whole home PVR function? If so, I’m really not interested. I just want a PVR where I get all the channels I pay for. Smiley Happy

I don’t own the 8624HD, do you think Rogers will swap it for an older unit that doesn’t get this upgrade?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Simple question with the new IPG: How do you expand the channel guide listings to display more than 5 channels at a time? When I press Guide: The top half of my screen is black, the middle of the screen displays 5 channels only and the bottom half of the screen has the program description. Pressing guide again does nothing. I can not find any setup options to change this. I want the guide to FILL the screen with channels when I press it. Any ideas? Its an Explorer 4642HD btw. Thanks
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@leafs

They MIGHT.  you would have to inquire with them.  And you would have to make sure that there is a flag on your account, etc that it DOESNT push out the upgrade to you then.

As for the signal thing.. it is quite possible..  I had the regular HD box.. had it for 3 days with the old  IPG.. then it rebooted one night with the new one... suddenly lost a bunch of channels (rebooting didnt bring them back).  Tech came out.. and while the signal was good enough before.. after the update.. weither it requires a stronger signal, etc..  it wasnt now.  He re-aranged stuff and added a boster and we are all good now.

@ Sammy

That i know of, you can not have it show more than 5 (im on the default theme.. unless the alternate theme allows you too, not sure).

That does sound odd how yours is displaying though.   Mine, shows the 5 lines at the top of the screen, the channel playing currently in the bottom right corner and the channel info to the left of that... dont know why you have the black at the top.

In the long run.. we will have to see what their plans are overall for everything.
Currently.. the new IPG is only on the HD 8642 and the HD regular box. 
The 8300 is not getting it, etc... BUT, it appears they are more phasing those out of the game.. they are not listed as harware on rogers site anymore, etc.

The SD box, still has the old IPG.. will they drop the support on this as well eventualy? possibly.. (since the HD boxes can do SD connections as well)

While not imediate future.. i could see them saying "you need to upgrade to a specific level or hardware/IPG to be able to keep receiving TV" 😞

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@sammy12 wrote:
Simple question with the new IPG: How do you expand the channel guide listings to display more than 5 channels at a time? When I press Guide: The top half of my screen is black, the middle of the screen displays 5 channels only and the bottom half of the screen has the program description. Pressing guide again does nothing. I can not find any setup options to change this. I want the guide to FILL the screen with channels when I press it. Any ideas? Its an Explorer 4642HD btw. Thanks

You can't but if you click Page - (minus) or + (plus) rather than the down/up arrows you can jump 1 block at a time.

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

By the way I was just talking to them and they realize there are a few teething issues with the new firmware and all will eventually work as it should.
Once the 8300HD features such as QSG, Call Display and Lobby Cam etc. are converted to digital they will work - a new firmware will be issued when that happens.
The blacked out music channels apparently is the 'new look' for them. I've turned on my Info Bar at channel change as a result so at least I know where I'm going.

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ Gdkitty

I didn't realize that the new IPG could require a stronger signal. Thanks for the info! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Weither it truthfuly DOES or not??  I dont know, thats what i was told 😛

And when the tech came out, he bosted the signal and it fixed it.. so it may be worth it 🙂

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, tech was just out. Installed the filter. But no whole home yet 😞

Apparently the new IPG is not all that is needed, there is a sub update to it to allow the whole home. This update adds a little house icon below the power light, to show that it has the whole home.

He was unable to get it to pull the update, but this is something turned on at Rogers end, so could be a delay on it activating so the box can get it.

So it has been escalated, hopeful make someone push the right buttons to turn it on, and I have to keep trying to reboot the box if I want to, or it should grab it on its own over night once turned on at Rogers end.
Hopefully by tomorrow, last place he was at, took 3 hours and only the Reg he box got the update

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The other day had a Rogers contractor guy outside fiddling with the wires.  I called Rogers about it and they said I was getting an upgrade.  I figured cause I already have the 8642hd box that it would be that new IPG/UI thing.  Couple days past and I still don't see a difference.  I have unplugged my box and plugged it back in to see if that would work but nothing.  Is there a way to reboot it without unplugging it?  Plus when does it do its firmware update, around 1am or 2?  I do know that the day he was here I lost some channels but got them back after I unplugged it a couple of times.