New Droid Razr can't seem to Hotspot! WHY???

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: New Droid Razr can't seem to Hotspot! WHY???

"Sadly it was a simple phone switch.. So it has to be handset related. I switched from a Nexus One to a Razr. I can pop my SIM back into my old phone, and tethtering works fine. New phone and tethering doesn't work. All the APN's are entered correctly. I'm holding out hope that an Ice cream sandwich update will save me from throwing my razr out the window."

That was from his post. 😛
kacollie
I've Been Around

Its because its running 2.3.5 android which is made no avoid tethering, some versions depending on which carrier block access to the tethering menu in android. Other's allow it but block the connection to google (turning the connection from green = google connected to white = not google connected) 

You can download apps like 1-click hotspot or tethering, I forget the exact name but they will give you access to the menu. Also you must have the "tethering APN" 

Name: Internet Tethering

APN: isp.apn

MMS: WAP 2.0

MCC:302

MNC:720

APN type: dun

Leave the rest blank

Technoir
I've Been Here Awhile

This is absolutely correct.  When I got my new corporate-provided Razr, running 2.3.5, turning on the hot spot would lock up the phone, forcing a cold reboot. 

In prep for an upcoming road trip, I spent the day updating all my devices (laptop, rocketstick, razr, android tablet, iphone, digital camera, gps, etc), and my Razr updated to 2.3.6, and voila! tethering/hot spot works fine. 

I am on a corporate shared data plan.

varmint
I've Been Here Awhile

I posted this in another thread about HotSpot, solved my hotspot problem.

My plan already has tethering and after ICS update on my GNote tethering stopped working. It acts like it works, my tablet gets an IP address from my phone but it will not route traffic. I found a solution FoxFI

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

And you don't need to be rooted.