New Cable Customer - Signal Not strong enough on upstairs lines

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

New Cable Customer - Signal Not strong enough on upstairs lines

Hello,

Just had Cable installed yesterday. I currently have Teksavvy so the gentleman who set up the nextbox split the line coming in. 1 to teksavvy modem and one to the tv - works perfectly fine. Later that night I split the nextbox signal line into another splitter and I am not getting the signal up into the bedroom (cable was run when house was built 12 years ago), but the signal going to the nextbox is fine. I tried switching it to another cable that I ran to our office and the nextbox/office connection worked great.

I now have a tech coming tomorrow night to fix the problem. What will he do? Will he re-run the cable? Amplifier?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Cable Customer - Signal Not strong enough on upstairs lines

It may depend.

LIKELY, from how you described.. even the SPLITTER you put in, may be fine (though it could be a bad splitter), like is more the line up to the other room.

The tech may do a number of things.

An amp, is a possibility.. i have one of these in my place.. its only on the TV lines. 

They likely will put in their OWN splitter (Which may be better quality than the one you put in)

Unfortunately, they will NOT re run the cable 😞  Just due to how houses are built, the cable run isnt just always a pull it through, i can be stapled, etc behind the walls, etc.  Rogers wont do running through walls in general as they are too liable for any damage otherwise they can cause.
Only thing they can sometimes do, is run one OUTSIDE the house (had this at my old house).. run one from where it goes in, back out.. along the outside of the house.. and through the wall into the new room.  This obviously isnt a standard choice for alot of people.

(Rogers in the end, is only liable for the connection from the street, into the house where it may split as you have it, those splitters, etc there..  and the connection out of the wall, into the box.  IF its an open area, that they can run a cable (say a basement not fished with open ceiling) they can run stuff across there, etc.)

I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers will replace cheap sub-standard splitters and connectors no charge, if that's the problem.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@aliciat wrote:

Hello,

Just had Cable installed yesterday.  Later that night I split the nextbox signal line into another splitter and I am not getting the signal up into the bedroom.

I now have a tech coming tomorrow night to fix the problem. What will he do? Will he re-run the cable? Amplifier?

He's gonna remove the line IF your NOT on billing for it, then he's gonna report it to Rogers, where you will see a charge applied to your account on your next billing cycle. 

I'm assuming that your NOT paying for a second tv line, otherwise the tech would have wired it up when he was there on the first visit.  Instead YOU MODIFIED THE ORIGINAL setup, and are now calling Rogers in to fix a problem YOU created - therefore you could and SHOULD be charged.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, that may depend on the tech.. how nice/rude they are.  Most of the ones i have dealt with, are pretty good at least in my city.. but may varry there.

Correct, you CAN be charged for the visit, if it was an issue you created.  Weither the tech marks it as that, is another story.

As long as your plan has enough 'digital outlets' you wont have any aditional charges for an extra line or whatever.. it would be covered.. just weither your charged for the visit or not in general.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I know I sound a bit harsh in my response about being charged, however everyone feels the pinch when Rogers increases their rates... and a lot of it would be due to customers causing unecessary service calls.... just like the insurance industry, this COSTS EVERYONE in the end.

Rogers has to pay for a technichian to go out to your home, and spend x amount of time.  This takes away from other customers who are truly experiencing problems, and truly need a tech out to do work.

I was strictly basing my comments on the OP's post about adding his own splitter, and running his own line - this would lead one to believe that he is not on billing for it.  Now if the tech was supposed to do this, and did not during his initial visit, then that warrants not only a second visit, but also a complaint against the original tech.  But its HIGHLY unlikely that a tech would have left the customers home without completing all the necessary work on his work order.

Now with all things aside, your right GD, I believe the charge is somewhat based on what the tech says or puts in his work order.  But I'm trying to convey to people that its not an innocent service call... in the end, we all pay for those unecessary calls.

I'm a Senior Advisor

It is ni Rogers best interests that the customer receives a decent signal at the TV. A service call to check signal strength and replacing some poor splitters and connectors, maybe installing a booster, is the cost of doing business. If Rogers won't fix a crappy picture, the customer will go elsewhere.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

It is ni Rogers best interests that the customer receives a decent signal at the TV. A service call to check signal strength and replacing some poor splitters and connectors, maybe installing a booster, is the cost of doing business. If Rogers won't fix a crappy picture, the customer will go elsewhere.

Oh, 100% agreed.

Thats why i was saying, though it could TECHNICALY be a chargable visit, they usualy wont.

But its important that the user lets rogers know when they come, what they want, and to do it all, etc. 

When they set it up, they set it up to hopefuly good signal standards.. but based on what is currently plugged in.  Adding an aditional splitter in the mix from what was measured before, they cant guarantee that it will work properly.

But yes, its in their best interest to fix it, if its a simple thing, for free, to keep the customer.