Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hitron Modem - Lan, Switch, HP Printer and VOIP issues - 2014.04.28th

Canuck_2014
I Plan to Stick Around

hi, 

upgraded to new Hiltron Modem - paid package is upto 150GB download

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

Using MAC, the LAN and both wifi access points (regular and 5G) are working fine. However, the LAN connection gets reduced alot when i use my D-link switch.  (D-Link 5-Port Ethernet Switch (DES-105)) I need the switch for my work VOIP phone which now does not work when i use the switch ???  Before, with the cisco modem, everything worked fine.

Options ?

As well, HP laptop does not recognize LAN connection or the 5G wifi access point. I use this laptop to connect to TV for Netflix but now unable to get a solid connection for this purpose.

Also, HP printer does not recognize wifi from new modem. (a small issue with a fix im sure, but another issue none the less)

Furthermore, IPAD recognizes both wifi signals, however IPHONE only recognizes non-5G signal. (resulting in low speeds)

LASTLY, Samsung galaxy 2 phone does recognize 5g wifi signal. 

Conclusion:

x2 rogers field guys, and technical guy have been to house and to box down the street.

Here is where i am with no solution from Rogers.

Functioning mac computer but no switch to use for VOIP phone. A laptop that can't connect via LAN, and uses the reduced wifi at low, low speeds. HP printer is unable to detect wifi signal.

From my understanding, Rogers released a new product that is not recognized by all devices. Customers were not informed of this issue or as well their own Rogers field reps (thus un able to fix problem). I live in Ottawa, and i'm sure i can't be the first customers with devices uanble to recognizing the new modem (either LAN or by wifi). 

To add insult to frustration, Rogers provides absolutely no documentation for new modem, NONE. No software, no instruction, nothing. I had to dig on the web to find the Hitron manual. Horrible customer service. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: New Hitron Modem - Lan, Switch, HP Printer and VOIP issues - 2014.04.28th

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, lets start from the begining.

How long ago did you get the modem?  Has it been upgraded to the latest firmware (should be 4.2.4.3).  You can check this by loging into it, and on the first page, should show the SW ver.
This modem had alot of issues in general with the wired ports.. leading up to  when this version was released.

Does your voip phone work ok, when into the hitron directly? (just for testing purposes).
From a few other posters.. i have seen a FEW cases, where plugging in 10/100 only devices, seem to run into issues... comparatively when plugging in a 10/100/1000 device is perfectly fine.
The DES-105 is only a 10/100 switch, so this might be partially whats happening.
(Using a 10/100/1000 switch might have better results.. i am using 2 of them at my place with the hitron without an issue.. one a dlink, the other an ASUS)

The HP not recognising the LAN connection, not sure without seeing more info on the laptop (no static address entered, etc).... but the it not seeing the 5g doesnt supprise me.  For in laptops, i would say more than 3/4 of them, still do not have dual band cards in them... so its not likely that it will see the 5g.

I would question the same way, with the iphone.  Which model iphone?  Not sure if any of them, before the 5, had both bands for wifi.

Your printer, i am going through similar, since introducing my new AP in my house.. may be more printer side, needing a reset, etc.. will let you know when i get that sorted.

Canuck_2014
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the info !

Answers:

- Got modem 4 days ago, 

- SW ver - ill check later tonight

- Laptop = HP Pavilion g6-1b74ca Notebook PC - 64 Bit

- spec listing shows Network card = Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN - problem ?

- voip into wall directly - check later tonight

Thanks again.

4 days ago.. SHOULD Have been up to the new firmware.
But again.. i have heard a few cases of where 10/100 stuff not connecting/linking properly.

From what i can see, that HP's wireless cards (two possible ones), dont look like they support the 5g connections.

The LAN card.. if only 10/100.. yeah, could be the same issue as the switch, not connecting properly at 10/100.

senordd
I Plan to Stick Around
I have a 5ghz router that I'm using as a wifi extender and I've discovered that many older devices, including the iPhone 4 don't work on it. IPhone 5 works on it fine. You won't know that it doesn't work until you try to connect to it as the access point still shows up on the list of networks.

