New HD4250 And some channels not working.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

New HD4250 And some channels not working.

I just installed a new Rogers HD 4250.  I called in to have it authorized with no problems.  However, several channels say

"Channel Not Available."  This begins with Rogers Sportsnet West.  I am able to access these channels on other TV's in the house.  I used this web site to reset all my digital boxes.  Unfortunately, this has not solved the problem.

Thank You

***Edited labels***

I've Been Around

Re: New HD4250 And some channels not working.

I have the same problem. Just picked up the new NEXTBOX HD, and find that some of the channels aren't working aswell. But on my digital terminal, they work.( ei: Diva, Global Calgary...etc). I call tech support, and they said that a tech has to come to the house. They wouldn't tell me what is going to be done. I think it's there way of snooping around....

Nelson

I Plan to Stick Around

I read on this forum that the new Cisco boxes are very sensitive to a weaker signal .... use top quality cable, don't split it and don't use cheap extension connects to join cables for a long run.

The guy that installed my two networked Cisco boxes two days ago went to great lengths to replace two runs completely, and hunted down an extension piece in the third. He also replaced about 5 or 6 end pieces to ensure a good signal. Actually, I'm happy to pay the $49 install fee for what I got as I believe the cable and hardware alone would have cost as much. Was a good guy too ..... worked fast, pleasant and answered all my questions no problem.  He also mentioned he knew a lot of people didn't like the new menu's etc .... so he was honest about it. I find the menu's OK .... but OK is not a reason to upgrade. Its the lost features that p_ss me off.

So although the new Cisco netboxes are lame, hopefully upgrades in the future with improve them. One thing is for sure, the "free" rental on these boxes for 2 years is a good thing .... i would be P.O. to spend $500 to buy one the way they are now.

KC

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I will 100% agree with KC on this one as to your problem

They are not there to SNOOP or anything else.. the techs, really couldnt give a crap.

The newer boxes, are more sensitive to slightly weaker signals.. so signal problems, are alot more relivent and show up more, on them vs the older boxes.

As long as they are not doing any MAJOR runs.. just maybe replace a splitter at where it comes in our outside.. a few peices of cable, etc... you normaly will not even get a charge at all.

While new IPG has some growing pains.. its moving ahead.. which it has to keep competitive to others.
Just compare it to windows.
When 98 was out, and then XP came out.. EVERYONE was against XP.. swear up and down, didnt work with this and that, etc.. ILL NEVER SWITCH.
Now.. even with windows vista then 7 out.. the MAJORITY of machine, are still running XP, its still the windows OS of choice for many.. people grew into it, things were fixed, etc... it will get there:)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

While new IPG has some growing pains.. its moving ahead.. which it has to keep competitive to others.
Just compare it to windows.
When 98 was out, and then XP came out.. EVERYONE was against XP.. swear up and down, didnt work with this and that, etc.. ILL NEVER SWITCH.
Now.. even with windows vista then 7 out.. the MAJORITY of machine, are still running XP, its still the windows OS of choice for many.. people grew into it, things were fixed, etc... it will get there:)

Ya, the other thing to consider here is that Rogers probably had NO choice in the matter. Cisco was updating the boxes and killing off the old. I worked for Cisco for 7 years .... Its all about revenue, period. And they are huge, bigger than Nortel was. Bigger means further away from understanding what even their own customers actually want.

Ciso was big on selling new ways for their customers like Rogers to develop new revenue streams .... LOL..... maybe the sensitivity of the new boxes to signal strength is on purpose???? Remember MS's transition from XP to Vista .... brutal. The "new" coke ..... same thing.

Mr Roger's can you say "out of touch".

Its true that that Rogers looks bad with this 'upgrade' though .... Can't argue with that.

KC