cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

haguuhar
I Plan to Stick Around

I just changed from a hybrid fibre 30 (with CGN2 modem) to the Rogers Ignite 60 (with the CGN3ACSMR modem). I'm not sure why, but I now get firewall errors when I try to load up the game. The internet works fine, other than the specific case in the game. Does anyone know what is happening, or how to fix it? I have tried port forwarding, turning the modem into bridge mode, even disabling the router's firewall. None of these options have fixed the problem.

*Edited Labels***

768 REPLIES 768

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

Out of curiosity, are you using manually set port forwarding rules or using UPNP on the modem in conjunction with the setup function on the PS3?

Lightro
I've Been Here Awhile

I haven't done any port forwarding or changed any settings. Under the Settings and Connection Status List on my PS3 UPNP is listed as available. I'm not sure if that means I'm using it or it is just available for use. When I set up the connection I chose the easy setup method on the PS3 which basically just scans for your wifi signal, asks for the password and connects the system. 

Ok, thanks. I suspect that the Easy Setup uses the modems UPNP to set the port forwarding rules as well.  If you were to log into the modem, and go to the BASIC.... PORT FORWARDING page, you should be able to see the rules that have been set.  Thanks again.

Xpblazerx
I Plan to Stick Around
So I got the newest firmware today and it does fix the league issue, but I've read their is a bug in the firmware where you can't connect to the 5gz band or the 2.4 GHz band. I'm having that issue right now. I have an AC adapter and it is not detecting either one of those bands..... Is their a fix for this or a firmware update soon???

There is a bug, but its a control problem for the wifi.  If you disable one network, both are disabled.  So, its either all or none for the wifi.  Do you see the 2.4 and 5Ghz LEDs lit at the front of the modem?  There is another issue with this version as well.  It appears that if the modem loses power and restarts, the wifi LEDs will not reflect the true operating state of the wifi networks.  The way to resolve that is to run a factory reset by holding down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then releasing it.

To check the modem output, you can use inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  Below is a link to the last freebie version.  It does not display 802.11ac networks, but the new version out not does.  Its gone to a pay version this time around, but if you use 802.11ac network, for the $20, its worth it.  The new version can be used on a normal b/g/n laptop as the application reads the transmit headers and displays the operating networks. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

According to the CGN3V4 Manual, the choice of 802.11n and 802.11ac for that version of modem is mutually exclusive.  The choice as indicated in the manual is as follows:

802.11 11n 5G: use IEEE 802.11n (5GHz)
802.11 11a: use IEEE 802.11a
802.11 B/G/N Mixed: use IEEE 802.11a and
802.11n
802.11 11ac: use IEEE 802.11ac (5GHz only)

Is that how its actually presented in the CGN3ACSMR?

Darkthunder
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently signed up with Rogers on the student plan and I am having issues with League of legends as well. My modem's firmware is 4.4.8.14

It is a CGN3ACSMR. everything runs well and am happy with the services except the fact that I can't play League or Blizzard games online.

Modem has been up and running for roughlyy 6 days now.

Ideas?

Welcome to the Community @Darkthunder

Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps and we can look into this for you. 

Thanks,

RogersAsif

Darkthunder
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks @RogersAsif. I sent the PM. lets hope this can be done soon. Been 1 week since I played some League

Xpblazerx
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, this is what ive found out so far. So the 2.4ghz LED was on but not the 5ghz for some reason. So i went reset the router, still only 2.4ghz shows. I then went into the settings set the 2.4ghz to only use N band and the 5ghz to only use AC band and the 5ghz LED came back on the router. I can connect thru wirelessly with my on board laptop wireless card which only uses N band, but when i connect my usb adapter wireless card (uses AC band) it doesnt connect to either the 2.4ghz or 5. Not sure what the issue... Any other solutions or workarounds ? 

Did you disable the onboard wifi card when you went to use the usb adapter?  What model is the USB adapter?

Xpblazerx
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, and I should have asked, did you enable the usb adapter as well.  I assume that there was a setup file that you had to run which should give you access to the device settings, unless its designed to be accessed thru the windows network settings and control windows.

Try this.  Load inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  This is the last freebie version that will allow you to monitor the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that are running around you.  It doesn't display 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band so you won't have a complete picture of what is up and running in the 5 Ghz band, but there is a newer pay version ($20 US) that will.  If you intend to run ac networks its worth it.  

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

When you run the application it should give you a choice of adapters if both adapters were up and running.  However, if the USB adapter is enabled, and the onboard wifi card is disabled, it should default to the usb adapter and show the networks that it can receive.  Don't expect great performance from the USB adapter due to its size and the fact that its easy to shield.  First task it just to get it connected and running.  When the adapter is running properly, and you bring up the application, you should be able to see both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that the adapter can detect.

