New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

Rogers has excited me for the first time in a while . . . http://www.rogers-tv-enhancements.com/

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New IPG and Whole Home PVR!

Glad you're excited kibosh because I am not. First of all, you need the 8642 PVR to even consider whole home PVR. For those of us who went out and bought the 8300 model at a cost of up to $500, we are up a creek without a paddle! What are we supposed to do now - but or rent  the newest 8642 - the one that does not even support TV call display? Great news indeed from Rogers! Not!

Then there is the matter of the IPG. From what I have seen here, "it appears their are still no channel icons, and they are still using stupid 5 character channel acronyms. Can they not put the full name of the channel next to the channel number with the appropriate icon?"

Then there is the matter of the $50 installation fee! So, if we already purchased an 8300 model PVR, we now must go out and get a new PVR and pay installation as well. Not to mention across the board price increases on March 1. Oh yes, I am really excited! Rogers can take their whole home PVR and stuff it!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Honestly its not worth it unless you want to spend so much money & installation fees just to have it. I have the 8642 PVR & even i am thinking of not doing this. Why would Rogers charge us installation fees meanwhile we pay $50 to 120 a month on cable bills. This is another way of Rogers getting money from the people..

Also about call display its not really an issue for a lot of people but Rogers needs to actually sit down & think for once to fix this & add it for the new boxes.. I guess who ever is in charge of the department is to lazy..
I'm a Senior Advisor

Exactly. They will charge us the extra $50 because they are Rogers and because they can! They are not called Robbers for nothing!

I Plan to Stick Around

It is unfortunate that you and many others are "stuck" with the 8300. But technology will always evolve. It is the same with cell phones, computers etc. Like people "stuck" with older cell phones and tablets there are two choices: stick with old technology or purchase new. The 8300 does not have the hardware to support whole home pvr.
I'm a Senior Advisor

So what's your point? When your cell phone contract is up and you wish to upgrade to the latest technology, the new phone comes either free or at a very low cost on a new 3-year plan!  When I need a new computer I can shop around at various places and get the best deal possible, and believe me there are good deals out there! But if I need a new PVR, I have no choices except to pay the price dictated by Rogers - and for a new PVR that will run over $500 a pop!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

who cares about the no channel icons, it would be more hassle and headache than ever to keep them up to date

we need a (HD) symbol next to the station with HD broadcast instead of the cramming the letters H or HD infront of the call letters.  now were talking

I'm a Senior Advisor

Maybe some of us would like to see the channel identified in a better way than it is now. Perhaps you have memorized all 600-700 channel acronyms, but most of have not! I do agree that something that would identify the HD channels would be good too!

I Plan to Stick Around

Why not be excited?  This addresses many issues people have wanted for a while with the 8642 like a widescreen IPG and  whole home PVR.  I do have a 8642 and have been living with it for a year and a half while people with a 8300 have been at least able to do a half decent search!!

Just because you have a 8300 you want a free upgrade?  Sorry, but it's obvious Rogers just can not do ANYTHING right in some peoples eyes.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

@Kibosh. You might not understand this because Rogers has not screwed you over YET but as a Cable Provider they do need to AT LEAST provide a discount to the ones that own the 8300. Rogers should be able to either wave the fee OR charge less to the ones that have the older boxes. It makes sence unless you like being ripped off from Rogers. I know Bell does this & so does a few Cable providers in the states.

No one here said to get the box for free maybe you need to read a bit better. All we said is the installation fee should not be charged seeing as all they are going to do is set up a box. My uncle works for Rogers & you know how many times people have complained about this issue? Yet Rogers seems to not Care because all the want it MONEY.

Yes it does address many issues PEOPLE want BUT that does not mean everyone is going to be happy & jumping with joy because of this. Rogers does only a few good things to people. Look at bells cable for instance they are a bit better then Rogers is they actually have a better tech support then Rogers. It took Rogers 8 weeks for a tech to come to my house & install a cable line. 8 WEEKS. Does that sound good or bad? OF course i was charged for the 2 months i never had cable so yea. I called in & complained & all i got was " i am sorry but this is how the tech works" That was a lie seeing as it does not take 8 weeks for them to show up to add cable. I am not rich or poor but i rather be with a cable provider that will do its work & provide some sort of discounts if you have a old box. My sister in law that has Bell cable it took them 5 days to show up & do everything FOR FREE. No Charge for installation or the box. She also got 3 months of free Service with them as well.  I guess you really need to understand it more. Go google about Rogers cable & see how many people are un happy.