New Hitron WiFi Modem limiting Hard Wired Connection to 30ish mbps supposed to get 60 mbps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Hitron WiFi Modem limiting Hard Wired Connection to 30ish mbps supposed to get 60 mbps

for me -- it is the modem -- i bypassed my 100mbps hub and directly connected to the router and got my proper 60 Mbps download speed --

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Hitron WiFi Modem limiting Hard Wired Connection to 30ish mbps supposed to get 60 mbps

There is a CGN3 firmware bug that throttles down any 10/100 Mb/s device or cable down to approx 35 Mb/s, no matter what plan you are on.

Have a look at my CGN3 summary on the following page, which will hopefully provide further explanation for you and how to work around the bug.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

There is an upcoming firmware update, which will hopefully be release before the end of the year.  The update should fix this particular bug and hopefully address latency within the CGN3 itself.

Fwiw, this modem will run at higher speeds without any issue.  I run the 250 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up plan and see 328 Mb/s down and 21 Mb/s up on a speedtest with Rogers and Speedtest.net

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am gald this is a bug -- I am also glad that Rogers is doing the right thing and only charing thier customers affected by this bug, that they pushed down to the users, for the capacity they are recieving -- aka -- 30 Mbps --  so basically a $10 a month discount for as long as this bug exists.

They ARE doing that right?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No they are not.

Because the modem IS delivering the right speed to the device.
And can deliver the proper speeds with the right connection to it.

You can try and call and complain and get a discount, etc. But it's not automatic.
As they can not tell who is really being effected or not directly.