New HD box (4642) with 'enhanced' menu ... can I change to old (faster) menu?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

New HD box (4642) with 'enhanced' menu ... can I change to old (faster) menu?

When the new 'enhanced' guide came out for my HD box (i think it's the HD4642).  I gave it a try.  While I wasn't pick about the new look, it was SLOW.   There was an obvious lag/delay when browsing channels.  It made for a very unpleasant TV experience.  It was such a hugh downgrade that I called up an requested to get my old menu back.  No problem -  got my old menu back.

My question now is if I purchase a new HD4642 that possibly already has the new 'enhanced' menu installed - can I also revert back to the old menu although it may never have been originally installed?

Thanks to anyone who can confirm this!

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New HD box (4642) with 'enhanced' menu ... can I change to old (faster) menu?

I beleive you can on any of them.
I beleive its a whole OS push so to speak and overwites.

I have not Done it myself though, so just going off collected info.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: New HD box (4642) with 'enhanced' menu ... can I change to old (faster) menu?

I went to the troubleshooting menu and selected 'restore firmware to default', and it didn't work.  I suppose I'll have to call....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have always been a little leery on the web based way of doing it..

IE: there is a button to say 're authorise box'... what box? I have 3 of them.. which one are you doing it to? 

At least with calling in, you can have the person make sure they are on/pointing at the RIGHT box.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

The Cisco's with the new RTN firmware has 2 layouts to that menu, for example, when you press guide, 1 of the layouts shows the current channel down in the lower right corner of the screen with the guide on the top half.  The 2nd type of layout has the current channel showing in the background, while the actual guide overlays on top of the channel (current channel doesn't shrink).

There is an option whithin the menu system to choose which layout you'd prefer, I think its called Classic, and Modern.

The troubleshooting section of the menu, where you chose to reset firmware to default only changes it back to classic I believe. It has nothing to do with the "actual" firmware loaded on the box. I believe that "reset to default" also wipes your hard drive and puts the box into factory fresh state - but RTN software remains.

The only way to remove the software would be to call into the office, and ask to downgrade, they physically have to remove a product code from your account which will send an update to your equipment, cause it to reboot and re-download the regular firmware (SARA).  All Cisco's (4642 & 8642) can be downgraded to the older firmware, however Rogers obviously would prefer you to stay with the newer firmware.

GDkitty, the re-authorize you speak of will send a "zap" to ALL your boxes on your account, there really is no way to single out a perticular box for this, nor would one have to.  The office re-authorizes, or zaps your account which sends the signal to all your boxes, telling them (all) to become authorized or to accept new channels, etc.

Makes it a lot easier for a customer who has for example... 6 digital terminals.. if the customer went on vacation for 2 months, and powered down his home, he would come back to see all boxes showing - - - - .  He could make 1 call, tell them to zap his account which would fire back up all his boxes all at once, versus having the rep go in and zap 1 at a time..

I've Been Around

Did you lose our programs when you downgraded ???
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On the 8642 pvr menu, you will loose your recordings when downgrading, so make sure you have viewed them all first.