cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hitron Modem Brutal for PS4

Stive85
I'm Here A Lot

Hi everyone,

I've been fiddling with the router all day and reading different forums and the consesus is that this particuliar modem is quite brutal in terms of overall performance. The fact that a company like rogers could shell out a couple more bucks for decent secondary products is ridiculous.

Anyways, with most people here I am having trouble with my NAT connection, specifically on my PS4, where I can only get a moderate connection, where with the last router I had (cisco) it was always open, not laggy or anything.

I test my connection on my PS4 now and I get 12 mbps download and 3 upload roughly. I am under the 120 gb a month bundle.

Like I've said I have tried to fiddle away trying to open ports etc on the modem but nothing is working. I have no desire to buy a seperate wireless modem, as I expect something as simple as basic multiplayer to work on a what is said to be a decent modem from Canada's biggest carrier.

Any advice? Similiar problems? I'm ready to smash the thing! haha

***edited labels***

65 REPLIES 65

Re: New Hitron Modem Brutal for PS4

Aries-
I Plan to Stick Around
I tried getting it working with the new modem. Didnt work, the firmware made it worse. Acted like the new modem even when set as a bridge it was trying to route.
Went to the rogers place in town and got the basic CGN3 and all my issues are gone. Havent had a single nat type issue since.

Very interesting.  The CGN3 is running in Bridge mode correct?  I ran my CGN3 in Bridge mode with the RT-AC68U behind it, and now, the same with a CGN3ACSMR.  The difference is that I don't have any ports set for port forwarding or any DMZ set.

Aries-
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes it is. Straight from rogers to home. And only as a router long enough to change it to a bridge. Speed is the same as the new version of the CGN3 but im not getting any nat issues. Been in chats with people i had big issues and in 3 hours i had no nat issues with anyone. And tried tonight and no nat issues.

Ok, thanks.  I'll pass your observations along.  Is the PS4 running thru forwarded ports or in a DMZ?

Aries-
I Plan to Stick Around
Forwarded ports.
Only thing i can see, the other modem was used as a router first, had port forwarding, and other settings added in. The new modem was fresh, nothing ever done to it other than being hooked up and changed to a bridge.

Maybe, but if you did a factory reset to change back to Gateway mode from Bridge mode, those settings should have been wiped out.  It is possible with the CGN3ACSMR to log into 192.168.100.1 while the modem is in Bridge mode and change it back to Gateway mode without a factory reset.  But, in any event, running in Bridge mode should be straight forward and any NAT should be left to the router. 

Aries-
I Plan to Stick Around
Aye it should be. But the CGN3ACSMR doesnt seem to be if just changing the modem out to an older version fixed it.

This is an open question for anyone running a PS4 who have or had a CGN3ACSMR.  Do  you have connect and disconnect problems from the modem with all PS4 functions, or are there specific games that exhibit these problems.  Can you post that here so that I can pass this along to the Modem Products Manager.

Aries-
I Plan to Stick Around
Only game so far that i have that us strictly online is destiny. When it was acting up it was mainly a "baboon" error (bungee's error name). Other than that it was just the voice chat on the PS4 and in game having NAT type issues.

I signed up for Rogers two weeks ago coming from Bell Aliant FibreOp where I had no issues with the PS4. I was using my Asus RT-AC68U instead of the provided Bell router.

For Rogers, I was given the CGN3ACSMR and I set it up in bridge mode and again used my AC68U.  With this setup, I was getting NAT errors when having a party chat on the PS4.  I would drop connections to one party member at a time and would have to leave the party and join back in t resolve it. I was the only party member having that issue.  I tried opening ports and adding the PS4 to the DMZ but neither of these worked.

After seeing this thread, I exchanged the CGN3ACSMR for a CGN3 at a Rogers store.  I've used the party chat on the PS4 for three hours since getting the CGN3 (bridge mode) and have had ZERO NAT issues.  Also, when doing the test internet connection on the PS4, the NAT test is instant whereas with the CGN3ACSMR it would take 5-10 seconds to complete and the PS4 would give a connection warning at the bottom of the screen. 

Kazzorak
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the modem and it's garbage. I literally have issues with being disconnected from every games online all the time with this thing. When I had the Cisco I had ZERO issues.... but now I can't get that modem any more. I'm getting close to just cancelling my Rogers and going to Bell instead. This is honestly the WORST modem in the history of me having internet!

Kazzorak
I've Been Here Awhile

I have literally tried eveything with this router, DMZ, Port Forwarding, swapping it out with a new one. And I still get constant disconnects while trying to game online. My PS4 keeps getting NAT issues and when I try to game on my PC it starts to lag horribly or disconnects from the game itself (ie: WoW, Hearthstone, Diablo 3). They game me this new router when I moved and put me on a new package and took my old Cisco router away. Is there any way to get that Cicso router back? I had ZERO issues gaming with it. If there is now firmware fix or they can't give me my old modem back I guess I'm looking at switching to Bell.

Aelph
I Plan to Stick Around

Kazzorak
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks  🙂

Dragus
I Plan to Stick Around
So I wanted to wait a few days before I posted anything.

Prior to the firmware update I would still get nat party voice chat issues on ps4 with bridged router and dmz.

After firmware I have not gotten a single nat problem.

Just so I have this correct, the modem is bridged and your PS4 is running in a DMZ on a follow-on router? Or is the modem bridged and you are using a second port on the modem to run your PS4 which is basically in a DMZ as the second port in bridged mode would not provide any firewall capability unless you had a router installed on that port as well?

I would like to be clear on your modem and router(?) configuration so that I know what to indicate to other forum members who have problems with the PS4.

Dragus
I Plan to Stick Around

rogers modem is in bridge mode.

ps4 is on follow-on router with the dmz settings.

Thanks very much.  After the update, did you try running the PS4 directly off of the modem with the modem running in Gateway mode, just to see if it would work as expected?  Just wondering?

Dragus
I Plan to Stick Around
Hey i'll start testing tomorrow. Just Trials of Osiris @ Destiny is still on and don't want nat issues or random boots 🙂

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Jumping in on this one a little late.

I am using the CGN3ACSMR on Firmware 4.5.8.16 in Gateway Mode. I played a couple of games on my PS4 and things are running very well for me.

I heard Destiny players are having a similar issue to the one i have mentioned in this thread and Fans have a created a matchmaking website(they also made one for GTA). I don't play Destiny yet so can comment on the performance but i plan on picking it up soonSmiley Very Happy

To anyone in the Community having gaming issues, We have a new topic here . Provide some details on the issues/what game you are playing.

1. The game/games you are having issues with

2. The configuration you are using(Internet Package, Gateway/Bridge Mode,Wired/Wireless etc)

3. Any troubleshooting you have performed

4. Performance of other games if applicable

5. Modem Signal Levels and connection test results for that platform

RogersAsif

Noticed the OP was pulling "12 mbps download and 3 upload roughly" on his Playstation connection test.

The best i got over wireless is 38 Mbps download and 5 upload and im on Ignite 100. I can pull 100+ on my Macbook(non-ac) over wireless from the same exact spot.

It would be nice to see the Next-Gen consoles include a much more upgraded network card as the one in the PS4 doesn't let you connect to 5G aswell.

What type of speeds is everyone else getting?

RogersAsif

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats