New Hitron WiFi Modem limiting Hard Wired Connection to 30ish mbps supposed to get 60 mbps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

New Hitron WiFi Modem limiting Hard Wired Connection to 30ish mbps supposed to get 60 mbps

Problem:  Signed up for the new Rogers 60 mbps speed but am only getting 30ish on the bandwidth speed tests with the new hitron modem.  I am directly connected to the modem with a Cat6 cable.

I connected with Rogers through the online chat.  I think I only waited 4 minutes which is a lot better than calling through the phone.  I was told I needed a GB ethernet card and that there will be a modem upgrade at some point to resolve the problem.

However, as it turns out my Dell Studio XPS did have a GB ethernet card in it.  The driver was a little out of date so I updated it, rebooted everything and tried again.  But the download bandwidth speed remains the same.  I just checked my network card setting and it is set to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.  I tried the auto setting and achieved the same results.

I am pretty sure Rogers has me limited to the 30mbps that I used to have and has to make a change on their end to free up the bandwidth.

On the bright side my upload speed has improved from a 2-3mbps to 11mbps so something has changed.

Is anybody else experiencing this issue?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Hitron WiFi Modem limiting Hard Wired Connection to 30ish mbps supposed to get 60 mbps

It does still sound, like you are hitting the 10/100 bug.   No matter the plan people with 10/100 devices can only max that speed on wired.

When you go into your network settings.. go to the adapter..

(on 7, control pannel, network and sharing center, change adapter settings)

double click on the wired adapter, should bring up the satus page

Under speed, does it show connected 1.0g  ??

Tried multiple ports on the back of the CGN3?  They should show ORANGE for gigabit, green for 10/100.

I know the cng3 can link at gigabit properly.. i have 3 of the 4 ports on mine, linked at gigabit...

I am on the 60/10 package as well.. and can pull a speedtest of 70-80 down (with speed boost)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Hitron WiFi Modem limiting Hard Wired Connection to 30ish mbps supposed to get 60 mbps

As Gkitty indicated, check the adapter connection rate through the control panel. That should match up with the port LED on the CGN3, Amber for 1 Gb/s connection, Green for 10/100 Mb/s (and therefore throttled down to 35 Mb/s by the CGN3).  If you are only getting 10/100 Mb/s and green LED, try a different ethernet cable.  Remember that the ports on both devices will auto-negotiate down to a connection rate they can work at if there happens to be any problem with the cable, or with the actual physical connection between the cable connector and device port.  The port on the CGN3 can't tell if the device or if the cable is limiting the connection rate to 10/100 Mb/s.  If you are using any surge arrester on the ethernet line, or RG6 cable, disconnect the cable from the surge arrester and go direct, port to port.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rlewis8 wrote:

Problem:  Signed up for the new Rogers 60 mbps speed but am only getting 30ish on the bandwidth speed tests with the new hitron modem.  I am directly connected to the modem with a Cat6 cable.

I connected with Rogers through the online chat.  I think I only waited 4 minutes which is a lot better than calling through the phone.  I was told I needed a GB ethernet card and that there will be a modem upgrade at some point to resolve the problem.

However, as it turns out my Dell Studio XPS did have a GB ethernet card in it.  The driver was a little out of date so I updated it, rebooted everything and tried again.  But the download bandwidth speed remains the same.  I just checked my network card setting and it is set to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.  I tried the auto setting and achieved the same results.

I am pretty sure Rogers has me limited to the 30mbps that I used to have and has to make a change on their end to free up the bandwidth.

On the bright side my upload speed has improved from a 2-3mbps to 11mbps so something has changed.

Is anybody else experiencing this issue?

If you log into My Rogers and view your Internet usage, what plan does it show you have?

(I'm just wondering if perhaps the provisioning system still thinks you're on your old plan...)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

SHOULDNT be still for the old plan tho

If hes getting 10+ on the upload.

I had the 30/5.. and it barely ever broke above 5... wouldnt be getting 11

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for those quick responses!!

I just took a quick look at the modem and it looks like the led is green.  The Cat 6 cable does look a little suspect and all I can read on the cable is Made in China.  The other markings are poorly printed.  I can't remember where I sourced the cable from in the first place.  I am going to replace the cable with a new Cat6 one and try again.  I will post up the result.

I will note that 2 of the other ports on the hitron had an amber light.  One was going to a new 8 port hub and the other I am not sure.  My house is somewhat wired with Cat 5/6 from the furnace room to the bedrooms.

I checked the adapter status page and it came out with a 100Mbps, with IPV4 but not IPv6.  It is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

It is late now and I will take a closer look tomorrow.  Thank you again for your welcomed advice.  Robert

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, yeah, the card SHOULD be gigabit

Only other thing, you said that there is stuff running through the house. 

Is the line between the CGN3 and this one your testing, going through the house?

The hosue wiring could be not up to snuff Smiley Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you replace that cable the end result will be interesting. Realtek controllers have proven to be a challenge to say the least. Some people have had no trouble with them, the vast majority have had problems, to the point in some cases of installing another non-Realtek gigabit network interface card in the pc. Have a look at the first three pages of the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/highlight/true...

Have you already used and / or tested the ethernet ports in the other rooms and do you know if they work properly?

I've Been Here Awhile

There was some great advice here and as it turns out the limitation was due to the cable.  Most likely a CAT5.

I replaced the cable with a new CAT 6 certified cable and SUCCESS.  I have 77.6 Mbps on the down and still 10.89 Mbps on the Upload.  Oh happy days.

As a side note a cable comes with the Modem but I did not use it becuase the modem is about 25' away so I just used the cable that I had and thought was a CAT 6 cable.  Apparently not.

I think the advice of checking the colour of the led for the RJ45 port on the back of the modem was excellent.  That made me think about the cable.  A few other people left notes about the cable and were bang on.

My PC incidates a 1.0 Gbps connection at my NIC card.  Oh happy days.

Thank you to everyone that replied !! Well done.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nice to see a plan come together Smiley Happy    You should be able reach a peak of approx 95 Mb/s for a download rate with speedboost kicking in.  That is of course assuming that the cable signal feed is ok.  If you look at your DOCSIS WAN page you should see the power levels on the downstream at 0 dBmV with a signal to noise ratio of 37 to 40 dB and 37 to 40 dBmV for power level on the upstream.  The limits are +/- 15 dBmV for downstream power and 36/37 to 51 dBmV on the upstream.