What you might have to do, if you haven't done it already, is navigate to the Network and Sharing Center and change the network settings to set up a new connection.

Xpblazerx
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Yup, the usb adapter was setup as well. It has a D-Link application to access the networks available. The funny thing is before the router got updated to the newest version that fixes the League issues, the adapter was working perfectly fine on both bands... I'll try to get my hands on the paid version of the program you linked and tell you how it goes.

hmm, ok, thats a little interesting, and it changes the circumstances as well.  Have you run a factory reset on the modem and then reset and reenabled the wifi networks?

Ok, just thinking here, you will probably have to go in and remove the laptop's network profiles, and then reconnect to the modem, or, remove the USB device altogether, and then reinstall it.  My guess is that there has been some change that results in the modem wifi networks no longer matching the stored (USB) network profiles, so the USB device is unable to connect with the modem following the firmware update.

Windows 7:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/how-to-delete-a-wifi-network-p...

Windows 8.1 or 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles

Xpblazerx
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, did a factory reset on modem and on usb adapter couple times and tried connecting still same issue. Removed all the saved profiles as well, no luck. I even tried this on my desktop computer running windows 7 and still same thing its not detecting anything other than my 2.4 ghz band and even then it doesnt connect (same thing on my laptop btw).

hmm, sounds like its unserviceable.  Hope you can exchange it.  Two computers, same result, only common element being the USB device.  My bet is the USB device no longer works for some reason.

One last thing I would do, is kick the modem's 5 Ghz network into n mode instead of ac and see what happens.  I haven't seen any complaints of problems with ac networks on this modem with the latest firmware.  But there is always the first time.  That is another common element, ac mode for the modem.

Xpblazerx
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, but do you know whats even more funny. My usb adapter works with my school wifi 0.0..... Like it works literally everywhere else except my house....

okay, thats more food for thought.  Runs both n and ac at school or n only if the school router is set for n only?  And does it run both 2.4 and 5 Ghz at school?  This is just a process of elimination, one by one.  When you're troubleshooting, never assume anything.  The proof is in the pudding so to speak.  And so far, from what you are indicating, its looking like the modem update has done something that is preventing the modem from communicating with the USB device.  Swapping the modem would prove or disprove that theory pretty quickly.  

When you deleted the network profiles, did you remove every one?

Xpblazerx
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, not sure what band the schools wifi runs. I'd assume it's AC or N, but most likely AC. This was a day and half ago though. The school has one Wifi Network name, i didnt check if it was 5ghz or 2.4ghz. Yes i deleted them one by one. 

Ill check again tommorow to see if it connects properly, like you said it could be something wrong with the adapter too. 

EDIT: Also cant i connect a router to the modem? Like see if my usb recgonizes the router and see if it connects? I dont its just a thought i had.

Tomorrow, when you are at school, open the Network and Sharing Center and select the wifi network link that is to the right of "Connections:"

That will show you the connection rate for the adapter.  It also works for ethernet connections as well.  

That speed will tell you if you are connecting at n or ac rates.  If it shows 450, you could be using either n or ac.  If its showing 866 Mbp/s or higher, then its running ac.  I'm looking for the max data rate, which is not on the spec sheet.  Thats a little interesting.  And, this is only a draft 802.11ac device, so, not fully compliant with 802.11 ac, fwiw.....  I suspect that the USB device is only a dual antenna device, therefore limited to 300 Mb/s total throughput in n mode, but I'll have to do a little more digging to confirm that.

If you have a router on hand, you can absolutely connect that to the modem.  If thats the case and you want to run the router as your main router, kick the modem into Bridge mode by logging into it, navigating to BASIC..... GATEWAY FUNCTION page and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  When you save the setting, it will reboot the modem into Bridge mode, after which you will need a router running in full router mode.

To switch the modem out of Bridge mode, with the router in place and running, log into the modem using 192.168.100.1 and then you can navigate to the same GATEWAY FUNCTION page to enable the Residential Gateway Function.

You can run the router with the modem in Gateway mode as well.  If the router has an Access Point mode you would select that and connect the modem LAN port to the router WAN port.  If it doesn't have an Access Point mode, connect the modem LAN port to one of the router's LAN ports.  In that case, prior to that connection, you have to log into the router, and disable the DHCP function in the router so that the modem supplies the IP address for all devices.  Set the wifi to disabled in the modem and set it up on the router and you should be good to go after you connect the router as indicated and restart it.

Xpblazerx
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, alright im not at school right now, but i will definetly get that checked out. Also ill try to connect my router in later tonight and give you the results later on today. Thanks soooo much for helping though. Appreciate it.

Talk to you soon.