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Not all wifi cards are built the same way. Some cards only support 2.4GHz, some will support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Also, not all cards will support 450mbps speeds. Low energy cards will only connect at 72mbps or 150mbps for example. You will need to do some research to find out what kind of WiFi your devices have, and what speeds they operate at. 

OK, got my wireless printer re-setup.

Being WIRELESS only... it had stored in it, the OLD SSID of my previous wireless.  WIth no display, etc on the printer, no way to change it easy.
Had to do a FACTORY RESET on the printer, put it back to default values.

From there, ran the HP setup software, which went out, found the printer, etc. then set it up to my new wireless network.

Canuck_2014
I Plan to Stick Around

- Checked SW ver. - it was the old version.

Spoke to Rogers last night, they said it usually takes 48 hrs after purchase.

I told them i had it for 5 days and x2 tech guys came by, and as well i've spoKe to numerous techs over the phone in 5 days.

i then asked "HOW WAS I THE FIRST TO FIND OUT THE SW VER OF FIRMWARE WAS OUT OF DATE ????!??!?!?!?!?. they then issued a ticket to update the firmware in 24 hrs, (thanks Gdkitty)

Note: VOIP phone does work w/out switch directly in wall. So, i just order online a new D-link switch 

http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-solutions/connect/switches/dgs-105-5-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch

.... hopefully this allows me to both use the phone and connect via LAN to get speed i'm paying for.

...now i'm waiting to see if the new firmware fixes my other devices issues (HP laptop and iphone). Who knows if rogers will actually update it on time.

i'll tried the printer fix tonight,

keep ya posted.

Odd, yeah, that you didnt get the SW yet... unless with the stuff the techs were doing out, RESET the timer, so to speak. Hopefully you get it soon.

The gigabit switch, should be benificial anyways for you there.. max out your speeds at that location.

As for WIRELESS issues.. it wont change anything on that. (nor is there really anything TO change on it).

You never did say, which model iphone you do have.  Some dont have the 5g range cards in them. Like your laptop doesnt.

(the wired on the laptop, is another different issue)

Canuck_2014
I Plan to Stick Around

iphone = 4s

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Yeah pretty sure the 4s does not have the 5g wireless in it.
The 5, 5c and 5s do

Canuck_2014
I Plan to Stick Around
Update: Latest firmware was installed. re: HP computer - does not recognize 5G wifi, but lower wifi signal and LAN are both limited to 50-60 mps max speed, which is half, and i'm assuming because the HP can only handle that much bandwidth. should be fine for Netflix on TV. re: Mac - still waiting for new GB switch to be delivered, - noticed that 5G wifi and LAN (w/o switch) give excellent results - when switch is used, and VOIP cable plug into port closest to cable from wall port, both the mac LAN and VOIP worked at half speed max of 60 mps. Thus functional, but i hope new switch gives better results closer to 100 mps for main purpose of working from home remotely and high speeds so essentially, only problem (pending new switch) is to tackle now is HP printer wifi connection. stay turned.

Also, what MODE is your 2.4 set in?

Assuming, that none of the devices on the 2.4 are G only (no N)... you will want to put your 2.4 (and your 5g) on N ONLY.

Leaving it on B/G/N or G/N, will HINDER your speed, and even though a device connects as N, most will throttle the speed down to G speeds (54Mbps).

Even on the 2.4, with N only setting, on the HP.. you SHOULD be able to pull a little more speed, i would think.

Canuck_2014
I Plan to Stick Around

please explain how to check/adjust MODE ? 

When you log into the hitron.. on the WIRELESS setup page..

There should be WIRELESS MODE

Change this to N (again, assuming there is nothing you have, which is G only and doesnt have N)

Canuck_2014
I Plan to Stick Around

Current settings are as follows: You sugguest changing to N only, but would that even make a difference ?

2.4 GHz:  802.11 b/g/n Mixed

5 GHz:     802.11 a/n mixed

Source: 

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless80211/a/aa80211standard.htm

thanks

yes, i would try changing it to N only.

Many routers if on mixed mode, will often force it down to the G max of 54 sometimes.
Putting it on N only, your going to know it will force it into the N speed range no matter what.