I just changed from a hybrid fibre 30 (with CGN2 modem) to the Rogers Ignite 60 (with the CGN3ACSMR modem). I'm not sure why, but I now get firewall errors when I try to load up the game. The internet works fine, other than the specific case in the game. Does anyone know what is happening, or how to fix it? I have tried port forwarding, turning the modem into bridge mode, even disabling the router's firewall. None of these options have fixed the problem.
Solved! Solved! Go to Solution.
Got the firmware pushed two days after the request, here are my thoughts:
Absolutely no more problems gaming, league in particular. On top of that, I can now play on wifi (issues before the firmware) with no latency issues or frequent disconnects.
The latency is very stable as is everything else.
Thank-you Rogers for your attention to this matter, you've made me a happy customer!
I got the firmware pushed through this afternoon, and I definitely regret doing it now.
Every 5 minutes or so the internet will disconnect. I have no idea what is causing it, but it wasn't happening at all before, and now it's a constant. Any suggestions on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated, because the internet is currently more unusable than ever. At least before the only issue was that I wasn't able to connect to league games, now everything is problematic.
Got the patch about 30 hours after contacting, game is working flawless now, not a single firewall error in the past 10 games I have played.
Thank you Rogers for taking the time to find a solution, I was going mental.
I'm experiencing the same thing.
I get the firewall error much less now, maybe 1/10 times I won't connect immediately to the game. In the past I would have to force quit the game window and click "reconnect" on the client many many times to fix it. Now it is fixed on the first try, just force quit and reconnect once.
Overall, much better experience and able to get spawn into base at the same time as everyone else finally. Would like know the root of this firewall issue in the end but oh wells. Not all questions can be answered... especially when it comes to Mac Beta client...
Have a look at the first post in this thread;
And...send the MAC address and Cable Account Refererence Number to @CommunityHelps
Just got the firmware pushed in less than 12 hours. I'm impressed...
Although, I only had time to play 2 games of league so far, and both times I connected without issues.
Everything appears to be working fine now :). Thank you!
I requested the firmware update and received it within 24 hours. Version is now 18.104.22.168.
Following the update my Blizzard games still had issues, and the 2.4G wireless no longer worked (when it had been working previously). The 5G still worked though.
After a hard reboot of the modem all game issues were resolved and both wireless were working.
It was a headache getting here but I'm happy to say everything seems all good now!
Yes, all played on a PC that is wired to the modem (i.e. not wireless). Not in gateway mode, but I did add all the port forwarding for Blizzard games to the modem and my PC when the issues started happening with this modem.
Before the firmware patch WoW would have huge latency spikes for the "home" measurement (going well over 2000 ms), making it pretty much unplayable. HotS would also sometimes experience large lag spikes after matches ended, resulting in no experience being rewarded after some matches.
I got the firmware right away and no issue at all with the firewall issue now with LoL. However, I'm getting some serious lag spike issues going from 75ms to >400ms in a matter of seconds and it's becoming quite unbearable to play. I'm currently connected to 5G wireless as there is no cable outlet in the room. Is there anything I can do to the wireless settings to get rid of this lag spike issue?
The question is, is there a cable signal issue afoot, or possibly a wifi issue? Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.....DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into a new thread. That way I can check the signal levels and signal to noise ratios and keep that issue separate from this thread.
Here is a link to the last freebie version of inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application. It monitors both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks but does not display 802.11ac networks. There is a new pay version out that does display 802.11ac networks that are operating within range of the laptop, and for $20 U.S., its worth buying. Load the freebie version on your laptop, and, assuming that you are not using an 802.11ac network, it will show if there are other routers nearby that might be interfering with your network, keeping in mind that the 5 Ghz networks don't reach as far as a 2.4 Ghz network.
The firmware update is working great so far fixed allot of issues with my games, and has also fixed an issue with Teamviewer not connecting.
Can't wait until the next stable update keep up the good work.
If any one is reading this and is having problems be it with TeamViewer, Gaming, or League of legends the solution is here.
A bit shoutout to @CommunityHelps for being awesome and helping people out.
I will update this post if I have anything to add later.