New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

I have been a customers of Rogers for over a decade and so I feel I understand them well enough.  And believe me I have been screwed over by them enough times.  Having said that, as an owner of a 8642 I am happy.

By the way, the installation is not "just setting up a box".  A filter must be installed so your network does not interfere with the entire neighbourhood.  I am thinking someone else needs to do a little reading.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I know what needs to be done. Like i said my uncle works For Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh my! You have no clue. My uncle works for Rogers therefore I am an expert?!?! Are you in grade 5? Anyway, i was just posting some news I thought some people would be interested in. I am done with this thread.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

To be honest this is not any good news anyways like you have read. Not everyone will be happy & seeing as we are able to post if we like it or not you replied saying that we are wanting things for free. So i replied back. Seeing as you are talking about a fliter i replied.

No i am not in grade 5 nor do i think i am an expert.

Anyways Rogers needs to do a bit more changing & let ts current costumers get a discount that own a older model box. I find that fair enough.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Believe it or not, there are actually 2 filters.   One of them which is the one were traditionally used to seeing, is for blocking out the analog channels you are not subscribed to, this one is being phased out with the switch to the digital, it will become obsolete  your box will now block or allow which channels you are subscribed to.

The OTHER filter the tech installs is a special filter, designed to keep the MoCA frequencies the boxes communicate with each other within your house and not leak into your neighbourhood node.   The MoCA filter IS MANDATORY FOR WHOLE HOME PVR. as  the boxes will have better use of the cable network, they will transmit locally within your cable network instead of to the head end and back again, thus a more efficient use of cable spectrum.   Taking the MoCA filter off WILL INDEED cause signal leakage to your neighbours as the cable is 2-way medium.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ IHR

You can sign up with Bell and get a PVR for free for 3 years just like a cell phone. Same if you jump ship from Bell to Rogers.

And what happens when you buy an iPad and a new iPad comes out with better screen, new features ? Or if you buy a laptop and new and better technology comes out ? What happens when you buy a car and a few months later better features and technology comes out ? Technology will always evolve. By purchasing hardware you run the risk of locking yourslef in...

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yea Pauly i know that but i have seen people use the box without the filter that blocks the channels & is fine. The other filter will have leakage but he never explained which filter he was talking about before.

Not really. Rogers charges you for the PVR & for the HD box. This is something a lot of people ar mad at.

Anyways lets stay on topic here please. Like i said the things Rogers is doing with this is alright move but will not get many people happy.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

meow mix, it wont be a problem right away, but the minute a neighbour on your street also gets a 8642 pvr, he will have access to your device and vice a versa, and it will be a headache for rogers to fix, theyre gonna have to do visits and probaly yell at clients who remove the filters. so if no one on your street has 8642, then having no filter will not pose any problems just yet, but it will once neighbours change and upgrade, so its NOT ADVISABLE

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for posting this.  It's a shame that it degarded to an argument over the 50 dollar installation fee and the fact that if you bought a 8300 you should get some bonus.

I'm surprised this hasn't been added to the Rogers Redboard.

I've been dying for a whole home PVR solution, I just hope the main box is a lot more responsive than the 8300 that I'm currently renting (the thing is a pile of junk)

I Plan to Stick Around

It is not clear from the communicatons on how this works.

I have one of the 8642 units, one 8300 HD PVRs and then an older SD digital box (non PVR).

Will having the one 8642 units allow viewing recorded programs on the 8300 HD and the older SD box at all or must all units be the newer HD/digital boxes?

Terry