New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

That's stoopid with a double oh. Not each set... each make/model...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@whatever

Yes.. that is quite possibly true.

But its not necessarily a failure.

This day and age.. everyone wants it and wants it now.  SOO many companys push out software and hardware out... FAST FAST FAST.. and is riddles with bugs and problems.

I would rather them take the time, and make sure that its working 100% before pushing it out, rather than push it out bugged.

Should they have maybe not set up dates till they knew it was working? sure.

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers had beta testing from Novemer until January where it was released. First batch was over 6,000 customer - these people (including myself have experience tremendous problems). Having had years to develop this, they should have done a better job. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have an 8300 & an 8642 purchased, I am very disappointed to have found the 8642 does not support te IPG. Upgrading to a newer model and I lose a great feature...come Rogers do something!!!
I'm a Trusted Contributor

You mean the QSG - none of the 8642's have that and the upcoming update wont have it either.

Peter
Toronto
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wenda

the new IPG will (or should be) out by the end of the month for the 8642 for the whole whome pvr aspect, its needed for this to work, which  you need that model to do it.

@Viking

No matter how much testing you do in house.. until you have live testing and having it hammered that way, its sometimes the only way to test something.
They released it to a smaller base to see how it goes.. from there they SHOULD be able to do updates to rectify it.

I have been a rogers internet user since the Beta of it (when it was only in one town, 50 users) so i have seen my fair share of it Smiley Tongue Smiley Happy

As for the QSG, my understanding is like PMC said.. the 8642 wont get the QSG... im trying to remember on my regular HD box with the new IPG, if it even has the QSG anymore. 
Well, everyone i know that is on rogers, HATES the QSG anyways Smiley Tongue

I have an 8300HD in the bedroom and it still has the QSG which I rarely use but I would like 2 things back if ever possible on the 8642HD, 1: Call Display and 2: ch: 998 the lobby channel for my building's lobbycam.

Those aren't available at present.

Peter
Toronto
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi pmcsplaza.

Not to get off topic, but in response to point#2:

Newer cable boxes/set-top boxes (STB) do not contain an analogue tuner and thus will not be able to
tune into the Lobby Watch Station, which is an analog signal.  

What you can do is connect a splitter to your incoming cable, with one end into the STB and the other end
into the back of the TV's RF coaxial input.  

To view the lobby cameras, simply change your TV's video input source from Cable Box to TV Tuner
and change to channel 59 on your TV set (not the cable box).

That's what I did already but thought that the lobby cam was digitial anyway on 998 on (as it is on the 8300HD) and 59 on basic cable?

Peter
Toronto
I Plan to Stick Around

998 is just a remap of analog 59, they just move it's channel number. allowing a digital station to be put where analog 59 is on the digital station line up.

The only way for lobby cams to work with new hardware from rogers is if you building upgrades to a QAM digital service. Ask your landlords if they plan to upgrade the system to function with the new change over to digital cable from rogers.

Tell them they need to install a device such as a Nano-sized Digital Video Insertion System - RF Out (DVISn)

http://www.atxnetworks.com/pdf/ANW0825_MDU_DVISn_RF_Specs.pdf?phpMyAdmin=ZOAtC9Suf56HkZODVHdm3Sq28Z2

"The Nano (DVISn) is the most cost-effective solution within the DVIS line of products for inserting locally generated content (e.g. security camera, localized advertising) to an MDU in digital format (MPEG-2 / QAM). It is ideal for applications requiring a low-cost, basic solution for insertion into a blank QAM or at the spectrum edge. This extremely compact & wall mountable form factor fits into virtually any space and includes fully integrated audio/video encoders, multiplexer & QAM modulator/RF upconverter"